2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

maybe some of y'all skinny guys cant understand this, but guys of his size can add 9 pounds with a weekend of eating poorly 😂. I'm between 300 and 315 depending on the scale and the day. Scale could account for it. 

Could also be a medical condition, which is doubtful but possible. He would have to have congestive heart failure or something, which would have been discovered by now. 

Beyond those two excuses, my professional opinion is that dude arrested during the combine, has been dealing with a lot, and has probably been stress eating and feeling sorry for himself. These are issues, but not issues that can't be corrected. If this is the case, hearing his name called on draft night will probably correct these problems. Definitely going to cause him to fall, but I am 100% taking him or as ET suggested "auctioning off" the pick at 12. There is too much potential there to not draft him with a 2nd 1st round pick. 

I will be shocked if he falls out of the top 10 and gets past Chicago. They could be the luckiest team in the draft. Trade down from 1 and still get the guy they may have started this process wanting at 1.  

• Like 1

We’ve had a decent off season. Added starters at G, DT, S, WR. 

we still have starting level needs at 

QB
WR (maybe)
C
Edge
Linebacker
CB

we have 5 picks in the first two days currently. I wouldn’t be shocked to see us make some trades and come away with more or less. 

there’s going to be a balance of need vs BPA

QB is obvious at pick 2

12 is tricky because BPA and need are not necessarily gonna line up

CB is probably down the list of needs but it might turn out that the BPA at 12 is a CB. There are 4 CBs that could go from 10-20 and we do have a huge need there still. 

WR is a hard position to evaluate. It’s possible that at 12, every WR is still on the board and we could have our pick, so would it be worth a slight reach to get the best WR in the draft? Do we try and trade down a get an extra 3rd or 4th rounder? Do we trade way back in the 1st and maybe get a 2024 1st? This is interesting because it could put us in position to look decent while winning 5-7 games this year and go into next off season armed with 3 1sts. 

Our 2nd round pick could end up being a d-linemen  need vs BPA could line up here as several guys are in the 30s range on the d line  

Or do you teach for Schmitz at the top of round 2. We could legit come out of this draft with the best WR and best C but be reaching with both. Is a reach ok when you’re getting the best in the draft at that position? Need will eventually win out for someone. 

linebacker has to be the position in round 3. Maybe Andre Carter?

So I could see several possibilities for our we spend our picks 

1 - QB

12 - CB/WR/Edge

2nd - D-Line/C

3rd -LB/C

3rd - LB/C 

that’s my best guess 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

WR is a hard position to evaluate. It’s possible that at 12, every WR is still on the board and we could have our pick, so would it be worth a slight reach to get the best WR in the draft? Do we try and trade down a get an extra 3rd or 4th rounder? Do we trade way back in the 1st and maybe get a 2024 1st? This is interesting because it could put us in position to look decent while winning 5-7 games this year and go into next off season armed with 3 1sts. 

I’m on the record as saying WRs in this draft are very poor. I wouldn’t touch any of them with a top 64 pick (save for maybe JSN, assuming there’s a trade back to 18-20). 3rd round, you might be able to find some guys with athletic potential who never put it together and see if Bryce Young can get ‘em clicking. 

As much as this goes against my beliefs - if you’re drafting a guy at 12 and you’re set at drafting an offensive player/playmaker, Bijan Robinson is the best player you’ll get in that spot. I don’t like RBs in the 1st, but Robinson is the closest thing I’ve seen to LaDanian Tomlinson since LT was breaking off stiff arms as a Charger. If you think a player like Christian McCaffery would be good for this offense, Bijan makes a lot of sense (even with Dameon Pierce on the roster).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I’m on the record as saying WRs in this draft are very poor. I wouldn’t touch any of them with a top 64 pick (save for maybe JSN, assuming there’s a trade back to 18-20).

I agree. I've been lower and lower on quentin johnston, jsn is a clearly superior route runner, and he's much more elusive. I also agree that 12 might be too rich for jsn, though I can't say I'd be too upset about it. Bijan would be a game changer, he'd make the whole team better imo

50 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Bijan would be a game changer, he'd make the whole team better imo

That’s my train of thought as well. He just makes plays no matter where you line him up - put him all over the field, give him 5-8 touches as a traditional RB and 5-8 targets as a WR, get the ball in his hands however you can and let him get chunk yardage.

Dameon Pierce can get 15-20 traditional carries as a traditional RB and pound defenses as he does - which gives Robinson the opportunity to attack tired defenses in spaces he’s getting to from the slot or out of the shotgun. It’s not just swing passes, he’s reading defenses and sitting in the soft spot of the zones.

I think he could be a young QBs best friend - quick hitter who can chew up yardage. I’m still preferring a defensive player here (Lukas Van Ness or Christian Gonzalez, maybe Brian Branch if we get creative in the secondary) but if we’re looking for a guy our QB can rely on - Robinson is the most bang for your buck regardless of position.

• Like 2

Current Draft   Board

QB CJ Stroud //Anthony Richardson

RB Bihan Robinson // Tyjae Spears

WR Jonathan Mingo // A.T. Perry // Bryce Ford-Wheaton

TE Darnell Washington // Luke Musgrave // Tucker Kraft // Sam LaPorta // Luke Schoonmaker // Zack Kuntz

IOL Jon Gaines // Tyler Steen

Edge Will Anderson // Ade Adeboware // Nolan Smith // Byron Young (TN) // Andre Carter II

LB Drew Sanders // Jack Campbell // Yasir Abdullah 

CB Christian Gonzalez // Deonte Banks // Emmanuel Forbes // Cory Trice Jr.

Edit: added Andre Carter II b/c (1) from Mo City & (2) has ELITE bend

Edited by jch1911

11 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

well at least we got a 5th round pick back.  If my math serves me correct, we have 14 draft picks.

13 - we lost one as part of the salary cap error in 2020. A 5th rounder, so we’re back in that round now.

Yeah, so the Devin Singletary signing reduces the need for another RB. Robinson goes from being a nice potential option to a bit redundant - maybe a day 3 guy is picked up? That’s all I can think of, we’re still missing one more guy.

So, I am rethinking the options at 1.12, and Jaxon Smith-Njigba is the offensive player I’d want at the spot. JSN could be redundant with John Metchie, but he does have a skillset that can translate to a boundary WR. Still my 4th choice behind defensive bodies or trading down, but it’s the only offensive player I see impacting the team long term.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, so the Devin Singletary signing reduces the need for another RB. Robinson goes from being a nice potential option to a bit redundant - maybe a day 3 guy is picked up? That’s all I can think of, we’re still missing one more guy.

So, I am rethinking the options at 1.12, and Jaxon Smith-Njigba is the offensive player I’d want at the spot. JSN could be redundant with John Metchie, but he does have a skillset that can translate to a boundary WR. Still my 4th choice behind defensive bodies or trading down, but it’s the only offensive player I see impacting the team long term.

My JSN comp is Devante Adams. Both have similar profiles coming out of college. 

Plus the Shanny O is all about shiet yardage throws with guys that can get some YAC

• Like 1