Texans Trade DB Lonnie Johnson, Jr to Chiefs

chiefs82

7 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Man what could be with that dude, if he had any ball skills at all he would be a great CB. Just seemed happy to be running with the WR lol. I don't wanna totally poop on the guy he played quite a bit for us and seemed to overcome the injury big he had.

I think previous injuries really stunted his development. I was really excited when Minnesota drafted him, and ecstatic when he had a pick 6 in his first ever NFL game.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:43 AM, MaximusGluteus said:

The only thing I remember him for is cheap shotting Jace Sternberger at a joint practice (not a game, freaking practice) and knocking him out for half his rookie season.  For whatever reason Sternberger never seemed to recover from that.  Or maybe he just wasn't very good, either.  

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

I remember that! He doubled down on it by talking trash on InstaTwitter or TokBook or something. Friendster, maybe?

This made me think of a play - Texans/Titans, it was a goal-to-go situation (from the 4ish yard line) for the Titans and the Titans went to Derrick Henry. Lonnie read the hole well, got into position, saw Henry and absolutely made a business decision to just stand there 3 yards deep in the end zone, letting Henry walk in untouched.

I mean, I don’t BLAME him for such a play - but for such a tough guy, he really shied away on that one.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 9:31 PM, Chiefs_5627 said:

Man what could be with that dude, if he had any ball skills at all he would be a great CB. Just seemed happy to be running with the WR lol. I don't wanna totally poop on the guy he played quite a bit for us and seemed to overcome the injury big he had.

He wasnt even that good at following the receivers around. And if they were bigger than him, he couldnt make a play on the ball or tackle after the catch.

He had that one game against Oakland where he punched the ball out 3 times, but that never repeated itselg lol.

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Bust?

A sign of the rookies showing up. McDuffie, Joshua Williams, and Jaylen Watson have all been getting a ton of praise in camp. Johnson would've been good insurance if Williams and/or Watson looked more like they needed to be stashed on the practice squad for awhile. But no room for Lonnie with all three rookies doing well, and with Fenton and Sneed as locks. This gives him a chance to catch on somewhere else still.

39 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He's really bad at football, though.

Any chance he could stick at safety or corner in a different system, as he has good athleticism for his size? Maybe he's not good at either, but man, it seemed like there was some talent in there.

55 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Any chance he could stick at safety or corner in a different system, as he has good athleticism for his size? Maybe he's not good at either, but man, it seemed like there was some talent in there.

Doubtful - he played S his last year in Houston, was just as bad.

21 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Maybe he could go the Kyle Hamilton route--too soon, Ravens fans? @ray reed--and be a nickel linebacker. Hmm 🤔.

That's how Travis Kelce victimized him - in that big Nickel role. 

He's just not good at football.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:19 AM, Chiefs_5627 said:

Veach's yearly reclamation project of a high(ish) draft pick. I don't know the player at all but for the comp it's worth kicking the tires I suppose.

Maybe Justin Reid pounded the table for him?

Does Reid have pound the table status anywhere?