2023 Draft Talk

swede700

3 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

No, I’ll pass. I won’t a QB that is accurate and control the game. I want nothing to do with a QB having “ UPSIDE “… No, either you have it or not. I don’t care about a 40 time or a back flip. Would be the biggest mistake in the franchise’s history to trade up and take Richardson. 

Well Patrick Mahomes wasn't a surefire thing either. If he was, he would have gone #1 overall. Every QB is a "project" or a "projection" until they aren't. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Well Patrick Mahomes wasn't a surefire thing either. If he was, he would have gone #1 overall. Every QB is a "project" or a "projection" until they aren't. 

Exactly.  I was dumbfounded when Mahomes was taken as high as he was...and traded up for even.  I think we were all wrong...he was certainly one of those guys that was a lot of projection because the system he was coming from was so different from the pro-style.

You never really know what you're going to get.  "Sure" things like Andrew Luck and Trevor Lawrence (and neither one is or was as good as they were expected to be, although they're still very good) don't come along all that often...so if I'm going to bet, especially in the 1st round, I'm betting on upside.  A guy like Richardson may flame out, but if he's in the right situation, he could soar.  I'd think a situation like the Vikings have currently would be perfect for him, while a situation like the Colts (or definitely the Raiders) would not.   

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

-I’d move up to #3 for CJ Stroud and give #23, #87, Hunter, *2024 1st rounder. 
-On the night of April 27th, ask Cousins if he will consider waving his NTC if a QB needy team approached them for a trade
-I’d move Cook for a 5th or 6th and keep Z Smith. 
-Then go DL and WR with our next highest picks

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, swede700 said:

"Sure" things like Andrew Luck and Trevor Lawrence (and neither one is or was as good as they were expected to be, although they're still very good) don't come along all that often...

And they go #1. A position that the Vikings just aren’t going to be in. 

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Exactly.  I was dumbfounded when Mahomes was taken as high as he was...and traded up for even.  I think we were all wrong...he was certainly one of those guys that was a lot of projection because the system he was coming from was so different from the pro-style.

You never really know what you're going to get.  "Sure" things like Andrew Luck and Trevor Lawrence (and neither one is or was as good as they were expected to be, although they're still very good) don't come along all that often...so if I'm going to bet, especially in the 1st round, I'm betting on upside.  A guy like Richardson may flame out, but if he's in the right situation, he could soar.  I'd think a situation like the Vikings have currently would be perfect for him, while a situation like the Colts (or definitely the Raiders) would not.   

Just not Richardson. I’ll stay put or trade back and take Hooker. 

problem is, he probably won’t make it our pick.

A question that's been rattlin' around in my feeble mind is Stetson Bennett vs Young and the size discussion.    Young's the athlete with a great arm & an incomparable QB IQ.   Surefire, all-around stud . . . Easily the fixer of a bad franchise.

Bennett's old, small and . . . Nothing.  So, he's a, what round pick?  Sure, Bennett won two national championships, but it was the rest of that squad . . . Bennett was just lucky to be on it.  

Of course Young carried a pathetic Alabama squad 🙄  

Which one will be the bigger surprise if both are successful in the NFL?    

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings basically can’t trade Cousins until June. 

And trading Hunter also carries problematic cap ramifications. 

Yes, but The Vikings could still make the arrangements for Cousins' trade on April 27th, informing him he will be traded, if Cousins agrees, and designate the trade to be consummated after The June date (June 6th?).  I wonder if they could also agree with the other trading partner to accept additional "future considerations" (which would become Danielle, after The June date)?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I haven’t looked into cap ramifications if Hunter is traded on draft night. Would you know?

If Hunter is traded it accelerates nearly $6M on to the salary cap. Other moves would need to be made in order for a trade to happen.