2023 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

so between these two who do you pick?

Branch. Easily. 

It’s no secret that I really like Branch, but just to break it down;

1.) I have a 1st round grade on Branch, while I have a top 50 grade on Banks. So, for me, he’s simply the better player.

2.) Branch is a day one contributor/starter, whereas I don’t think Banks is going to help immediately. Banks has the traits and the size to eventually be a top level corner, but he needs to work on a lot of his technique. And 3-4 years from now, I see them as similarly tiered players.

3.) Given where the roster is at, I think Branch gives you the most flexibility in the secondary with the current personnel. Branch can step in day one as your top nickel defender in the slot, allowing the team to play Byron Murphy outside (what they’re ultimately paying him for), and have the winner of a camp battle between Booth and Evans on the other outside spot. It also allows them to have Murphy kick inside with Branch while having Evans and Booth on the outside in dime packages. Something Flores likes to do a lot.

4.) Giving Flores a true Swiss Army knife in the secondary would be a lot of fun. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2023 at 5:29 PM, vike daddy said:

there are some who feel he won't be drafted at all.

Very true.   And, I don't understand that.   For instance, Kellen Moore had, or has, the most wins by a Div 1 QB in 4 years of starting.   Moore wasn't nearly as quick, fast or athletic as Bennett, yet, Bennett's lumped into frail and unathletic like we're lumped in with old people😂

Comparing Bennett to Young?  Bennett is .12 seconds slower in the 40, but his jumps and agility were plenty comparable.   I'd say arm strength edge goes to Young, but Bennet can throw.  They're both solid leaders employing slightly different styles.   They're vastly different in age so maybe that's all it is.

I don't really care if people think I'm crazy, but I do live where we have yet to see 50-degrees in 2023 . . . So there's that.  But, if the Vikes landed Bennett somewhere beyond the 5th round, I'd be ok with it.  

57 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Bennett has some very significant character concerns, so I’m not sure where the “leader” comment is coming from. Hard pass. Don’t want him on my team.

and the significant character concerns point to immaturity and a lack of being able to prioritize, at best. a la Manziel.

48 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

and the significant character concerns point to immaturity and a lack of being able to prioritize, at best. a la Manziel.

Very true and a solid point.   Nobody's expecting Bennett to be drafted high like Manziel was, so the fall from grace won't be as long of a downhill ride for Bennett.   On the flip, the guy has proven an ability to overcome the odds stacked against him.   

I'm not stomping my foot advocating the Vikes pick him.  But, the fact he and Young faced off in the SEC and were two of the better players in college football as roughly the same size . . . Well, one's destined for a chance at greatness his rookie year while the other may never get one.   The original question was . . . What would be a bigger surprise . . . Bennett winning games as a starting QB in the NFL . . . Or Young flaming out like Wilson, Manzeil or even playing down to Murray-level?

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I’m not sure this is true? He only got a starting gig due to injury.

Have any of us ever been given a chance and ran with it?  

No matter how he got his opportunity, he made the most of it.   I mean really, how did Tom Brady become Tom Brady?

He certainly didn't excell at Michigan . . . Until Brian Cox brought the lumber, he was irrelevant.

• Like 2