2023 Draft Talk

swede700

4 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I don’t see that at all. Alshon Jeffery ran a variety of routes in college. 

Well not really. He had a terrible Junior year. It really happened because he just ran go routes and post routes. That year it was constant bully ball for him with Steve Spurrier. 
He also had a lot of drops, drops lead to the pros. I believe there was a couple years where Alshon even led the league in drops in the NFL. He even had a crushing drop to end the Eagles season against the Saints when they were the defending champions. 

45 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Well not really. He had a terrible Junior year. It really happened because he just ran go routes and post routes. That year it was constant bully ball for him with Steve Spurrier. 
He also had a lot of drops, drops lead to the pros. I believe there was a couple years where Alshon even led the league in drops in the NFL. He even had a crushing drop to end the Eagles season against the Saints when they were the defending champions. 

Well according to PFF, Alshon Jeffery was targeted 106 times overall that year (playoffs included) and dropped only six passes, for a 7.3 drop percentage. I don’t think he ever lead the league in drops. I believe you’re confusing him for Troy Williamson. 

Edited by Purplepride323

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Before Last year there were plenty of Mocks that had him as a round 1 QB.

And now he could probably be had in the middle rounds.  I think in Madden awhile ago, I had the Vikings taking him late in the first then or early 2nd (I can't remember which)...he really didn't pan out.  

As far as other QBs, in a mock I just did this morning, I passed on Hooker in the 3rd and Tanner McKee in the 4th, because I felt that the Vikings had greater needs elsewhere.   

I have a feeling if the Vikings dont take a WR @ 23 that they wont address it until late or UDFA.  I just don't see a spot for someone later on as they wont unseat JJ or KJ.  It seems like they avoided WR in FA when there were plenty of options and they were cheaper than our backup TE.  I guess to myself it just doesn't make sense when we still need another ILB & DT & very limited draft capital.

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And now he could probably be had in the middle rounds.  I think in Madden awhile ago, I had the Vikings taking him late in the first then or early 2nd (I can't remember which)...he really didn't pan out.  

As far as other QBs, in a mock I just did this morning, I passed on Hooker in the 3rd and Tanner McKee in the 4th, because I felt that the Vikings had greater needs elsewhere.   

Smart man. Why waste a high pick on a QB when we have so many other needs. I think the main goal should be to build a great team, then draft a young QB to come into a great situation. What good is a young QB if the defense sucks? 

1 minute ago, Boda said:

I have a feeling if the Vikings dont take a WR @ 23 that they wont address it until late or UDFA.  I just don't see a spot for someone later on as they wont unseat JJ or KJ.  It seems like they avoided WR in FA when there were plenty of options and they were cheaper than our backup TE.  I guess to myself it just doesn't make sense when we still need another ILB & DT & very limited draft capital.

The middle tier of this WR class is stacked with guys like: AT Perry, Michael Wilson, Cedric Tillman, Trey Palmer and Marvin Mims. We can most definitely find a talented WR in the 3rd. I agree we do have limited draft capital, that’s why I predict that we will trade down from pick 23. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Well according to PFF, Alshon Jeffery was targeted 106 times overall that year (playoffs included) and dropped only six passes, for a 7.3 drop percentage. I don’t know in what world he lead the league in drops, but it wasn’t in this reality. 

I stand corrected. He just led his team on drops . 

18 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

If he’s there in the 3rd. Run to the podium.

Yeah I agree that he could be gone by the time that we pick in the third round. But if he’s gone I’d be fine with AT Perry, Marvin Mims or even Trey Palmer. Palmer’s 40 yard dash and 10 yard split times were ridiculous at the combine. I know Kwesi is an analytics guy and loves the 10 yard split times. Trey Palmer was also a teammate of Justin Jefferson in LSU. I could see a fit there. 

26 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Smart man. Why waste a high pick on a QB when we have so many other needs. I think the main goal should be to build a great team, then draft a young QB to come into a great situation. What good is a young QB if the defense sucks? 

The middle tier of this WR class is stacked with guys like: AT Perry, Michael Wilson, Cedric Tillman, Trey Palmer and Marvin Mims. We can most definitely find a talented WR in the 3rd. I agree we do have limited draft capital, that’s why I predict that we will trade down from pick 23. 

Never said we couldn't find one I simply said there are far bigger needs especially with the team supposed  to be running more 12 personnel  

I even like a bunch of the mid round prospects(Tank Dell, Trey Palmer, Tyler Scott) ( Mims will be gone in the 2nd maybe very early 3rd) but I don't know how you justify taking WR4 maybe WR5 above ILB 2/3 or DT2 especially when they aren't going to beat out JJ/KJ/Nailor or be at best the 5th receiving option.  Again it just doesn't make sense

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

In that mock draft I referenced, I actually didn't take a WR until Rd 4 and CB until the pick in Rd 6.  My picks went Edge, LB, WR, RB, CB. 

Are/were you projecting a Cook trade/release? You also must feel a lot more comfortable with the CB than me

Just now, Boda said:

Are/were you projecting a Cook trade/release? You also must feel a lot more comfortable with the CB than me

Yes, I think they will move on from Dalvin in a trade, which I obviously did not address here in this particular mock, however. 

I do still feel fine at CB, for the most part.  Obviously, they still need to add some, but I don't think they need to add just to add, they need to find the right players, and as each pick came up, the right CB didn't show up until the 6th rd...which turned out to be Terell Smith.  In reality, I imagine they'll do quite a bit of trading and likely get a CB sooner, but if not, I'm still okay when this class is so extraordinarily deep at this position...moreso than probably in over a decade. 

3 minutes ago, Boda said:

Never said we couldn't find one I simply said there are far bigger needs especially with the team supposed  to be running more 12 personnel  

I even like a bunch of the mid round prospects(Tank Dell, Trey Palmer, Tyler Scott) ( Mims will be gone in the 2nd maybe very early 3rd) but I don't know how you justify taking WR4 maybe WR5 above ILB 2/3 or DT2 especially when they aren't going to beat out JJ/KJ/Nailor or be at best the 5th receiving option.  Again it just doesn't make sense

Because we need more talent at WR. Even if we do run more 12 personnel, we need another WR to take the top off of defenses. Jalen Nailor has potential to make strides in year 2, or maybe Reagor figures it out in year 4. But I think someone like Palmer or AT Perry can step in and be WR3 right away.