2023 Draft Talk

swede700

14 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

So would I . it's also why I'm good with dealing Hunter, Zadarius, and Cook. Pile up as many picks next year as possible.

I would do that, Z. Smith already have his replacement in Davenport for next year and if not that and Davenport is more a DE in the 3/4 then have Wonnum or Patrick Jones...  And Cook, I think they could draft his replacement or a quality back in the 3rd or 4th round no question.  Not sure Mattison or Chandler are any type of long term answer.  But not sure they would get super high picks for either guy, they are not QBs so what 2nd rounder at best but most likely 3rd rounders or below for both, doubt they get any more than two picks for any player.  So it is not like they would get high 1st rounders or something.

Hunter I doubt they trade but who knows.  

• Like 1

People who think we are going to go into full-on tank mode and start trading everyone for 2024 draft picks after a 13 win season in 2022 aren't being realistic.

Cook might be moved for a pick next year because he needs to pass a physical before a trade will happen, but if Smith and Hunter are getting moved, it's going to be for pieces that can help the team win in 2023.  

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

People who think we are going to go into full-on tank mode and start trading everyone for 2024 draft picks after a 13 win season in 2022 aren't being realistic.

Cook might be moved for a pick next year because he needs to pass a physical before a trade will happen, but if Smith and Hunter are getting moved, it's going to be for pieces that can help the team win in 2023.  

I've said repeatedly I don't expect them to, but that I would. They can't punt after winning 13, that doesn't mean they shouldn't do some. With Hunter and Smith they were awful, truly awful, on defense last year. It's almost a certainty Zadarius isn't back, and they have two replacements for him on the roster.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I've said repeatedly I don't expect them to, but that I would. They can't punt after winning 13, that doesn't mean they shouldn't do some. With Hunter and Smith they were awful, truly awful, on defense last year. It's almost a certainty Zadarius isn't back, and they have two replacements for him on the roster.

You don’t think it’s worth seeing how they perform in a new defense that is designed to maximize their abilities? It’s not like those guys individually performed poorly.

You’re suggesting that they should purposefully downgrade a position of strength and gamble on the future on a defense that you just said was already truly awful. You want to make it worse?

Hunter is nearly untradeable, imo. No way they will get enough value back for him.

• Like 2

I fully expect some crazy trades come draft weekend.   So, what are your guesses?

Day 1 Trade:  ???

Day 2 Trade(s):  ???

Day 3 Trade(s):  ???

Mine include: 

Day 1:  Vikings trade Danielle Hunter to Houston for #33 overall in 2023 and Houston's 2nd in 2024.

I also expect the Vike's to move from #23 down a few slots . . . Maybe Cincy at #28 giving up #131 overall or NO at 29 giving up #115 in addition to #29?

Day 2:  The Vikes trade Z. Smith and Dalvin Cook netting a 2023 3rd, a 2023 4th, and two 2024 5ths.

With the extra 3rd and 4th, the Vikes have flexibility to move around in round 3, maybe late Rd 2.

Day 3:  I can't predict a thing for Day 3!

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 8:17 AM, swede700 said:

No, it wasn't.  It was Dennis Green's inability to scout and evaluate defensive players. 

Maybe draft wise but McCombs failed to put the necessary resources into the team, hell the team had the fewest coordinators of all time I believe & if memory serves me correctly they cut positions and some had to pull double duty.  McCombs failed to spend money in FA I remember that being a big talking point way back in the day

On 3/31/2023 at 4:24 PM, Ozzy said:

And give up what to do so?  Already lost the 2nd rounder, what give up a 1st rounder to trade up?  Not sure I would do that at all.  If they want to move on from Kirk play him this year then cut the cord next year.  

It is a crazy deep QB group in 2024, one of the deepest in years, includes four-six guys who should have declared this year in 2023.  Sucks guys like Rattler, Penix, Travis, Nix, Leary, Rising, Hartman etc did not declare this year, could have been good value picks in the middle rounds or 2nd-3rd round range.  

Caleb Williams USC JR
Drake Maye UNC RS SOPH
Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS 
JJ McCarthy Michigan JR
Bo Nix Oregon RS 
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS 
Jordan Travis Florida State RS 
Sam Hartman Notre Dame RS
Jayden Daniels LSU RS
KJ Jefferson Arkansas RS
Devin Leary Kentucky RS
Cameron Rising Utah RS 
DJ Uiagalelei Oregon State
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland RS
Will Rogers Miss State
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS
Joe Milton III Tennessee RS
Tyler Shough Texas Tech RS
Kedon Slovis BYU RS
Phil Jurkovec Pitt RS
John Rhys Plumlee UCF RS
Spencer Sanders Ole Miss RS
Casey Thompson Nebraska RS
Brennan Armstrong NC State RS
Jeff Sims Nebraska
Hank Bachmeier La Tech RS
Jalon Daniels Kansas
Max Johnson Texas A&M
JT Daniels Rice RS
Gerry Bohanon USF RS
Dillon Gabriel Oklahoma RS
Payton Thorne Michigan State RS
Emory Jones Cincinnati RS
Jack Plummer Louisville RS
Graham Mertz Florida RS
Drew Pyne Arizona State
Cade McNamara Iowa RS
Ryan Hilinski Northwestern RS
TJ Finley Auburn
Jason Bean Kansas RS
Jack Tuttle Michigan RS
J'Bore Gibbs Idaho RS
Zach Annexstad Illinois State

For the Vikings to trade up in this draft for Levis seems stupid when there is such a deep QB class next year.  The current 2023 class is not very deep at all compared to next year where one could get far better value if you get the right guy.  

No love for Quinn Ewers? Or are you projecting him to stay in college?

43 minutes ago, Boda said:

No love for Quinn Ewers? Or are you projecting him to stay in college?

Honestly not sure he was that amazing at Texas last year.  Compared to Drake Maye, Ewers sucked honestly, and Worthy is a great WR on Texas and Whittington, Sanders and Bijan at RB, way better offensive weapons but not near the success Maye had.

Most likely the guy transfers because Manning starts next year potentially, but who knows maybe Ewers declares but not sure he will have much success next year because who knows if he even plays.  

1 hour ago, Boda said:

Maybe draft wise but McCombs failed to put the necessary resources into the team, hell the team had the fewest coordinators of all time I believe & if memory serves me correctly they cut positions and some had to pull double duty.  McCombs failed to spend money in FA I remember that being a big talking point way back in the day

You are correct . . . McCombs was a tightwad and Denny had him convinced cash was king --- offensively.  And, when 3-Deep hit stride, the team was amazing at lining McCombs' coffers.    But long before that, the Vikes were selling out home games at a record clip.

I know Green loved his offense, but he gutted the team of defense . . . Defensive coordinators ran through a tilurnstile under him . . . And a lot of under qualified guys got a shot at something they weren't able to do.  Then, there's the bleeding of talent . . . Green excelled at drafting crappy defensive guys.     

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Honestly not sure he was that amazing at Texas last year.  Compared to Drake Maye, Ewers sucked honestly, and Worthy is a great WR on Texas and Whittington, Sanders and Bijan at RB, way better offensive weapons but not near the success Maye had.

Most likely the guy transfers because Manning starts next year potentially, but who knows maybe Ewers declares but not sure he will have much success next year because who knows if he even plays.  

I think he transfers as well thats why I asked if you thought he stays in college instead of just staying at Texas.  With that said I thought he was playing pretty good up until his injury, not that it was a huge sample size

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

*cough* Underwood *cough*

So many guys could replace Underwood here lol

He or whoever was in his ear truly was an awful evaluator of Defensive talent

17 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I don't see it as tanking trading away Cook/Hunter/Z. Smith. We have depth at edge and RBs are a dime a dozen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't see it as tanking trading away Cook/Hunter/Z. Smith. We have depth at edge and RBs are a dime a dozen.

I agree, they would never have brought in Davenport or Murphy if they were 'tanking'.  Or resigned Bradbury for that matter or signed Oliver the blocking TE to a big contract.

Getting rid of bad contracts in Cook and getting rid of Z. Smith if he does not want to be here just makes sense.  Cook is good but the RB class is great and he could be replaced by a dude in the 3rd round and they would be a quality back and one could take their pick of which one to select.  

• Like 1