Chargers ink LB Kyle Van Noy

TheKillerNacho

23 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

He was good for us in 2020, good add imo.

Based on what you told me, he might be a flex guy to help out with edge rushing but also fill in at ILB given our starters in Murray and Tranquil are injury prone.

26 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Based on what you told me, he might be a flex guy to help out with edge rushing but also fill in at ILB given our starters in Murray and Tranquil are injury prone.

You don’t want KVN edge rushing. He’s a good blitzer and has some instincts in coverage (if a little athletically limited to keep up with the speedier guys). 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You don’t want KVN edge rushing. He’s a good blitzer and has some instincts in coverage (if a little athletically limited to keep up with the speedier guys). 

Edge in case of emergencies only then. We probably need to get someone like Morgan Fox for actual edge depth.

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Was there a reason you guys used him so much at edge last year?

https://boltbeat.com/posts/chargers-news-kyle-van-noy-defense

Van Noy is already trending to be a primary EDGE player as well. According to Pro Football Focus, Van Noy played more snaps at EDGE last season (435) than he did in the box (336). Brandon Staley's defensive scheme lives on emptying the box and getting defensive backs on the field, so there will be fewer snaps for Van Noy to play there

47 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Was there a reason you guys used him so much at edge last year?

https://boltbeat.com/posts/chargers-news-kyle-van-noy-defense

Played a lot more zone last year, less straight up 4-3 looks than when he was here in 2019 as well. Less disguised interior blitzes between him and Hightower, which was really a huge thing for the team in 2019. He’s not someone I’d really want as my edge, but if he’s just spelling Mack/Bosa, you could do worse. 

• Like 1

I really like this signing.

Staley's system does not value LB very much but I still think it was a need considering how thin we were at the position. He can also serve as a solid DE #3 option and quality depth in case Mack or Bosa miss time.

• Like 1

I expect him to be just another guy. We have some LBers, and already don't play them. We have a lot of DBs, and I'm betting we'll be on a lot of 1 true LBer sets.

He'll probably have a better chance to show up at edge, but not sure I consider him a decent replacement for Bosa/Mack.