Around the NFL: (2022 Edition)

"I think a lot of the message there is, we just have to take the best players at all times," he said. "We don't have to worry so much about fit or what we have on the team. You go back to that moment, we had two tight ends who were really good in the middle of the field, Greg Ward was coming off of a really good year in the slot. Were looking for a specific role as opposed to just grading the players. That's on me, one hundred percent. At the end of the day, I'm responsible for all of that. But I also promise you one thing , if I make a mistake I'm going to do everything in my power to make it up."

Howie finally admits he made a mistake with drafting Eagles FFs darling WR Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson. I'm not sure that saying Greg Ward is the reason we didn't take Jefferson is anymore comforting than thinking they were just after the potential speed of Reagor. 

As always - screw Jalen Reagor.

6 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Howie finally admits he made a mistake with drafting Eagles FFs darling WR Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson. I'm not sure that saying Greg Ward is the reason we didn't take Jefferson is anymore comforting than thinking they were just after the potential speed of Reagor. 

I think most of us were just as guilty. As far as pre draft, Reagor was your outside burner and Jefferson was your slot guy. We needed that deep threat. Obviously, it was totally wrong. But more than just Howie was fooled. Cool for him to recognize it and learn, seemingly anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I think most of us were just as guilty. As far as pre draft, Reagor was your outside burner and Jefferson was your slot guy. We needed that deep threat. Obviously, it was totally wrong. But more than just Howie was fooled. Cool for him to recognize it and learn, seemingly anyway. 

Yep, guilty. 
We were hurting so much for speed and playmaking ability. Jefferson coming out had no real special ability that had you thinking he’d for sure do well. He had volume but teams were dealing with Chase a lot on the outside.

it’s a good lesson in two things

• #1, like he said don’t get cute with the pick. Take the best overall player. Needs shift.

• #2, and the one we can’t really know, you gotta scout the above the neck too. Athletically Reagor and Jefferson aren’t THAT far apart, one of the knocks on JJ was he wasn’t that big or fast. But there a giant chasm between Jefferson’s mentality and Reagor’s. Jefferson came in wanting to be great and has shown he’s willing to do the work. Something went wrong along the way with Reagor. Maybe things would be different if he had a upper mid level QB like Cousins too, maybe if the Jefferson noise wasn’t there, maybe if it was in a more chill city. But all we know is he mentally couldn’t get himself there, and could never push himself to get to a better level.

It seems in the last two drafts Howie learned from both. Along with the lessons of previous drafts of not sitting still and missing their guy. Of Howie thinking he can outsmart people by never taking talent from top schools.

• Like 1

I mean we clearly needed speed and I'm pretty sure Greg Cosell called us the slowest team he's ever studied coming into the Reagor draft. I fell in love with his explosion and big play ability, as well as his ability to play physical and above the rim for high passes. I was just going off of what LITERALLY every draft evaluator had to say about the two players. I mean what better notes are there to go by besides the guys who evaluate for a living? Reagor was an outside explosive guy who could run the Z or possibly X, and Jefferson was a slot only guy throughout his career and ran like 9 plays outside. It was a no brainer for me.

1 hour ago, Scalamania said:

Think he admitted that drafting him was a mistake when he traded him for peanuts compared to a first round pick after only being on the roster for two years...

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Reagor had potential, it's misleading to suggest otherwise. But he's mentally soft and apparently doesn't respond well to coaching if I had to guess.

This.

Caplan also mentioned there were concerns with the immaturity of the rookie trio of Reagor, Watkins and Hightower. I said it before last season that I wasn’t loving Reagor on social media and being so sensitive and that it seemed like Watkins was working hard to get better as a route runner working with DeVonta in a lot of summer workouts. Quez matured and took on the responsibility of being a professional faster than the others.

3 hours ago, Scalamania said:

I'm not sure that saying Greg Ward is the reason we didn't take Jefferson is anymore comforting than thinking they were just after the potential speed of Reagor. 

The reason was mainly Zach Ertz who we should’ve been traded earlier.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

3 hours ago, Danger said:

Reagor had potential, it's misleading to suggest otherwise. But he's mentally soft and apparently doesn't respond well to coaching if I had to guess.

They all have potential - that's why they're drafted. It seemed like everyone in the media, on this message board and in our front office just ignored all the negatives around Reagor (that were very prevelant, the drops, lack of effort and muffed punts aren't something new) and were more focused on blaming his quarterback as opposed to looking at how much he sucks. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

The reason was mainly Zach Ertz who we should’ve been traded earlier.

I mean - Greg Ward was specifically name dropped as was the position everyone expected Jefferson to play in the direct quote from Howie. I would say Ward was a bigger part of the reason than we thought.

33 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

They all have potential - that's why they're drafted. It seemed like everyone in the media, on this message board and in our front office just ignored all the negatives around Reagor (that were very prevelant, the drops, lack of effort and muffed punts aren't something new) and were more focused on blaming his quarterback as opposed to looking at how much he sucks. 

Any prospect that doesn't have some flaws is going in the top 10. 

Reagor coming out was a guy with great physical traits and if they were able to translate then he could've been something special. The drops were definitely something that was ignored. Lack of effort... like how do you quantify that? I think it's good that Sirianni and co are very much stressing mental toughness, tenacity, and competitiveness in the drafting process now. Something Doug Pederson and his ilk clearly weren't considering.

21 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I mean - Greg Ward was specifically name dropped as was the position everyone expected Jefferson to play in the direct quote from Howie. I would say Ward was a bigger part of the reason than we thought.

Yes, I can see that he said that, but I don’t think Greg Ward factored in that much. I think Howie was just trying to list multiple guys to make it seem like a more substantial excuse. Goedert operated way more in-line than Ertz. It wasn’t really Goedert so much as Ertz that was the driving force behind not drafting Jefferson. Maybe they thought JJAW could be a big slot too. I think the biggest need at that time was for an explosive playmaker who could get YAC in the short to intermediate and also the deep passing game. We really need to move on from Reagor at this point. I think all of us have learned lessons from that pick whether you wanted him or not. I’m glad that Howie has learned from his mistakes and has adjusted his thinking over the years with free agency previously and the draft more recently.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Any prospect that doesn't have some flaws is going in the top 10. 

Reagor coming out was a guy with great physical traits and if they were able to translate then he could've been something special. The drops were definitely something that was ignored. Lack of effort... like how do you quantify that? I think it's good that Sirianni and co are very much stressing mental toughness, tenacity, and competitiveness in the drafting process now. Something Doug Pederson and his ilk clearly weren't considering.

There definitely were reps on Reagors tape (more so as a Junior) that showed bad effort. I saw some of them, but kinda brushed them to the side cause he was playing with arguably the worst QB in college football that year or at least one of the worst.