The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Josh Allen is one of the best things to happen to football but also one of the worst things to happen to the draft community. 

He does seem to be the new bar, doesn't he? 

For years it was QBs under 6ft and remotely mobile and how they might be Drew Brees or Russell Wilson. 

Now It's damn near every big athletic talent with raw tools is the next Josh Allen. 

Thank goodness Tyree Jackson and Brock Osweilers don't come around often, everyone would be seeking out the imaginary 7 foot QB that runs a 4.6 and can fling it 90 yards while laying down lol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Sure he had bad games, but let’s not act like he didn’t have good games. This game showed how good Arich can be. Don’t forget, ARich is only a sophomore. He could have easily came back for his JR year and had a monster year. ARich could have been the 1st pick in 2024 with those tools and another year of seasoning. Buying Arich would be investing in a stock before it explodes. 

It could be, it could also be investing in a stock that goes broke, we simply don’t know yet. I can see the attraction, I just think it’s too big a risk for me.

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Stidham couldn't beat out the corpse of Cam Newton to be the Patriots starter, they drafted Mac over him, and he couldn't beat out Hoyer for the 2nd string spot during his last year in New England. They were fine trading him away for a 7th round pick and JMD didn't even believe in him enough to roll with him as QB2 with the Pats. Remember when Mariota stepped in for Carr and lit the Chargers up? The Falcons sure did, they remembered it well enough that they decided Mariota was going to be their starter this season, how'd that turn out again? 

If Stidham was starting caliber I'm assuming JMD, the coach that has been with him his entire career, would know it and have confidence in him. 

Baker is the former #1 overall pick and has actually led a team to the playoffs as a starter. Look at his 2020 numbers: 3,500 yards, 26 TD/8 INT for an 11-5 playoff team that actually won their wildcard game and came extremely close to upsetting the Chiefs in Arrowhead. Stidham has more career interceptions than TDs at this point, I think it's safe to say that Baker is the better player.

Stidham was a rookie and then in year 2 he was on IR almost the entire year.  They brought him back in November.  This is a quote about him and states he jumped Hoyer as the backup in 2020 as a rookie.

"The New England Patriots have put quarterback Jarrett Stidham on 53-man roster after starting the season on injured reserve with a back injury. He underwent a procedure during training camp.

It’s possible Stidham will immediately ascend to QB2 behind Mac Jones and ahead of Brian Hoyer. Last season, Stidham jumped past Hoyer as the backup when 2020 starter Cam Newton missed time due to COVID-19."

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Stidham was a rookie and then in year 2 he was on IR almost the entire year.  They brought him back in November.  This is a quote about him and states he jumped Hoyer as the backup in 2020 as a rookie.

"The New England Patriots have put quarterback Jarrett Stidham on 53-man roster after starting the season on injured reserve with a back injury. He underwent a procedure during training camp.

It’s possible Stidham will immediately ascend to QB2 behind Mac Jones and ahead of Brian Hoyer. Last season, Stidham jumped past Hoyer as the backup when 2020 starter Cam Newton missed time due to COVID-19."

I'm sure he is better than the former #1 pick and former playoff winner, we just haven't seen it yet.

3 minutes ago, Geezy said:

id rather gamble on Stidhams upside than get what i know im going to get from Baker. 

Baker has at least proven to be a starting caliber player, JMD and the new regime have had Stidham for years and never really gave him an opportunity. 

Sign Baker, resign Stidham, draft Hooker in the middle rounds and let them compete for the starting job.

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Baker has at least proven to be a starting caliber player, JMD and the new regime have had Stidham for years and never really gave him an opportunity. 

Sign Baker, resign Stidham, draft Hooker in the middle rounds and let them compete for the starting job.

I wouldnt mind the last line. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

If it isn't Rodgers (who only has a $15M cap hit) I think we should just go cheap at QB. I'll die inside if we pay Jimmy G close to what we were going to pay Carr.

Jimmy G would be the biggest L, i could live with almost any scenario that doesnt tie us down to a mediocre QB for starter money. 

Just now, Geezy said:

Jimmy G would be the biggest L, i could live with almost any scenario that doesnt tie us down to a mediocre QB for starter money. 

It would literally be the same position we were just in but worse because Jimmy isn't as good and he's super injury prone.

• Like 1