The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think the one positive with Mayfield is if a rookie can’t beat him out you can probably accept he’s a bust and we’d likely be had enough to draft Maye or a Williams in the top 5 next year. 

FIFY

12 hours ago, Geezy said:

Opening up to Levis at 7. We get the benefit of having a QB on a rookie contract, have tons of cap space to add veterans that fill holes and get to keep draft capital to add in house talent. Levis is a little boom or bust, but if McDaniels is who he is supposed to be Levis is the type of prospect he should be able to mold. This is me going all in on the new regime and trying to build something sustainable. Rodgers will take picks and cap and is too old/wishy washy, Stroud and Young will take too much to move up for, Jimmy G is only a stop gap. 
resign Stiddy, give him the opportunity to beat out Levis year one and earn a starting role somewhere else. Depending how Stiddy does Levis sits 6-8 weeks or even the season to learn a complex offense. 
Im hoping Mark is smart enough where at least something like this is an option. Tired of the bandaids.

would love one of the top edges at 7, but let’s be real this is a QB driven league. The benefit of staying at 7 is we get to keep our 2nd, where there should be DL still available this year.

I'm also becoming more intrigued with him at #7. I like Young and Stroud but I don't think they're worth all of the additional draft capital we'd have to give up to be in position to take them. He has the tools and I trust him a lot more than Richardson. Dude has crazy arm strength, good mobility, he's tough and he's apparently he has all of the intangibles as well. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Baker is way better than Stidham lol

Well, we simply don't know. Mayfield has had a run of games over a few seasons and we can judge him reasonably, but Stidham is still relatively unknown after only 2 competitive games so no way anyone can say that with certainty.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Isaiah Foskey in Round 2? Best defensive player on a really good ND defense last year, could be a sooner-rather-than-later replacement for Chandler Jones.

If we are looking at edge rushers in round 2 I would look for better value out of LVN, D. Hall or N. Smith if they are on the board.  I think Edge is a need on this D as Jones looks washed and is ancient.  What a piss poor signing and value by our front office.  It's ******* sad at this point regarding our FA signings over the last 20+ years...

I see some good 2nd round value, based off of mock drafts at Edge, CB and RT.  I would wait on interior Oline and Safety for rounds 3 and below. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

If we are looking at edge rushers in round 2 I would look for better value out of LVN, D. Hall or N. Smith if they are on the board.  I think Edge is a need on this D as Jones looks washed and is ancient.  What a piss poor signing and value by our front office.  It's ******* sad at this point regarding our FA signings over the last 20+ years...

I see some good 2nd round value, based off of mock drafts at Edge, CB and RT.  I would wait on interior Oline and Safety for rounds 3 and below. 

I agree with this 

I’d be on board with Levis #7, resign Stidham for 5-7.5 mil plus incentives, resign Eluemenor at RT, move Parham to C and cut James.. sign one proven OG in FA and draft another in round 3-4… Keep developing Munford as swing tackle/injury fill-in and add other system-fit OT in the mid to late rounds to develop. We’ll have plenty of draft picks to add talent to the D as well so Round 2 best available DE/DT/LB/CB/S  and continue to attack those areas throughout the draft. Also gives us the flexibility to sign Jacobs and other key free agents by not allocating 30-40+ mil to QB position. 

• Like 1

I really don’t like this QB class- 

Bryce Young reminds me of Baker Mayfield. Remember Baker was a college great and can’t miss. Young is small like Baker and might cause him to struggle at the next level. I’m not trading the farm for a guy who has a big flaw in size. You need to be able to stay in the pocket, and see over the OL. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson had success because they are world class athletes who can really move. Kyler is actually under achieving, and seems to always get hurt. Wilson is not aging gracefully now that he doesn’t run around as much being older. Young already getting hurt in college. Iffy to me. Young also played with so much talent 

CJ Stroud- dude has played with all Americans. He reminds me of DC. He needs a clean pocket to shine. What is this man’s ceiling? Feels like he needs a good team around him and a clean pocket. He was hit or miss on Ohio State who had like 4 first round WRs  and all American OL. Idk if I’m trading the farm for a QB who is just going be good but not all pro ceiling 

A Richardson- he’s raw as a passer. Didn’t even complete 55 percent of passes. He is  more raw than Levis but he is also 3 years younger. Both weren’t good in college, but both are big, A Level arm,  and freak athletes. He’s boom or bust. Feels like he would struggle as a rookie if thrown into the wolves

W Levis- he’s starting to grow on me. But he wasn’t good his last year. This is why everyone one is saying he is a project. But he is going be 25! people have excuses that his team sucked and the OL was really bad. He has the arm, size, mobility, leadership but he seems to have trouble processing what is going on. That’s going be enhanced in the NFL. Will he shine with more talent, or does he just suck with processing the game. Big question mark. 

all are iffy 

Edited by Humble_Beast

13 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I really don’t like this QB class- 

Bryce Young reminds me of Baker Mayfield. Remember Baker was a college great and can’t miss. Young is small like Baker and might cause him to struggle at the next level. I’m not trading the farm for a guy who has a big flaw in size. You need to be able to stay in the pocket, and see over the OL. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson had success because they are world class athletes who can really move. Kyler is actually under achieving, and seems to always get hurt. Wilson is not aging gracefully now that he doesn’t run around as much being older. Young already getting hurt in college. Iffy to me. Young also played with so much talent 

CJ Stroud- dude has played with all Americans. He reminds me of DC. He needs a clean pocket to shine. What is this man’s ceiling? Feels like he needs a good team around him and a clean pocket. He was hit or miss on Ohio State who had like 4 first round WRs  and all American OL. Idk if I’m trading the farm for a QB who is just going be good but not all pro ceiling 

A Richardson- he’s raw as a passer. Didn’t even complete 55 percent of passes. He is  more raw than Levis but he is also 3 years younger. Both weren’t good in college, but both are big, A Level arm,  and freak athletes. He’s boom or bust. Feels like he would struggle as a rookie if thrown into the wolves

W Levis- he’s starting to grow on me. But he wasn’t good his last year. This is why everyone one is saying he is a project. But he is going be 25! people have excuses that his team sucked and the OL was really bad. He has the arm, size, mobility, leadership but he seems to have trouble processing what is going on. That’s going be enhanced in the NFL. Will he shine with more talent, or does he just suck with processing the game. Big question mark. 

all are iffy 

Baker was not in the least bit looked at as cant miss and Young is an infinitely better prospect even with the size concerns. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Baker was not in the least bit looked at as cant miss and Young is an infinitely better prospect even with the size concerns. 

You’re talking in hindsight. Young has big flaws: size& durability. I’m not trading the farm for a risky prospect. Set the franchise back about 5 years. Give me a vet and Jake Haener in the 3rd/4th if you want a small QB.