The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

Even better. Going to have to wait and see where the FA QBs land. 

Pretty much. 

Carolina is right behind us right now. Hoping Carr lands there as it likely takes them out of the top 10 QB sweepstakes for this year. After that, there's a glut of teams in the pecking order that aren't obvious QB pick candidates. Falcons are a slight concern, but who knows. They could opt to roll with Ridder and draft around him. 

Everything goes right, we could trade back and still grab him. 

Houston probably goes QB at 2, so 12 should be on the table for them to want to move up for a top prospect on D. 

I'd ask for 12 and 33 or 12, 65, and 104. 

Getting away with Levis at 12 and having either 33, 38, 70, and 109 or 39, 65, 70, 104, and 109 wouldn't be a bad deal, imo. Lot of good prospects around in the top 120 or so, having 4 or 5 other picks in that range is a nice place to be. 

21 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I personally like Young and Stroud, I’d be hesitant to leverage a ton of draft capital to move up to take either one. If either falls to us at #7 I’d be comfortable with them there.

I’m finding myself in the Young and Levis camp, something about Stroud just doesn’t resonate with me. I can’t put my finger on it as he is accurate and looks the part but maybe I’m nervous about the team he’s surrounded with and him trying to recreate that in adversity. Then again, I wanted to draft JaMarcus so what do I know 😂😂

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

........ Just like Kyler MurrayI guess

Love Young’s skill set, hate his size. He’s not Kyler short but he’s too frail for me. Don’t get me wrong if he becomes a Raider my sons getting his jersey lol 

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

Opening up to Levis at 7. We get the benefit of having a QB on a rookie contract, have tons of cap space to add veterans that fill holes and get to keep draft capital to add in house talent. Levis is a little boom or bust, but if McDaniels is who he is supposed to be Levis is the type of prospect he should be able to mold. This is me going all in on the new regime and trying to build something sustainable. Rodgers will take picks and cap and is too old/wishy washy, Stroud and Young will take too much to move up for, Jimmy G is only a stop gap. 
resign Stiddy, give him the opportunity to beat out Levis year one and earn a starting role somewhere else. Depending how Stiddy does Levis sits 6-8 weeks or even the season to learn a complex offense. 
Im hoping Mark is smart enough where at least something like this is an option. Tired of the bandaids.

would love one of the top edges at 7, but let’s be real this is a QB driven league. The benefit of staying at 7 is we get to keep our 2nd, where there should be DL still available this year.

I’m coming round to this way of thinking. I’m a defence guy usually so I’d love to draft all defence but I can totally get behind re signing Stidham, giving him an opportunity and drafting Levis who we may not have to trade up for and letting him acclimate in his own time.

That way, we don’t get robbed trading up (as we inevitably would knowing us), we don’t force a raw guy in too early in a complex system, we give Stidham a deserved chance and he’s able to help with the transition and we’re still able to use some decent draft capital on defence.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I’m coming round to this way of thinking. I’m a defence guy usually so I’d love to draft all defence but I can totally get behind re signing Stidham, giving him an opportunity and drafting Levis who we may not have to trade up for and letting him acclimate in his own time.

That way, we don’t get robbed trading up (as we inevitably would knowing us), we don’t force a raw guy in too early in a complex system, we give Stidham a deserved chance and he’s able to help with the transition and we’re still able to use some decent draft capital on defence.

Stidham didn’t show me anything to have faith in him as the full time starter unless the goal is to actively rank games next year. 

I’d prefer someone like Baker Mayfield on a prove it deal. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Stidham didn’t show me anything to have faith in him as the full time starter unless the goal is to actively rank games next year. 

Really, thought he looked comfortable in the pre season with a full command of the scheme if a little uninspired but against San Francisco he looked good to me, gutsy and no little skill. Even against KC I thought he still looked decent, they shackled him but he didn’t have any real wtf moments I don’t think. If anything, he looked like he was trying too hard to me but certainly I thought he showed enough to garner at least a chance.

Wouldnt mind Mayfield honestly, he’s a better QB than Garoppolo in my estimation. 

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Really, thought he looked comfortable in the pre season with a full command of the scheme if a little uninspired but against San Francisco he looked good to me, gutsy and no little skill. Even against KC I thought he still looked decent, they shackled him but he didn’t have any real wtf moments I don’t think. If anything, he looked like he was trying too hard to me but certainly I thought he showed enough to garner at least a chance.

Wouldnt mind Mayfield honestly, he’s a better QB than Garoppolo in my estimation. 

The main reason I’d be pretty meh on Stidham is because he’d likely be the worst starting QB in the AFC going into the season. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Hasnt Baker proven enough? He is who he is. Stidham showed more in the 9er game than Baker did all last year. Bakers highlight was against our sorry *** defense. Give Stid more reps and see whats hes got. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

needs to cut down on the 50/50 balls, and learn to live for the next down. He tried to make too much happen on each play. Which is understandable since he hasnt been given too much opportunity. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The main reason I’d be pretty meh on Stidham is because he’d likely be the worst starting QB in the AFC going into the season. 

So would Baker. Id roll with Stidham and handcuff him to a rookie. Worst case he is someone the rookie can lean on in the offense. 

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

So would Baker. Id roll with Stidham and handcuff him to a rookie. Worst case he is someone the rookie can lean on in the offense. 

I am starting to think Stidham in 2023.  To many other areas that need attention and we are not a contender even if we get a top QB in my mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I am starting to think Stidham in 2023.  To many other areas that need attention and we are not a contender even if we get a top QB in my mind.

wouldnt mind it at all, load up the rest of the team keep assets then go all in next year. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I think the one positive with Stidham is if a rookie can’t beat him out you can probably accept he’s a bust and we’d likely be had enough to draft Maye or a Williams in the top 5 next year.