The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

I'd rather target Cedric Tilman out of Tennessee tbh.

Tillman would be a great one. 

My only concern is his stock seems to have dropped a little bit since the season ended for Tennessee... .

I think come draft time, he will have worked his way back up and out of our reach. Saw him going as early as the 40s at one point. 

I've eyeballed Scott, Hutchinson, Nacua, Hasselwood, or Jefferson (U of Louisiana) a good bit though. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 11:57 AM, Humble_Beast said:

I really don’t like this QB class- 

Bryce Young reminds me of Baker Mayfield. Remember Baker was a college great and can’t miss. Young is small like Baker and might cause him to struggle at the next level. I’m not trading the farm for a guy who has a big flaw in size. You need to be able to stay in the pocket, and see over the OL. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson had success because they are world class athletes who can really move. Kyler is actually under achieving, and seems to always get hurt. Wilson is not aging gracefully now that he doesn’t run around as much being older. Young already getting hurt in college. Iffy to me. Young also played with so much talent 

CJ Stroud- dude has played with all Americans. He reminds me of DC. He needs a clean pocket to shine. What is this man’s ceiling? Feels like he needs a good team around him and a clean pocket. He was hit or miss on Ohio State who had like 4 first round WRs  and all American OL. Idk if I’m trading the farm for a QB who is just going be good but not all pro ceiling 

A Richardson- he’s raw as a passer. Didn’t even complete 55 percent of passes. He is  more raw than Levis but he is also 3 years younger. Both weren’t good in college, but both are big, A Level arm,  and freak athletes. He’s boom or bust. Feels like he would struggle as a rookie if thrown into the wolves

W Levis- he’s starting to grow on me. But he wasn’t good his last year. This is why everyone one is saying he is a project. But he is going be 25! people have excuses that his team sucked and the OL was really bad. He has the arm, size, mobility, leadership but he seems to have trouble processing what is going on. That’s going be enhanced in the NFL. Will he shine with more talent, or does he just suck with processing the game. Big question mark. 

all are iffy 

Young is the best prospect, if he was bigger he'd be a generational prospect. He played with talent at Alabama but their OL hasn't been great and their skill guys haven't been nearly as deep or as talented over the last two seasons. The Eagles new coach said it best, when you're looking for a franchise guy the three most important things are accuracy, decision making, and the ability to create plays. I think Young fits all of those to a tee and should be a good pro for the next decade plus. 

Stroud I like but I think he's a pretty high floor / lowish ceiling type of prospect. I think his upside is probably something like DC (pre injury) / Dak, which is really good, but I don't think he has the tools to be elite. 

Richardson is extremely raw as a passer but has all of the tools and his flashes are super elite. 

Levis has the tools but sometimes you watch him and it's Zach Wilson / Carson Wentz 2.0 type of stuff going on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Young is the best prospect, if he was bigger he'd be a generational prospect. He played with talent at Alabama but their OL hasn't been great and their skill guys haven't been nearly as deep or as talented over the last two seasons. The Eagles new coach said it best, when you're looking for a franchise guy the three most important things are accuracy, decision making, and the ability to create plays. I think Young fits all of those to a tee and should be a good pro for the next decade plus. 

Stroud I like but I think he's a pretty high floor / lowish ceiling type of prospect. I think his upside is probably something like DC (pre injury) / Dak, which is really good, but I don't think he has the tools to be elite. 

Richardson is extremely raw as a passer but has all of the tools and his flashes are super elite. 

Levis has the tools but sometimes you watch him and it's Zach Wilson / Carson Wentz 2.0 type of stuff going on. 

Every class has a "generational" prospect. Term is thrown around way too much. 

Agree with the rest, though I'm a bit lower on Stroud, higher on Levis. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Every class has a "generational" prospect. Term is thrown around way too much. 

Agree with the rest, though I'm a bit lower on Stroud, higher on Levis. 

Young is one of the few guys that came in as the #1 recruit, had a storied career, won the Heisman, and played well enough to be a top 2-3 pick. I agree that generational prospect is thrown out too much, only Lawrence/Luck were that level of prospect, IMO. But Young is going to be the first QB taken despite major concerns about his size, if he were bigger I think he'd be on the same tier as Lawrence / Luck as a prospect. 

Levis is someone that I go back and forth on, he has flashes where I'm like damn this dude might be Josh Allen but then he has a ton of moments where he just has zero pocket awareness. The tools are definitely intriguing though, I won't be surprised if he's taken ahead of Stroud.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I agree with the bolded but there is a range where size becomes an issue.  If Lamar Jackson was 5'6" and 160 pounds would you draft him to play QB?  When an o-lineman can not reach a certain time on a 40 it does not matter how well he played in college.  Teams avoid them.  Orlando Brown was a monster in college but his speed limitation caused him to fall to the 3rd.  Most do not even get drafted.  There are cut points for every position and Young is close to it for a QB's size.  The bust rate can increase to the point that everything they did in college is meaningless.  Now Young is not that extreme to drop to the 3rd but it is enough where I would not want to draft him unless he fell to the #7 pick.  Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree with the bolded but there is a range where size becomes an issue.  If Lamar Jackson was 5'6" and 160 pounds would you draft him to play QB?  When an o-lineman can not reach a certain time on a 40 it does not matter how well he played in college.  Teams avoid them.  Orlando Brown was a monster in college but his speed limitation caused him to fall to the 3rd.  Most do not even get drafted.  There are cut points for every position and Young is close to it for a QB's size.  The bust rate can increase to the point that everything they did in college is meaningless.  Now Young is not that extreme to drop to the 3rd but it is enough where I would not want to draft him unless he fell to the #7 pick.  Just my opinion.

Guys like Brown, Murray, Devonta Smith are the exceptions because they were elite college players despite not having desirable measurable's. He was relatively healthy at Alabama and didn't have any issues with his vision playing behind a massive OL there so I don't think it will really be a huge deal for him as a pro. 

It's also difficult for me to say that he's near a cut off for QB size when he's such an outlier, we don't ever even see guys close to his size become legitimate NFL prospects. 

If we want Young we'd have to get to #1 so I agree it isn't worth it. But if he fell to #7 I would be ecstatic although that also probably means something else checked out worse case scenario for him.

• Like 1

Quick Mock Draft 

Round 1- Anthony Richardson QB- is he raw? is he risky? Yes, but I don't care. We wanted DC gone because we wanted someone with more size to stand in the pocket, someone who can also run if the pocket breaks down. We draft the guy who has the highest ceiling in the draft. Next year offense will feature Jacobs, and Adams to make the next QB job easier. I would trust Mcdaniels to make him a star. We put faith in Mcdaniels decision on DC, it's time for McDaniels to earn his money. I prefer Richardson to Levis. He's 4 years younger and more athletic. A great coach can make him a star. We are talking a Cam Newton type of player 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/anthony-richardson/32005249-4338-7833-9fd1-1d5e168eb504

Round 2 - CALIJAH KANCEY DT - he's an interior pass rusher. He would be a first rounder if he had better size. He is getting Geno Atkins/ John Randle hype. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/calijah-kancey/32004b41-4e04-6143-5a2e-df476a2bfc64

Round 3- Mike Morris DE - I think he is eventual replacement to Chandler Jones. A big athletic DE that Graham would like in his system. 6'5 290 End with bend *trade down for an additional 4th 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mike-morris/32004d4f-5248-0831-1322-2ec4ee6accb4

Round 4- ANDREW VORHEES G - trade down for an additional 4th-  plug in starter at guard. Won't have to worry about the position for the next 8-10 years. Older at 24 so I think he will be there in the mid/late 3rd. Kick Parham inside to Center 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/andrew-vorhees/3200564f-5214-8318-1d8d-426c413b6104

Round 4- Tyler Scott WR- might be the fastest player in the draft. A deep speed threat, who might surprise and start. Speed and could play special teams. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tyler-scott/32005343-4f71-9390-286c-9940bb34941f

Guys Brought back: 

Franchise Jacobs

Free Agent Starters Signed: Cheap vet QB, RG, RT, DT, LBx2, CB, S

Starters brought back: Billings, Rock

Edited by Humble_Beast

Trade #7 to Washington for #16 / #47 

16. Bryan Breese | DL | Clemson

Arguably the most talented DL in this years draft, he just can't stay healthy. I like the risk at 16 though, has All-Pro potential at a major position of need. 

38. Drew Sanders | LB | Arkansas

One of my favorite prospects in the class, he projects as a 3 down LB that can also provide some juice as a pass rusher. 

47. Deonte Banks | CB | Maryland 

The best CB prospect on the board, he projects as a day one starter as an outside CB to pair with Hobbs/RYS going forward. 

70. Steven Avila | IOL | TCU

One of my favorite guard prospects in this years class, good value at #70 and someone that would project as a day one starter. 

109. Jammie Robinson | DB | Florida State

Safety depth as someone that can rotate in with Moehrig or even potentially be his replacement. 

143. Tyler Scott | WR | Cincinatti 

Essentially a poor man's Henry Ruggs, dude has legit 4.2 speed and can play on the outside. 

145. Karl Brooks | DL | Bowling Green

Versatile DL depth that can play up and down the line going forward, PG had a close look at him at the Senior Bowl. 

174. Owen Pappoe | LB | Auburn

Rangy, athletic LB that would provide much needed depth.

16 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Round 2 - CALIJAH KANCEY DT - he's an interior pass rusher. He would be a first rounder if he had better size. He is getting Geno Atkins/ John Randle hype. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/calijah-kancey/32004b41-4e04-6143-5a2e-df476a2bfc64

Not sure he'll be in play for us, he's disruptive but he doesn't really fit the mold that Patrick Graham likes at DT. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Round 1- Anthony Richardson QB- is he raw? is he risky? Yes, but I don't care. We wanted DC gone because we wanted someone with more size to stand in the pocket, someone who can also run if the pocket breaks down. We draft the guy who has the highest ceiling in the draft. Next year offense will feature Jacobs, and Adams to make the next QB job easier. I would trust Mcdaniels to make him a star. We put faith in Mcdaniels decision on DC, it's time for McDaniels to earn his money. I prefer Richardson to Levis. He's 4 years younger and more athletic. A great coach can make him a star. We are talking a Cam Newton type of player 

This is hilarious. You've spent the last 3 months bashing McDaniel's for hurting your Fresno boys feelings, now you're all in on trusting him to develop an extremely raw QB in a star?

The Autumn wind sure is blowing all directions with this one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Quick Mock Draft 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/anthony-richardson/32005249-4338-7833-9fd1-1d5e168eb504

Round 3- Mike Morris DE - I think he is eventual replacement to Chandler Jones. A big athletic DE that Graham would like in his system. 6'5 290 End with bend *trade down for an additional 4th 

Round 4- ANDREW VORHEES G - trade down for an additional 4th-  plug in starter at guard. Won't have to worry about the position for the next 8-10 years. Older at 24 so I think he will be there in the mid/late 3rd. Kick Parham inside to Center 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/andrew-vorhees/3200564f-5214-8318-1d8d-426c413b6104

Round 4 - Mike Morris DE - I think he is eventual replacement to Chandler Jones. A big athletic DE that Graham would like in his system. 6'5 290 End with bend 

Round 4- Tyler Scott WR- might be the fastest player in the draft. A deep speed threat, who might surprise and start. Speed and could play special teams. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tyler-scott/32005343-4f71-9390-286c-9940bb34941f

Guys Brought back: 

Franchise Jacobs

Free Agent Starters Signed: Cheap vet QB, RG, RT, DT, LBx2, CB, S

Starters brought back: Billings, Rock

I like Kancey, Morris (though you’ve got him twice), Vorhees and Scott I just think Richardson is very, very risky. If we went QB at 7 I’d prefer Levis and he’s a risk also.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Trade #7 to Washington for #16 / #47 

16. Bryan Breese | DL | Clemson

Arguably the most talented DL in this years draft, he just can't stay healthy. I like the risk at 16 though, has All-Pro potential at a major position of need. 

38. Drew Sanders | LB | Arkansas

One of my favorite prospects in the class, he projects as a 3 down LB that can also provide some juice as a pass rusher. 

47. Deonte Banks | CB | Maryland 

The best CB prospect on the board, he projects as a day one starter as an outside CB to pair with Hobbs/RYS going forward. 

70. Steven Avila | IOL | TCU

One of my favorite guard prospects in this years class, good value at #70 and someone that would project as a day one starter. 

109. Jammie Robinson | DB | Florida State

Safety depth as someone that can rotate in with Moehrig or even potentially be his replacement. 

143. Tyler Scott | WR | Cincinatti 

Essentially a poor man's Henry Ruggs, dude has legit 4.2 speed and can play on the outside. 

145. Karl Brooks | DL | Bowling Green

Versatile DL depth that can play up and down the line going forward, PG had a close look at him at the Senior Bowl. 

174. Owen Pappoe | LB | Auburn

Rangy, athletic LB that would provide much needed depth.

To be fair, I love picks 70 on and I can see why you’d go with what you got in the top couple rounds. If we pulled of that Washington trade I would love us to get one of the top three or four CBs at 16 and a DE or DT at the top of the second is probably what I would be hoping.

I really hope we actually do something like this and add players like Brooks, Scott and Avila who all have flaws but big time potential, the mid to later rounds is a good place to gamble on high upside I feel with these type of players and players like Scott who can fit a specific niche.

18 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

To be fair, I love picks 70 on and I can see why you’d go with what you got in the top couple rounds. If we pulled of that Washington trade I would love us to get one of the top three or four CBs at 16 and a DE or DT at the top of the second is probably what I would be hoping.

I really hope we actually do something like this and add players like Brooks, Scott and Avila who all have flaws but big time potential, the mid to later rounds is a good place to gamble on high upside I feel with these type of players and players like Scott who can fit a specific niche.

I considered corner there as well but I'm assuming that Gonzalez, Witherspoon, and Joey Porter Jr will all be off the board by 16th.