The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

As the resident Tennessee homer I’m very high on Hendon on day two. I think he plays a game that projects well to McDaniels system, he’s a really smart kid, and he’s a great leader on and off the field. I’m a very big fan of his and he’s the best QB to come through Tennessee since Manning. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

As the resident Tennessee homer I’m very high on Hendon on day two. I think he plays a game that projects well to McDaniels system, he’s a really smart kid, and he’s a great leader on and off the field. I’m a very big fan of his and he’s the best QB to come through Tennessee since Manning. 

I support bringing a Hooker to Las Vegas.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Baker has at least proven to be a starting caliber player, JMD and the new regime have had Stidham for years and never really gave him an opportunity. 

Sign Baker, resign Stidham, draft Hooker in the middle rounds and let them compete for the starting job.

Baker is cheeks mentally he is not a leader, Clevland surrounded him with a top running game and defense that carried him not the other way around. On top of that his immaturity and lack of leadership is the reason he was shipped out of Cle. He then flopped in Carolina and had looked ok against our defense he hasn't proven much if you ask me.

Edited by raidr4life

4 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Baker is cheeks mentally he is not a leader, Clevland surrounded him with a top running game and defense that carried him not the other way around. On top of that his immaturity and lack of leadership is the reason he was shipped out of Cle. He then flopped in Carolina and had looked ok against our defense he hasn't proven much if you ask me.

He was good in his third season despite limited weapons around in him in the passing game. He hasn't ever really had a ton to work with in terms of pass catchers, OBJ was cooked after his first year with the Browns. I agree that the lack of leadership and his personality are a concern, but players change over time so I think there's a chance he can grow as a leader. He's not elite but he's about average and has shown he can be successful in the right environment. He'd be a bridge guy here but I think he'd do pretty well. Josh McDaniels is apparently a huge fan of him dating back to his days at Oklahoma.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He was good in his third season despite limited weapons around in him in the passing game. He hasn't ever really had a ton to work with in terms of pass catchers, OBJ was cooked after his first year with the Browns. I agree that the lack of leadership and his personality are a concern, but players change over time so I think there's a chance he can grow as a leader. He's not elite but he's about average and has shown he can be successful in the right environment. He'd be a bridge guy here but I think he'd do pretty well. Josh McDaniels is apparently a huge fan of him dating back to his days at Oklahoma.

I got a bit roasted for this take last year lol. 

I agree though. Things went south with Cleveland for a ton of reasons, and I don't fault him for not impressing in Carolina with the clown show they had. 

When he got to LA, I didn't see his teammates giving up on him at all. I saw the opposite. They rallied around him coming in on short notice and putting in the work.

I'd be comfortable enough with him as a stop gap. Of course, I don't know him personally, but I think a lot of the "character" stuff stems from college....and it's time folks let that go. 

Plenty of guys are knuckleheads in college. Why are the ones who have a ton of statistical success given such a pass by fans while guys who have middling or no success are given the "character concerns" label forever? Being good at football doesn't make one not a knucklehead, and being average or bad at it doesn't mean you're always going to be a knucklehead. Success and character are not dependent on one another, ya know? 

Henry Riggs had a great character coming out of Alabama- at least what was known. 

Mike Vick was a superstar in the league. 

T.O. was T.O. 

Matt Leinart was a ****** at USC and flopped in the league, but seems to have settled down into a professional lifestyle. 

So on, so forth. It's not like Baker was a hardened criminal getting a free pass because of his athletic talent. He was a frat bro that mouthed off immaturely and got too drunk for his own good sometimes. Not saying he's the best option that could ever be available, but I wouldn't worry about him being a turd until he became one. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I agree though. Things went south with Cleveland for a ton of reasons, and I don't fault him for not impressing in Carolina with the clown show they had. 

When he got to LA, I didn't see his teammates giving up on him at all. I saw the opposite. They rallied around him coming in on short notice and putting in the work.

I'd be comfortable enough with him as a stop gap. Of course, I don't know him personally, but I think a lot of the "character" stuff stems from college....and it's time folks let that go. 

Plenty of guys are knuckleheads in college. Why are the ones who have a ton of statistical success given such a pass by fans while guys who have middling or no success are given the "character concerns" label forever? Being good at football doesn't make one not a knucklehead, and being average or bad at it doesn't mean you're always going to be a knucklehead. Success and character are not dependent on one another, ya know? 

Henry Riggs had a great character coming out of Alabama- at least what was known. 

T.O. was T.O. 

Matt Leinart was a ****** at USC and flopped in the league, but seems to have settled down into a professional lifestyle. 

So on, so forth. It's not like Baker was a hardened criminal getting a free pass because of his athletic talent. He was a frat bro that mouthed off immaturely and got too drunk for his own good sometimes. Not saying he's the best option that could ever be available, but I wouldn't worry about him being a turd until he became one. 

This is the thing with QBs you never know how good there are until they are running the same offense for years. If you change the OC every year you're going to fail.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

This is the thing with QBs you never know how good there are until they are running the same offense for years. If you change the OC every year you're going to fail.

This is true and often overlooked because of a few outliers that came in and just dominated in a perfect fit. 

Rodgers was a few years into his starting gig before he was talked about as a great one. 

Brady was a few years in before he really got his reputation. 

Peyton Manning was a few years in. 

I'd say 2-3 years to really master a system and build chemistry with returning players. By 5-6 years, if you're still in the same system, you probably look like a megastar. QBs are real people lol. That sort of thing takes time to really get to where you know it inside and out. By year 10 or so, you're probably the type of player that has enough experience to walk in and just do it. But it's rare someone comes in from day 1 as a young QB and it clicks that perfectly. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FloydFan said:

This plus I’d trade down till end of the first then start my draft with hooker

i mocked

29) hooker

38) dawand

40) tuli 

45) jaylon jones

72) Jordan battle

78) overshown

109) Zach Harrison 

121) trey dean

143) Michael Wilson 

146) Jax Kirkland 

149) chase brown

169) Brent cox jr

174) Dorian t-r

204) kris Rodriguez 

222) jartavius martin

233) Steven Gilmore 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

i mocked

29) hooker

38) dawand

40) tuli 

45) jaylon jones

72) Jordan battle

78) overshown

109) Zach Harrison 

121) trey dean

143) Michael Wilson 

146) Jax Kirkland 

149) chase brown

169) Brent cox jr

174) Dorian t-r

204) kris Rodriguez 

222) jartavius martin

233) Steven Gilmore 

Love this. Granted a lot of the later guys I know little about…

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He was a game manager in his 3rd season, he couldn't be trusted to throw the ball alot despite having OBJ, Jarvis Landry and Austin Hooper.the defense and running game lead that team and Baker started thinking he is better than he is.

1-3 with the Rams beating a horrible Broncos team and pulling a comeback against our trash defense is not exciting to me.

Edited by raidr4life

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

T.O. was T.O. 

I agree.  People are capable of growing over time and from past experiences.  I’ve always thought OBJ is cancer to a team and QB, he may put up stats year 1 but he’s always in the QBs ear wanting the ball more and complicating the QBs growth.  
I’d tend to believe Baker didn’t have the best situation in his early years but it wasn’t the worst.  I think he wasn’t as good as some thought when he was drafted.  But, he could have developed into a Franchise QB that like Carr was good, but left you questioning if you should look for someone better.  

If we don’t land Rodgers or trade for Jones or draft Stroud at 7, then I’d want us to sign Baker to a 1 year deal for like $7-8M and act as a bridge QB.  Maybe he ends up surprising and has a great season and we keep him longterm.  I think it’s a 20% chance but at that point I’d take it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

i mocked

29) hooker

38) dawand

40) tuli 

45) jaylon jones

72) Jordan battle

78) overshown

109) Zach Harrison 

121) trey dean

143) Michael Wilson 

146) Jax Kirkland 

149) chase brown

169) Brent cox jr

174) Dorian t-r

204) kris Rodriguez 

222) jartavius martin

233) Steven Gilmore 

16 rookies?  I mean you drafted good players, but I don’t think that’d every really Happen.  It’s definitely fun to see the mock tho.