The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

21 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah…. The worst thing we could do is be a 6-8 Win team with some schmuck like Jimmy G.  If we’re rebuilding We’d have to be giving McD a pass on the ‘23 season if he at least showed some signs of progress.  That’s the other issue…. We got a HC that could be on the hot seat in ‘23 (I think he’s trash and should be fired this moment, but that’s another story) and you really shouldn’t draft a QB and fire the HC after his rookie year.  I think most new coaching candidates would be happy to take on Williams/Drake but it’s not good for the QBs development and how can you PROPERLY build up the core around the Rookie QB when your changing the entire coaching staff over.  You get into the whole “draft zone blocking OLmen and then hire a new power blocking OL coach, draft press corners and hire a new Zone coverage DC”.  We’ve done that for 2 decades and seen the pitiful results.  You’d have to hire a new staff that runs systems consistent to our current staff or ignore the warning signs and proceed with McD. 

It's counter intuitive to punt the 2023 season while expecting to see signs of progress from JMD. I think ideally you'd want to move on from JMD and replace him with a young coach that comes in at the same time as the next franchise QB. But realistically I don't think he's on the hot seat, he inherited a terrible situation and it's pretty clear that they were forced by MD to make win now moves. 

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Based on that logic Brittain Brown might be better than Josh Jacobs, we just haven't seen it yet. The Patriots reportedly viewed him as a potential QBOTF when they drafted him in 2019 but he couldn't beat out Cam Newton for the starting job and was pretty terrible in the limited time that he played. They decided to draft Mac Jones the following year in the 1st round and then Stidham failed to beat out Hoyer for the 2nd string job. The Patriots then decided that a 7th round pick was a good enough return to part ways with him. Stidham looks like a solid backup but the new regime has been with him his entire career and continuously chosen other guys over him as the starter and the backup.

I'd be fine with Baker but lord help us if we get Sam Darnold.

This is a non sequitur, we’ve seen Stidham in pre season and more importantly in live game action against a top D and the best team in the NFL. Stidham looked pretty good against the 49ers and though we have to appreciate they didn’t have much tape on him, he still produced a good performance against a top D. As for beating out an established QB in a complex system, well Carr just really struggled with that system and it was obviously dumbed down for Newton so I don’t think that’s a fair assessment. What Stidham is now is versed in the system we run and familiar, Mayfield I actually like and am probably in the minority there, but to say he’s definitively going to be better given what we’ve seen is wrong. We simply don’t know. Which is why I’m not against bringing Mayfiekd in and letting them both compete. 

Stidham to me is likely a decent backup and probably will never be a starting QB (many people would argue Mayfield is that too) but the point is, let’s let him compete as the one chance he got he looked pretty good. We simply cannot know.

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

This is a non sequitur, we’ve seen Stidham in pre season and more importantly in live game action against a top D and the best team in the NFL. Stidham looked pretty good against the 49ers and though we have to appreciate they didn’t have much tape on him, he still produced a good performance against a top D. As for beating out an established QB in a complex system, well Carr just really struggled with that system and it was obviously dumbed down for Newton so I don’t think that’s a fair assessment. What Stidham is now is versed in the system we run and familiar, Mayfield I actually like and am probably in the minority there, but to say he’s definitively going to be better given what we’ve seen is wrong. We simply don’t know. Which is why I’m not against bringing Mayfiekd in and letting them both compete. 

Stidham to me is likely a decent backup and probably will never be a starting QB (many people would argue Mayfield is that too) but the point is, let’s let him compete as the one chance he got he looked pretty good. We simply cannot know.

Stidham couldn't beat out the corpse of Cam Newton to be the Patriots starter, they drafted Mac over him, and he couldn't beat out Hoyer for the 2nd string spot during his last year in New England. They were fine trading him away for a 7th round pick and JMD didn't even believe in him enough to roll with him as QB2 with the Pats. Remember when Mariota stepped in for Carr and lit the Chargers up? The Falcons sure did, they remembered it well enough that they decided Mariota was going to be their starter this season, how'd that turn out again? 

If Stidham was starting caliber I'm assuming JMD, the coach that has been with him his entire career, would know it and have confidence in him. 

Baker is the former #1 overall pick and has actually led a team to the playoffs as a starter. Look at his 2020 numbers: 3,500 yards, 26 TD/8 INT for an 11-5 playoff team that actually won their wildcard game and came extremely close to upsetting the Chiefs in Arrowhead. Stidham has more career interceptions than TDs at this point, I think it's safe to say that Baker is the better player.

10 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

fixed * … I want to like Levis but it’s hard. I think they have similar issues but Richardson has more potential. He’s 3 years younger, bigger, faster, and more athletic. Richardson will be a top3 athlete at his position in Day1. Richardson has the highest ceiling in the draft 

You also have to think how likely a player is to reach his perceived ‘ceiling’. That to me, kind of limits Richardsons ceiling as he’s starting way too far behind in basic skills for me to envision him hitting that level. To me, Levis had the highest reasonably reachable ceiling but Young is the most likely to reach his ceiling. Stroud has the highest floor but possibly the lower ceiling of all 4, though that’s not to say that is bad, it’s still very good. 

Which player is the most likely to achieve their perceived ceiling and how high is that ceiling is such a subjective thing though…….. that’s the beauty of the draft, we all gave our criteria and projections and they’re none of them wrong just yet 😁

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

You also have to think how likely a player is to reach his perceived ‘ceiling’. That to me, kind of limits Richardsons ceiling as he’s starting way too far behind in basic skills for me to envision him hitting that level. To me, Levis had the highest reasonably reachable ceiling but Young is the most likely to reach his ceiling. Stroud has the highest floor but possibly the lower ceiling of all 4, though that’s not to say that is bad, it’s still very good. 

Which player is the most likely to achieve their perceived ceiling and how high is that ceiling is such a subjective thing though…….. that’s the beauty of the draft, we all gave our criteria and projections and they’re none of them wrong just yet 😁

Richardson is a prime case of has the tools but sucks at actually playing football.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Richardson is a prime case of has the tools but sucks at actually playing football.

Haha, like I’ve got all the tools in my shed to be a carpenter but you wouldn’t want me building a table for you 😁😁

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Haha, like I’ve got all the tools in my shed to be a carpenter but you wouldn’t want me building a table for you 😁😁

Josh Allen is one of the best things to happen to football but also one of the worst things to happen to the draft community. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Sure he had bad games, but let’s not act like he didn’t have good games. This game showed how good Arich can be. Don’t forget, ARich is only a sophomore. He could have easily came back for his JR year and had a monster year. ARich could have been the 1st pick in 2024 with those tools and another year of seasoning. Buying Arich would be investing in a stock before it explodes. 

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Wasnt Richardson benched this year?  It’s more likely then not Richardson never reaches his potential IMO.  That’s too much of a risk for a top 20 pick IMO.

Not sure if he was ever benched but as NCough said, he did get hurt a couple times. Regardless, there's not much to like about him except his arm strength and ability to run at his size. Russell could do all that and we know what happened w/ him. I don't think Richardson's attitude is as ****ty as his but you never know

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Round 2 or early 3, 25 doesn't matter to me that much. He'll be 30 or so by the time his rookie deal is up, and that's plenty young enough to extend a guy if you want. 

I look at QBs through a decade lens. 10 years is a good run with one team. We've seen quite a few guys top that recently, but I'm not ready to say you need 10+ with a guy for it to be a successful run, especially with how contracts are ballooning. 

• Like 1