The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

Such a beautiful EDGE and CB class. I love Gonzalez, Porter, and Banks. People sleeping on Banks. I like Witherspoon but not in love with him. My #4 CB. 

EDGE: Anderson, Wilson, Van Ness, Smith, Murphy. Jeeze. Monster edge class. I even love some of the second rounders. 

Edited by BayRaider

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

1st round CB and 2nd round edge is the way to go. Unless the FO changes their mind about carter, Will Anderson drops somehow, or stroud/young make it to 3.

I agree if Anderson falls you ****** him in a heartbeat then just go CB 2nd round still will be some starter types left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Such a beautiful EDGE and CB class. I love Gonzalez, Porter, and Banks. People sleeping on Banks. I like Witherspoon but not in love with him. My #4 CB. 

EDGE: Anderson, Wilson, Van Ness, Smith, Murphy. Jeeze. Monster edge class. I even love some of the second rounders. 

That's why I'm willing to trade down add a few extra picks, because I would be happy with Banks or Porter mid round then add a few extra players in round 2 and 3. That's what I did in that last mock. Got some strong defensive players then rounded out the offense and that's all by the 4th round.

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Blue Chippers though, I would consider the Top 3 QB’s, Will Anderson, Tyree Wilson, Christian Gonzalez, Jalen Carter would be the blue chip prospects of this class imo. And without Gruden pulling the strings, one is guaranteed to be a Raider! Pretty exciting. 

IMO.... Anderson, Carter are the only blue chip can't miss guys (based on talent alone). The QBs all have flaws and Gonzalez/Wilson also have some holes in their game. 

Only 2 guys I take knowing all-pro is not out of the question are Anderson/Carter. 

My only concern about Anderson is Bama tends to max out players in college. They’re great college players but pretty mid pros. I’ve doubted that he’d last to 7 so I don’t know much about him. Can anyone tell me why he’d be considered blue chip can’t miss prospect?

• Like 1

I think I’m starting to prefer Witherspoon over Gonzalez. 

Gonzalez is a freaking specimen and has a ceiling that’s otherworldly, but he’s got a few areas that aren’t being talked about enough here.  

1: one huge year (he wasn’t very good in 21 TBH)

2: ball skills are okay, not elite

3: questions about his COD (skipped agility drills)

4: run defense isn’t bad, but he’s a not “dawg”

For clarity sake, I’m not saying he’ll bust or that he’s awful in any of the above nitpicks.

Witherspoon on the other hand doesn’t have that insane H/W/S that Gonzo has. While I dinged Gonzo for skipping the agility  testing, I’m giving Witherspoon a pass due to injury (Voluntarily skipping something always always has me more worried).

However, he  has better instincts, is more scheme diverse (better in zone than CG, though he’s still a man cb imo) and is an outstanding run defender/tone setter.

I’d be ecstatic for either, but Witherspoon just seems like more of a sure thing at this point to me. 

Edited by 101Raider
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

I think I’m starting to prefer Witherspoon over Gonzalez. 

Gonzalez is a freaking specimen and has a ceiling that’s otherworldly, but he’s got a few areas that aren’t being talked about enough here.  

1: one huge year (he wasn’t very good in 21 TBH)

2: ball skills are okay, not elite

3: questions about his COD (skipped agility drills)

4: run defense isn’t bad, but he’s a not “dawg”

For clarity sake, I’m not saying he’ll bust or that he’s awful in any of the above nitpicks.

Witherspoon on the other hand doesn’t have that insane H/W/S that Gonzo has. While I dinged Gonzo for skipping the agility  testing, I’m giving Witherspoon a pass due to injury (Voluntarily skipping something always always has me more worried).

However, he  has better instincts, is more scheme diverse (better in zone than CG, though he’s still a man cb imo) and is an outstanding run defender/tone setter.

I’d be ecstatic for either, but Witherspoon just seems like more of a sure thing at this point to me. 

I actually prefer Porter Jr over them both, but I think it's name recognition. I'd be happy with any of them though. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

1) weak examples of players saying nice things when there’s no pressure on them    Are just that weak examples.  Do you really expect Crosby to bash JMD on Bussin with the Boys?  Come on!

2) Sadly JMD is doing the same things he did in Denver (and that short bit of time in Indy) all these years later.  Thats the concerning part.

So I have this straight. The remarks of current and former players, doesn't matter. And we have to throw out all the comments from Hondo's article from players and executive he talk to as well. 

But the opinions of ex-Broncos somehow hold weight?

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I actually prefer Porter Jr over them both, but I think it's name recognition. I'd be happy with any of them though. 

I agree.  Porter has been my top CB prospect for months and I have not deviated from that. Ideally we can trade back a few spots, acquire more draft capital and still land him but he very well could be the 1st CB off the board.  Porter projects to be a lockdown #1 and has a very well rounded skillset.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

So I have this straight. The remarks of current and former players, doesn't matter. And we have to throw out all the comments from Hondo's article from players and executive he talk to as well. 

But the opinions of ex-Broncos somehow hold weight?

Don’t over complicate it. In the eyes of @ronjon1990and @jimkelly02 If it is negative towards McDaniels it is an absolute fact. If it is positive about McDaniels it is absolute fiction. No amount of nuance, critical thinking, or logic is necessary. Their mind is made up. 

I honestly don’t feel that strongly about it to go back and forth but it’s clear what their agenda is and no amount of trying to meet in the middle will get them to move off their position an inch. They very well could be right but it’s grating to read the constant hyperbolic rants and pages upon pages of the same argument packaged up in slightly different ways and immediate personal attacks toward anybody who dares to think differently. 

Edited by jpaulthe1st
  • Like 3

I don't know what you all see in Porter. I wonder if his name has helped his draft stock some. 

Production was meh. Plays very tight. He is long and does well in press coverage, but isn't fluid turning his hips and starts trying to grab receivers to slow their routes. He was a penalty machine in college because of it. He looks erratic in what I've seen. 

I have him ranked in that 2nd group of corners. High bust potential in my opinion. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Don’t over complicate it. In the eyes of @ronjon1990and @jimkelly02 If it is negative towards McDaniels it is an absolute fact. If it is positive about McDaniels it is absolute fiction. No amount of nuance, critical thinking, or logic is necessary. Their mind is made up. 

I honestly don’t feel that strongly about it to go back and forth but it’s clear what their agenda is and no amount of trying to meet in the middle will get them to move off their position an inch. They very well could be right but it’s grating to read the constant hyperbolic rants and pages upon pages of the same argument packaged up in slightly different ways and immediate personal attacks toward anybody who dares to think differently. 

Yes my minds made up, I’ve spoken to an Raiders player from last season, the same issues of the past have repeated themself, and I’ve done my research.

But, people can change.  The person I was in 2012 is the exact opposite of the person I am in 2023.  I think Zeigler is far more down to earth then JMD.  I hope he can be a positive influence on JMD.  I absolutely want JMD to change, but change requires 2 things: necessity/an event that sparks that brings consequences and desire to change.  I’m not seeing that out of JMD at the moment.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't know what you all see in Porter. I wonder if his name has helped his draft stock some. 

Production was meh. Plays very tight. He is long and does well in press coverage, but isn't fluid turning his hips and starts trying to grab receivers to slow their routes. He was a penalty machine in college because of it. He looks erratic in what I've seen. 

I have him ranked in that 2nd group of corners. High bust potential in my opinion. 

Porter may end up being a good starter in a defense that suits his strength and not weaknesses, I’m just not a huge fan of his when you factor in he’s supposedly a mid 1st pick.  

One thing I keep hearing here and other places is: “We’ll draft defensive players heavily to fill out the holes there”

My concern is: Will these young players be able to contribute and be productive in their rookie years?

Tyree Wilson is a DE prospect we are often linked to at 7.  It’s pretty widely considered true that he’s a raw prospect who will need 2 maybe 3 years to hit his prime.  Christian Gonzales is the other most mocked player to us at 7 and while he’s a great athlete he needs rather major improvements in zone coverage and making plays at the catch point.

My concern is that we’re expecting 3-4 starters from the draft and that might be an unrealistic expectation.

• Like 1

I share the same sentiment most of you are saying. Outside Anderson/Carter and one of the top 4 QB's there's an extremely small chance for a team changing propsect. Gonzalez is amazing don't get me wrong, but rarely do CB's change your team. Good side is there are quite a few DE's that look like they have what it takes to turn into a franchise player. I would just hate to miss out on these top few guys that look like they have an extremely high chance to be the franchise guy. 

Trading down feels very underwhelming to me. We have plenty of draft picks already. This whole offseason it feels like we've done nothing but downgrade an many positions, trading down feels like we'd be downgrading what could have been yet again.