The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I remember thinking we were about to go off.  Lol.  Man...what a waste of a talent.  Great RT before he came here, AB was top 3 at the position until he came here.  L. Joyner turned out to be a product of A. Donald and that legit Rams defense.  And T Williams went down after 4-5 games and never came back.

Man...what a pipe dream that was.

Tyrell Williams was hurt all the time. He was expensive, but it wouldn't have been awful if he'd actually played. 

Trent....yeah that was bizarre. 

Joyner was miscast terribly. He has plenty of flaws, especially for the price, but I think it could have worked with a better cast. 

The only move I hated was Antonio. Pittsburgh runs a tight ship with Tomlin, and they couldn't get rid of him soon enough. I have a ton of respect for that franchise, and that was all I needed to know about AB. Players that great (and he was indeed a great on field talent, no doubt) don't get moved that cheaply or quickly unless there's a very good reason. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 4:53 PM, Rich7sena said:

I'm starting to land on Skoronski being the likeliest pick at 7. Seems like a very Patriots-like player and position to prioritize.

Interesting thought. I would 100% not do this if I was making the pick and would 100% pick a defensive player, but there would be something quite appealing about having possibly the safest pick in the entire draft. One who every single person believes will at the very least be an All Pro guard - a position that is a pretty desperate need for us.

Add to that his position versatility and, while his arms may lead to him being a better guard than tackle, could also fill in as a very solid RT - where we have had a turnstile of uselessness for the age of the earth.

Again, wouldn’t be my choice and would be kinda disappointed- especially if we took him over say Witherspoon or Gonzalez - but I think if we were to fast forward to camp and then the season and we began to see the difference he could make on our historically/forever terrible oline, the pick might begin to grow on us some. And given how deep this draft is in defensive positions of need - it could work out okay.

When all’s said and done I just want the most very very good players on my team - so could learn to like it if that’s where the FO choose to go.

Wouldn’t it be nice if Stroud or Richardson fell to 7? I don’t think it’ll happen. I still think Stroud goes second. But remember all the January and first half of February mocks that had Stroud going 7? Sometimes those January Mocks/Rankings end up the most accurate and March/April is overthinking season. Back in January Young was by far the consensus #1. Stroud, Richardson, Levis go from 2-7 in any order, with one usually falling to the teens. The final couple weeks here, I do feel things are starting to revert back to that January landscape. 

But gun to my head, I still think it’s Bryce 1, Stroud 2, Richardson 3, Anderson 4, Wilson 5 (over Carter), and the Lions will go Gonzalez or Carter. It’s being heavily rumored Lions love Gonzalez and that is the pick at 6. Which means Jalen Carter will be there at 7. And I have a feeling we are going to pass on Carter which is going to make a lot of people unhappy. 

If the 3 QB’s, Anderson, Wilson, and Gonzalez are gone, I would prefer either drafting Carter or a trade back. Either trade to around 10 and get Van Ness (Van Ness is one of my draft crushes, and he’s not making it past Houston imo), or trade to 15ish and get Deonte Banks. 

I don’t think anyone is worth pick 7 outside of Carter in that situation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

With no testing, I think people are gonna be surprised to see Witherspoon fall to the teens and possibly the third corner taken. 

Corner is so tricky sometimes. 

Witherspoon not testing could very well see him as the 4th off the board. 

I flip flop but Witherspoon, Gonzalez, and Porter Jr are my decided top 3. 

But someone could fall in love with one of Smith, Banks, or Ringo and next thing you know, a presumptive top 3 CB is in free fall. 

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

I remember thinking we were about to go off.  Lol.  Man...what a waste of a talent.  Great RT before he came here, AB was top 3 at the position until he came here.  L. Joyner turned out to be a product of A. Donald and that legit Rams defense.  And T Williams went down after 4-5 games and never came back.

Man...what a pipe dream that was.

Well that's why I'm all for a different approach we had over 30 free agents we signed all our depth players and a few low budget guys our stars have to come from the draft. 3 or 4 high priced free agents wasn't going to fill the roster.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if Stroud or Richardson fell to 7? I don’t think it’ll happen. I still think Stroud goes second. But remember all the January and first half of February mocks that had Stroud going 7? Sometimes those January Mocks/Rankings end up the most accurate and March/April is overthinking season. Back in January Young was by far the consensus #1. Stroud, Richardson, Levis go from 2-7 in any order, with one usually falling to the teens. The final couple weeks here, I do feel things are starting to revert back to that January landscape. 

But gun to my head, I still think it’s Bryce 1, Stroud 2, Richardson 3, Anderson 4, Wilson 5 (over Carter), and the Lions will go Gonzalez or Carter. It’s being heavily rumored Lions love Gonzalez and that is the pick at 6. Which means Jalen Carter will be there at 7. And I have a feeling we are going to pass on Carter which is going to make a lot of people unhappy. 

If the 3 QB’s, Anderson, Wilson, and Gonzalez are gone, I would prefer either drafting Carter or a trade back. Either trade to around 10 and get Van Ness (Van Ness is one of my draft crushes, and he’s not making it past Houston imo), or trade to 15ish and get Deonte Banks. 

I think that is pretty much the worst case scenario for us and so it’s likely to happen.

We would have to be certain about Carters character to take him at #7 given the Riggs situation, any character issues that were to arise would reflect badly on the FO and organisation no matter how good his play was. 

Id prefer a trade down and take Witherspoon/Porter/Banks, but knowing our luck we will be forced to pick. 

3 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Another reminder, Trent Brown, Antonio Brown, Lamarcus Joyner, Tyrell Williams. The Raiders got nothing but headaches with Antonio Brown, and wasted $85 million on Williams, Joyner and Trent Brown. Hmmm . . . $85 million.

This is why I don't get get worked up over FA. 50% of FA signing bust. They are FA for a reason and half the time they don't fit the culture, position, etc. of the new team. Trying to build a team via FA rarely works and is not sustainable. 

@bucksavage1 You’re right, Wilson is surpassing Anderson to be picked first in the Vegas Odds. It wouldn’t be shocking. I like Anderson, and he would be an amazing pick at 7 that would have me super excited, but people have been acting all draft season like he’s some generational prospect like Bosa/Garrett when he’s not. Seeing Wilson, Carter, and Gonzalez go before Anderson would be a bit of a surprise, but not exactly shocking. 

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I have been saying for months a trade back to draft either Porter or LVN.  I also agree that it is highly unlikely the LVN makes it past 15.  If we can come out of round 1 with a stud edge rusher or a stud Cb we will be off to a good start.  

On 4/17/2023 at 8:53 AM, Rich7sena said:

I'm starting to land on Skoronski being the likeliest pick at 7. Seems like a very Patriots-like player and position to prioritize.

He use to be my pick in fanspeak before I got a crush on Broderick Jones. Now I'm crushing on Gonzalez. Anderson is my all time favorite and I'd trade up to 3 now to get him or Stroud/Young. 

1) Edge Anderson

2a/b QB's Young/Stroud

4) DT Carter if I liked the face to face

5) CB Gonzalez

6) TRADE DOWN! get CB or Oline B. Jones is my fav but Sko, Paris and Wright are all good if they want linemen to play T/G

also many of the CB's I'm good with. Would double dip at CB especially if we trade down. Gonzalez and Ringo are experienced and really young.

Also want a TE in the 3rd. If Washington was there at 70 I'd take him over defense players I like like the 2nd CB.