The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’ve seen so many “accurate” mock drafters from the past have us picking Paris Johnson at 7. Yuck. He’s not even the best OT of the class. It would be so underwhelming and disappointment. So, it likely is the pick. 

Thanks for lowering my expectations. It will make watching the draft at the end of this month less painful.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’ve seen so many “accurate” mock drafters from the past have us picking Paris Johnson at 7. Yuck. He’s not even the best OT of the class. It would be so underwhelming and disappointment. So, it likely is the pick. 

Meh imo him and Brod are 1a and 1b

rather have Paris than that northwestern g/t guy

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I never want another OT with 32 inch arms.  Didn’t people learn from Gallery. He was by far a better prospect there anyone in this draft and busted. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I never want another OT with 32 inch arms.  Didn’t people learn from Gallery. He was by far a better prospect there anyone in this draft and busted. 

I’m with you on Alligator armed Tackle prospects. Gallery is part of the reason why I believe the Raiders are truly cursed. Anybody who remembers that draft knows that Gallery was as can’t miss of a prospect as you could get and somehow he still managed to be a huge disappointment (even though he became a serviceable Guard). 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I’m with you on Alligator armed Tackle prospects. Gallery is part of the reason why I believe the Raiders are truly cursed. Anybody who remembers that draft knows that Gallery was as can’t miss of a prospect as you could get and somehow he still managed to be a huge disappointment (even though he became a serviceable Guard). 

Wanted Big Ben so badly that year, I’m still lamenting that draft. Lol. Al did the safe thing ( yes, gallery was highly regarded and considered a safe and good pick and it blew up in our face) if al would’ve done the right thing in 97 we wouldn’t have needed gallery, if you’re gonna trade to 2 to try to get the guy you really want, why not number 1? The rams jumped us, they got pace......we got Russell....smh! If you’re gonna make a move, do it 100%! Not 95%. Those dominoes tumble for years, it’s hindsight, but no gallery instead Big Ben = NO EFFIN JAWALRUS!!! 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Thanks, now I've got images of a 6'6 320 lb OT running a post route flailing his arms at the ball Billy Bob style stuck in my head 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

the thing will corner, he needs to be lock down all pro to be worth a first rounder. I would rather draft a good starting LINEMAN either side of the ball over a good starting DB.  Especially with the state of our defensive line, prolly one of the least talented in the entire league. 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, reddevil said:

Interesting thought. I would 100% not do this if I was making the pick and would 100% pick a defensive player, but there would be something quite appealing about having possibly the safest pick in the entire draft. One who every single person believes will at the very least be an All Pro guard - a position that is a pretty desperate need for us.

Add to that his position versatility and, while his arms may lead to him being a better guard than tackle, could also fill in as a very solid RT - where we have had a turnstile of uselessness for the age of the earth.

Again, wouldn’t be my choice and would be kinda disappointed- especially if we took him over say Witherspoon or Gonzalez - but I think if we were to fast forward to camp and then the season and we began to see the difference he could make on our historically/forever terrible oline, the pick might begin to grow on us some. And given how deep this draft is in defensive positions of need - it could work out okay.

When all’s said and done I just want the most very very good players on my team - so could learn to like it if that’s where the FO choose to go.

I'd be dissapointed as heck.

I'd rather shoot for an all pro corner than an all pro guard.  I understand the safe pick but man we need talent and we need it bad.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Well that's why I'm all for a different approach we had over 30 free agents we signed all our depth players and a few low budget guys our stars have to come from the draft. 3 or 4 high priced free agents wasn't going to fill the roster.

Great drafts make great teams.  No other way to put it.  Eagles and Chiefs are proof of it.  The majority of their starters were drafted by them.  Both just made it to the SB.  Hopefully we have some very successful drafts moving forward.  I would be happy to see us find 4-5 starters that can really play.  I know it's hard, but it's possible.  We do have like 12 picks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Whoever lands Robinson is so lucky.

Pray to god the Chiefs don't manage a trade up for him.

Video didn't load and I thought you were talking about Allen Robinson (just woke up and a bit dazed) and was like @RaidersAreOne please slap yourself.. nobody is lucky to have Allen Robinson. 

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Brod is 1a and Paris is 1b I agree. Skor is a Pro Bowl Guard, not a Tackle. But no Tackle is worth Pick 7 in this class. And especially considering they would be a RT for us. 

• Like 2