The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

I think they take AR.

I remember Carroll was talking about never having a high enough draft pick to take a QB and that this was a “rare opportunity” before resigning Geno.

Geno is 32. I’m sure the idea of drafting a physical specimen at QB and having the absolute luxury of having him sit and learn is greatly appealing.

Seattle's staff never struck me as being particularly good with developing QBs, but whatever they did with Geno was the right moves. 

Richardson would be in an ideal spot to learn and get mentored for a couple of years in Seattle. 

3 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Paris Johnson is now the betting favorite to be selected at #7 if he makes it there

Big if he makes it there though. Could also be a prime trade area for another team

If you will this into existence I swear

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Plus you’re also kind of devaluing the player really by ‘making’ him versatile. A good quality LT is a valuable commodity, but as soon as you affix the designation OG then I don’t know, it seems to imply that they’re not good enough to just be a good Tackle, or a franchise tackle, they need to slide inside due to some imperfection like short arms or something.

For example if you pick Skoronski and play him at LT then pick 7 is kind of worth it (maybe not for us specifically as we already have a LT) but if you make him a RT/OG then, to me at least, you’re not getting good value. I’d think a RT/OG would be a day 2 pick. I’m also as you say above, hesitant to pick a guy high then instantly change his position to one he’s not actually shown he can play at an elite level.

Fine with doing that to a 5th rounder or something but if you’re picking a tackle in the top half of the first he needs to be a franchise LT. No other OLine position is worth that expense otherwise IMO.

Exactly… your never hear versatile when it’s about a LT that’s expected to be a LT but could play a less valuable position if the team needs.  
im also against drafting a player at 7 to change positions.  If you want a G take the very best one … in round 2 OR a top 5 one in rounds 3-4.  I think it’s wasteful to take a T at 7 to play at G.  Also. Honestly I don’t know if Skoronski is the best G prospect … and definitely not by the margin that he’d be drafted ahead of the next G taken.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, massraider said:

Albert Breer tweeted that all five teams from 10-14 have called about moving up. 

They know the truth:  There's like 7 special players, and then like, 30 dudes.  

If we trade down, I need a 1 next year. None of this extra 2nd round crap. We have 5 picks in the top 109, a top 10 pick, and 12 picks. If we make NO trades, we already are in a good spot.

I'm fine with a couple of 2nd round picks this year if it means I could have Steve Avila, Jack Campbell, and FAU all in the 2nd round. On top of #1 CB in the 1st.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I'm fine with a couple of 2nd round picks this year if it means I could have Steve Avila, Jack Campbell, and FAU all in the 2nd round. On top of #1 CB in the 1st.

This. 

There's such a logjam for at least 2, if not  all 4, questionable QBs that it's diluting the field. 

Hypothetically, if we walked away with, say, Porter Jr, Campbell, FAU, and Avila.... that's a great draft on it's own , imo. And that's not even accounting for any of our other picks. I'd jump on that all day long. 

• Like 2

Signs are heavily pointing CJ Stroud being a Raider in about five hours. All those mocks in January look to he correct. I swear every draft season January mocks are more accurate than March/April mocks. March and April is absolutely nothing but lying season and overthinking season. 

I’m not the biggest fan of Stroud’s ceiling which is Fringe Top 8-10 QB, but he is an perfect fit for McDaniels system, and way better than Jimmy or Carr (if he reaches his potential). CJ Stroud come on down!!!!