The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Charlie Campbell, who gets our pick right pretty often, has us taking Tyree Wilson. I think Wilson goes Top 5 but I’d be down if he was the Pick 7. Not crazy jumping for joy excited, but pretty excited. His ceiling is nuts. 

I don’t think Wilson gets out of the top 5. His upside is crazy especially if used right. If he was at 7, that would be the quickest selection in the history 

• Like 1

30 more hours. Excited. Richardson, Anderson, Carter, Gonzalez, Wilson, Van Ness. Hoping one of these dude’s is a Raider come tomorrow night. I’d be pretty lukewarm on Paris… OL at 7 with our defense this bad and no QBOTF is not the best use of draft capital. 

We’ll find out soon gentlemen. 

• Like 4

On 4/20/2023 at 8:58 PM, big_palooka said:

Good breakdown here of his positives and negatives. Whomever said he locks on to his WR and doesn't read defenses is clueless. 

You can see a lot of high end reads and throws and NFL QB needs to make here. Good break down on how miserable he had it with his supporting cast in 2022. 

Cleaning up the negatives, turnovers will be the challenge with him. But if you can develop him, he's dripping with talent. 

Highest ceiling of any QB in the class IMHO. Saying that, he does have bust potential too though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldManWillis said:

What gets me is the timing of the rumors. Seems like a bluff, and someone is trying to get the QB to fall.

The being difficult to coach is something that also concerns me. I believe Stroud said something along the lines of the Raiders coaches being strict, but he could tell they loved football. I think this was after he met with them at the combine. That caught my attention as a red flag, So maybe there is some truth to his coachability.

I still have Stroud as my top target, but who knows. I really hope the Raiders have done enough homework on the kid. I'll trust them if they select him or pass.

Same here. If they take him, then I'll buy into the fact they vetted him, he's a fit and they think he can handle the way McDaniels coaches QBs. 

On 4/21/2023 at 7:31 PM, Dessie said:

What am I missing with Mazi Smith ? .5 sacks in his college career isn’t the stats id expect for a guy who played so highly ranked ? 

Amazing athlete and speed but when I watch him his technique is rudimentary and he really doesn’t seem to have any real pass rush moves, counters or finesse. He’s certainly got potential but for a guy who should be so much more athletic than those he’s going up against you’d think he would dominate. Seems like he explodes in a straight line then gets lost a bit.

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Same here. If they take him, then I'll buy into the fact they vetted him, he's a fit and they think he can handle the way McDaniels coaches QBs. 

But I thought you said we can’t take him if Chris Ballard and Nick Caserio pass on him? Two guys that were confident in Davis Mills and Matt Ryan a year ago?

30 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If we take Tyree at 7, what's the outlook for Koonce going forward? 

Just a rotational guy? 

Can he play LB? 

Both are fine by me, just wondering if anyone knows enough about him. 

Koonce is an afterthought. He has potential but he was drafted by the last admin. He's probably the 4th DE and fringe roster guy who won't get PT unless their is an injury. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I wouldn’t hate it but pick 7 on a RT? When we have a Bottom 5 Defense and no QB of the Future? Ehhh, yikes. 

I was down to draft a RT at 17 2 years ago… I wanted Darrisaw. He was #1 on my entire big board for Pick 17. And he’s doing great on Minnesota. Pick 17 is fine for a RT. I loved Darrisaw. 

But I will say about Paris Johnson, people sleeping on his pass protection. He is elite. Reminds me of the dude the Ravens took a while back, Staley was it? Absolute Elite Tier Pass Protection. But his Run Blocking is only slightly above average…

Johnson at 7 and an OG in the third, and we potentially have a Top 5 OL, and Jimmy probably looks way better than he actually is. 

But

1) We would give up a million points a game

2) No QBOTF

I too would be disappointed if we went OL with our first - and particularly if we don’t trade down. It’s quite amazing when you think about that though. OL has been as mismanaged as defense. We have spoken about having a crap oline for as long as with as much vitriol as we have about our defense.

Any other year, we’d probably be all over a prospect like Johnson (and for those of us that like Skoronski (sorry, I get the ‘no guard early’ argument - but I think he’s projects to be a top player and pro))

What makes it different is the lack of investment on D this off-season imo. If the FO had brought in just a couple of mid level starters in the front 7 or backfield, then we might not have pigeon holed ourselves into the position of needing to come out of the draft with a multiple starters to even put out a functional D.

And I don’t mind that they went in the direction they went in - if they intend to build the D through the draft as they have alluded to -  and unless you are totally confident that you can get those starters in the middle rounds (which would be balllsy to say the least), then you are pretty much undoing your own plan by going offense with 7.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If we take Tyree at 7, what's the outlook for Koonce going forward? 

Just a rotational guy? 

Can he play LB? 

Both are fine by me, just wondering if anyone knows enough about him. 

Don’t think the staff thinks much of him. Played less than 70 snaps last year and it’s not like Jones was tearing it up. 

this might be my last hope to be positive for awhile. I hope we own the draft: 4 picks in the first 3 rounds should equal 4 new starters. I hope all those picks are on defense. then hopefully we find a steal or 3 on day 3. Our defense would be young and actually have a chance. Our offense has talent, need to balance out the team. 

• Like 1