The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

I don't understand the hate for him as a tackle. He had a typical rookie season. mistakes were made. Also his move to guard was necessary because of injuries to Ritchie and Good. He has the pedigree for tackle...That's my 2 cents

26 minutes ago, bullslugg said:

I don't understand the hate for him as a tackle. He had a typical rookie season. mistakes were made. Also his move to guard was necessary because of injuries to Ritchie and Good. He has the pedigree for tackle...That's my 2 cents

Nobody hates him as a player.  He may have been drafted to early and I think if we took him in the 2nd almost nobody would complain.  My biggest issue with him is him being on the right side.  Having him there last year was us saying we are going to have 1 player on the line that is going to suck.  What would be considered rookie growing pains were amplified.  I hope he can develop and the positive reports where true.  I just want a RT that wants to play RT to play RT.  Been a while since that has happened.  I believe Austin Howard would be the last one.

12 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Nobody hates him as a player.  He may have been drafted to early and I think if we took him in the 2nd almost nobody would complain.  My biggest issue with him is him being on the right side.  Having him there last year was us saying we are going to have 1 player on the line that is going to suck.  What would be considered rookie growing pains were amplified.  I hope he can develop and the positive reports where true.  I just want a RT that wants to play RT to play RT.  Been a while since that has happened.  I believe Austin Howard would be the last one.

I listen to alot of talking heads about Raiders. 90% start with "what are we going to do about Right tackle".  I think we don't need to worry so much....my gut feeling

16 hours ago, bullslugg said:

most rookie tackles struggle, unless you are Walter Jones. I feel really confident he is going to be solid in year 2. I just wonder if he can be great or just solid/good. People worry alot about the team, that's what fans do. I'm not worried about Leatherwood, I'm more worried about the interior. 

3 hours ago, bullslugg said:

I listen to alot of talking heads about Raiders. 90% start with "what are we going to do about Right tackle".  I think we don't need to worry so much....my gut feeling

I take the YouTube experts opinions with a grain of salt. It's cool there are there for content, but I hear flaws when I listen. 

5 hours ago, bullslugg said:

That is the biggest issue for me also. Once again having a LT play RT.  Hopefully this coaching staff can help with his transition because it has not work out so far for him and other guys.

On 7/25/2022 at 4:54 PM, drfrey13 said:

I think the he's either a LT or a RT is very overblown, guys switch sides and are still good all of the time.

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think the he's either a LT or a RT is very overblown, guys switch sides and are still good all of the time.

I agree to a certain extent.  There is a spectrum.  Some guys can pick up a a position change in a matter of days while others may take years.  We have run into so many problems with this because Cable assumed he could just move a LT to RT if they fit his measurements.  A player like good we could move around and he is fine.  A player like Miller would have needed a year or so and someone like Parker has not been able to do it in 4 years.  Leatherwood had left side footwork all of last year while on the right side.  We have used a 1st and a 3rd on LTs that have never played RT to be our RTs.  I do not see how this can not be seen as an unacceptable risk.  In 2018 I said we should have had Miller at RT and Parker at LT.  Miller could have easily been a pro bowl level RT after year 1 and we have seen Parker get thrown in at LT after years of being forced to play RT and he performed well.  Cable and Gruden screwed up once again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree to a certain extent.  There is a spectrum.  Some guys can pick up a a position change in a matter of days while others may take years.  We have run into so many problems with this because Cable assumed he could just move a LT to RT if they fit his measurements.  A player like good we could move around and he is fine.  A player like Miller would have needed a year or so and someone like Parker has not been able to do it in 4 years.  Leatherwood had left side footwork all of last year while on the right side.  We have used a 1st and a 3rd on LTs that have never played RT to be our RTs.  I do not see how this can not be seen as an unacceptable risk.  In 2018 I said we should have had Miller at RT and Parker at LT.  Miller could have easily been a pro bowl level RT after year 1 and we have seen Parker get thrown in at LT after years of being forced to play RT and he performed well.  Cable and Gruden screwed up once again.

I think Leatherwood can be a good RT, most of his shortcomings last year were mental mistakes, not that he lacked the talent or ability to play well. I think it's somewhat difficult to find a RT that has played RT throughout their college career early in the draft because most programs are going to use their top tier OL prospect at LT.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think Leatherwood can be a good RT, most of his shortcomings last year were mental mistakes, not that he lacked the talent or ability to play well. I think it's somewhat difficult to find a RT that has played RT throughout their college career early in the draft because most programs are going to use their top tier OL prospect at LT.

Leatherwood has the talent but it is the mind body connection that could be the problem.  I am not saying to look exclusively for a guy that plays RT but rather a guy that has shown the ability to play the position.  Since Gruden arrived we have had Penn, Parker, Brown, and Leatherwood penciled in as the starter.  3 of those guys had never played RT and the other one was just a mess that wanted to get paid.  How hard is it to find an average RT in FA or draft a tackle that has at least played the position before.  I really do hope the new group can make some easy common sense decisions.  I still question them because they are hyping up the same players that had issues under the old regime and spent our high draft picks and money on splash moves when the trenches needed to be fixed first.  I do not care about Adams if Carr has to get the ball out in under 3 seconds or Crosby and Chandler coming off the edge if teams are just running the ball down our throats up the middle.  Perfect the easy stuff first.  If we had an established vet RT for Leatherwood to work under year one he probably could have fixed a lot of his issues and been ready to take over towards the end of the year.  Instead we had a player with bad technique and no experience combined with a coach that has shown he can not develop young talent.  This is why I have said our improvement is going to come down to the coaches ability to help the young players grow.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Most definitely should be. Although if a big-time interior pass rusher is there I would understand it.

Wouldn't mind a DT either but I hope that we get at least one quality starting OL early in the draft. If Parham pans out that'd give us three foundational OL to build the unit around.