The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This is why doing these "needs" so early is tough. We don't know what Leatherwood will turn into and people seem high on Parham so the jury is still out. They could become Pro Bowlers and then the position of need drops dramatically. 

Yeah I think we only have like 23 players under contract after this year so technically any position could be a need next year in the draft. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yeah like we talked about before- of Parham, Mr. Leatherwood, and maybe even James all progress up to snuff, we could be in surprisingly good shape going forward. Even 2 of them would be a bonus compared to last year. 

Unless James balls out I think we likely replace him next offseason, potentially with Parham moving to OC. We can save like $3.2M by cutting him.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:31 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Top 5 Needs as of today:

WR, S, CB, RB, TE

WR- barring changes or a massive breakout, we're gonna need at least 1. No clue as to who. I'm hardly familiar with this WR class. 

S- Unless Abram or Harmon ball, we need a SS.  Early favorite for me is Jordan Battle, Alabama

CB- always a need. Big Joey Porter Jr., Penn St. fan early. Later pick, maybe Al Blades, Miami, or Clark Phillips, Utah. Seems hard to go wrong with Ute DBs lately. 

RB- No way Jacobs and Drake both stay, and more than likely both are gone. Bolden could stick around or he could be gone as well, given age and such. White should get first dibs on the job, but Brown is a complete wild card. If we go early, obvious choice for me is Zach Charbonnet, UCLA.  A later pick I'd look at is Brandon Thomas, Memphis. 5'11, 200 lbs with 4.39 wheels. Otherwise, maybe a John Emery Jr., LSU? Deep sleeper is Jarek Broussard, Colorado. He's tiny, but seems to fit the profile of small backs the Patriots and McDaniels often kept around and worked with (JJ Taylor, anyone?). 

TE- Doubt Waller and Moreau are both retained. Like WR, I'm not familiar with this class at all though. 

Needs TBD:

DE, LB, OG/RT. 

I want a first round DT

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Needs for me: OL, DT, CB, S, LB, RB (jacobs likely walks)

That being said, I really really want an impact DT (like many of us). 

I'd take him late 1st easily. He's an absolute stud.

Hard to really identify needs right now just because we have so many unknowns and guys on one year deals. But I definitely agree with your list if the year goes how I expect it too. 

Yeah I pray that we finally go DT in the 1st round next year. Bryan Breese or Jalen Carter would be dope.

He's definitely a first round talent, just not sure the new regime values RB's like that. If Jacobs does walk I could see Drake brought back on a decent deal if White flashes.

If I had to guess 

1- DL -  athletic DT to pair with Nichols, and Farrell 

2- G- upgrade the interior of OL. Assuming Leatherwood sticks at RT

3- WR- upgrade WR2

4- RB- could see Jacobs walk. Mid rounds have great value for RBs

I see some of the CBs emerging and getting new deals with the team. I like the talent at LB too.

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2022 at 8:19 AM, Humble_Beast said:

If I had to guess 

1- DL -  athletic DT to pair with Nichols, and Farrell 

2- G- upgrade the interior of OL. Assuming Leatherwood sticks at RT

3- WR- upgrade WR2

4- RB- could see Jacobs walk. Mid rounds have great value for RBs

I see some of the CBs emerging and getting new deals with the team. I like the talent at LB too.

No SS?

after DT, that’s a close 2nd for me. 

Edited by 101Raider

On 7/20/2022 at 1:34 PM, Humble_Beast said:

I'm starting to lose hope in Mullens. I have a feeling he ends up in the dog house and let go next season. I could see CB being a need yet again. Hoping Hobbs makes another jump 

I've been pounding the table for drafting a lockdown #1 CB for so many years I can't remember.  I really believe AJ Terrell was our target but the Falcons snatched him up so we end up with a worthless bum like Arnette because Grudock had no idea what they were doing.

I hope Mullin can start and be a solid 2 and we really don't know what we have because he cant stay on the field.   Sin is a solid 2 but this team is missing a true lockdown #1. Finding one should be a top priority next offseason! 

45 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I've been pounding the table for drafting a lockdown #1 CB for so many years I can't remember.  I really believe AJ Terrell was our target but the Falcons snatched him up so we end up with a worthless bum like Arnette because Grudock had no idea what they were doing.

I hope Mullin can start and be a solid 2 and we really don't know what we have because he cant stay on the field.   Sin is a solid 2 but this team is missing a true lockdown #1. Finding one should be a top priority next offseason! 

If we get good safety and DT play, this will be irrelevant. If you have reliable quality corners, you can always double a teams #1. Your next man up has to be able to take their 1 on 1.

29 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we get good safety and DT play, this will be irrelevant. If you have reliable quality corners, you can always double a teams #1. Your next man up has to be able to take their 1 on 1.

A lockdown #! CB is irrelevant?  Double teaming a WR on every play is a good thing?  

Having a CB who can shutdown a teams #1 WR is an invaluable asset and allows the Safety you want allocated to doubling that WR to roam the field and play the ball.  Having that safety be able to roam free will help in the run game and also put him in a position to play the ball while it's in the air and cause turnovers.  

Having a safety and CB matchup on one player because the CB can't do his job is never a good thing.  The lockdown CB that I am describing (Ramsey, Alexander, White etc.) are invaluable assets versus the pass, run and pass rushing aspects of football both directly and indirectly.  This is exactly why CB's are so highly coveted on draft day. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz