Jaire Extended for 4 Years

Packerraymond

I moved Jaire to covering the slot WR in Madden and I played a cover 2 zone defense every single snap for every single game and I manually dropped Dean Lowry into coverage on every single passing down and Jaire set the single season interception record with 15 interceptions.

Two points:

1. I’m happy Jaire is a Packer for the next five years.

2. Jaire needs more interceptions.

4. I love Jaire.

3. Madden sucks.

Edited by Outpost31

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Jenkins is gonna be a tough one. That is one I'm not convinced we will be able to accommodate with this roster.

You 100% gotta do it. OL performance in FA contracts is the best value among any position. Jenkins can play anywhere on the OL and is a Top 10 OL in more than one position.

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I moved Jaire to covering the slot WR in Madden and I played a cover 2 zone defense every single snap for every single game and I manually dropped Dean Lowry into coverage on every single passing down and Jaire set the single season interception record with 15 interceptions.

Two points:

1. I’m happy Jaire is a Packer for the next five years.

2. Jaire needs more interceptions.

4. I love Jaire.

3. Madden sucks.

But if QBs don’t throw at him how can he change this? Like in the NFC championship he got 2… because Brady was willing to throw up lame ducks to him.

If he isn’t targeted he can’t get INTs unless he is allowed to freelance… 

I know you’re referencing Madden and this is likely a tongue and cheek post… but I will make it a serious question. Is there a way from Barry to manufacture INTs for Alexander?

15 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The whole principle of the MLF offense is to generate ambiguity over whether or not you are running or passing out of a given set, motion, or even initial look once the ball is snapped. This is not "pass to set up the run" or "run to set up the pass" thing this is a "we're going to be able to run when we need to and pass when we need to" thing.

And you have to guess which kind of play we are going to run.

13 hours ago, Green19 said:

Also how dumb of Adams… given how dysfunctional the Raiders are (given all the reporting about them lately with their money issue).

I wonder if he will get all his money… or if he will have issues getting the money.

But we most likely wouldn't have been able to secure these defensive players had we paid Adams what he wanted.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The whole principle of the MLF offense is to generate ambiguity over whether or not you are running or passing out of a given set, motion, or even initial look once the ball is snapped. This is not "pass to set up the run" or "run to set up the pass" thing this is a "we're going to be able to run when we need to and pass when we need to" thing.

Agree with the fundamental "ambiguity" intent.  The principle includes using personnel so that:

1. you can potentially run or pass using any personnel group; 
  2. The defense doesn't know which you'll do; so they can't sell out towards either one, without getting exposed to the other.   

I think to large extent that's a lot of theory and philosophy; but I'm not sure the reality plays out quite so beautifully?  I don't think it follows that the Packers in reality can do whatever they want, **effectively**, any time they want.  We know that's not true based on seeing the offense struggle against good defenses.  (And I don't think that's all because Rodgers stinks or refuses to run the philosophy.). 

By having the run/pass ambiguity, the idea is that the defense can't be selling out on either one without exposing themselves to the other.  So the goal is to attack the exposure.  A defense can still prioritize run or pass on a given play, and accept whatever exposure risk results. 

• Rodgers tries to diagnose the exposure, that's why he runs the play clock down.  Sometimes he succeeds, sometime not.  
  • Often the Packer talent hasn't been able to victimize exposure.  Examples:
  • Defense prioritizes Adams.  Cobb/Lazard/Lewis/Dafney/Davis/EQ didn't necessarily make them pay very severely?
  • Defense compresses, knowing that most passes are very short, and figuring that the compressed defense is good versus both run and short stuff.  Rodgers and the targets didn't necessarily make them pay with successful deep balls?
  • Defense prioritizes pass.  But the Nijman-Runyan-Patrick-Newman-Kelly line didn't necessarily punish them with overwhelming run-blocking?

I do think that pass-sets-up-run is really true, though.  It goes both ways: a defense prioritizes and uses personnel groups that are variably more suited to pass or run.  The more they fear the pass, the less they use their run-priority personnel.  And vice versa.  The key is to punish them for whatever they are less well-suited to contain.  Last year's team faced a lot of defenses that they weren't able to punish.  Better line play this year, *IF* it happens, could help a lot?  

15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Don't let yourself fall into the trap. Lacy and Hayward. That remains the list of quality players we let leave before signing contract #2. Both of those two struggled with injuries.

We don't let quality players leave in their prime.

Top of my head.  Blake Martinez.  He didn't get a second deal.  And he was good here.  Also, way overpriced as a free agent.

Micah Hyde.  He didn't get a second deal and that was a mistake.

And you are showing a lot of disrespect to The Kyler Fackrell.  LOL.

8 hours ago, Green19 said:

But if QBs don’t throw at him how can he change this? Like in the NFC championship he got 2… because Brady was willing to throw up lame ducks to him.

If he isn’t targeted he can’t get INTs unless he is allowed to freelance… 

I know you’re referencing Madden and this is likely a tongue and cheek post… but I will make it a serious question. Is there a way from Barry to manufacture INTs for Alexander?

I could be wrong about this, but JA plays primarily a zone on the defenses left side.  Offenses right side.  We haven't yet moved him around all that much.

I see it like this.  JA is the left zone corner.  RD is the right zone corner.  Stokes is the man up guy who goes everywhere.  And that is probably wise given his size and speed.

Maybe we mix it up some, but that's two great zone corners out there limiting what the offense can do.

I don't care much about INT's.  I do care about making QB's throw passes with lower completion frequency.  And I care about taking away the quick and easy looks so our rush can get home.

With our two safeties and presumably two good ILB's, I think we are pretty set.  Lots of games can be played with those athletes. 

Spotrac now lists Jaire contract details.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/jaire-alexander-25113/contracts/

• It really was a 4-year "extension".  
  • So with the existing 1-year-of-control that they already had, plus the 4-year extension, it's now a true 5-year agreement.
  • 2026 is NOT a void year; it's a regular contract year with a $25.5 cap hit and $6 dead cap.
  • The composite 5-years sums to ~$97/5:  basically the sum of the $14/1 and $84/4 = $98/5.  
  • Cap hits:  7-20-22-23.5-25.5

7 minutes ago, craig said:

Spotrac now lists Jaire contract details.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/jaire-alexander-25113/contracts/

• It really was a 4-year "extension".  
  • So with the existing 1-year-of-control that they already had, plus the 4-year extension, it's now a true 5-year agreement.
  • 2026 is NOT a void year; it's a regular contract year with a $25.5 cap hit and $6 dead cap.
  • The composite 5-years sums to ~$97/5:  basically the sum of the $14/1 and $84/4 = $98/5.  
  • Cap hits:  7-20-22-23.5-25.5

Assuming health, they signed Jaire to keep him for the full 5 years. He should see every year and every dime of that deal. 

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

...I see it like this.  JA is the left zone corner.  RD is the right zone corner.  Stokes is the man up guy who goes everywhere.  And that is probably wise given his size and speed....

I got the impression that Rasul sometimes played inside, rather than all boundary?  Who knows.  But part of me wonders whether Stokes and Jaire will just play the boundaries; with their speed who's going to run away from either one?   And Rasul, who's not that fast and is more physical, will be used inside?  

I think Jerry Gray is often a big soft-cushion coach.  So I think by late season, he had Stokes playing it more like King: giving the big cushion.  But *IF* the Packers ever wanted to be aggressive (I doubt Gray or MLF are oriented that way, though), I'd think both Stokes and Jaire could allow zero cushion, but could still mirror and run with anybody. 

Will be interesting to see how the guys get used.  

1 minute ago, craig said:

I got the impression that Rasul sometimes played inside, rather than all boundary?  Who knows.  But part of me wonders whether Stokes and Jaire will just play the boundaries; with their speed who's going to run away from either one?   And Rasul, who's not that fast and is more physical, will be used inside?  

I think Jerry Gray is often a big soft-cushion coach.  So I think by late season, he had Stokes playing it more like King: giving the big cushion.  But *IF* the Packers ever wanted to be aggressive (I doubt Gray or MLF are oriented that way, though), I'd think both Stokes and Jaire could allow zero cushion, but could still mirror and run with anybody. 

Will be interesting to see how the guys get used.  

I feel like putting RD in the slot exposes him to his weaknesses.  Which is quick agility and quick speed.  He's the #1 guy to give a cushion, read the routes and Qb's eyes, then break on a ball.  It is what he did a great job at last year.

I'd rather have Stokes being our slot or man cover guy.  He has it all athletically.  JA does too, but he's smaller in size and flat out a beast in zone with those instincts.

Overall?  It's a good problem to have, determining how to best play your top 3 corners.