2022 Around league

dll2000

15 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Their defense is pretty atrocious still. McDaniels is 5-20 in his last 25 games, if I read that stat correctly

Mcdaniels is a lost dog without Belichick holding his leash.  I remember so many people here wanting him as HC.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

Daboll was my guy, but Mike McDaniel in Miami is really surprising me so far. 

I as well wanted Daboll the most but I must admit McDaniels was also high on my list. To be honest I didn't see them challenging for that division this year. Brutal start for them.. though it's still early.

In my eyes first year head coaches should most often get a pass unless there is a valid reason to fire them that doesn't have to do with just wins and losses

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Mcdaniels is a lost dog without Belichick holding his leash.  I remember so many people here wanting him as HC.

McDaniels is garbage as a HC. Everyone here who believes otherwise--who REALLY wanted him to be the Bears HC, which is the bulk of the members here--please convince me of how utterly wrong I am. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

McDaniels is garbage as a HC. Everyone here who believes otherwise--who REALLY wanted him to be the Bears HC, which is the bulk of the members here--please convince me of how utterly wrong I am. 

He comes off as one of those guys with the most punchable kind of characteristics.  He has an ego bigger than the players themselves and that's extremely hard to do in this league, but he knows there's a certain line he can't cross with a no-nonsense coach like Belichick.

Belichick has a very meticulous set standard within his system and coaching philosophy and he expects every coach to build around those same points. That's what has made his coaches look so great over the years.

That said, I would take McD as a OC if we had a stern enough HC to keep him under wraps cause he does have some good qualities in his play calling.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

He comes off as one of those guys with the most punchable kind of characteristics.  He has an ego bigger than the players themselves and that's extremely hard to do in this league, but he knows there's a certain line he can't cross with a no-nonsense coach like Belichick.

Belichick has a very meticulous set standard within his system and coaching philosophy and he expects every coach to build around those same points. That's what has made his coaches look so great over the years.

That said, I would take McD as a OC if we had a stern enough HC to keep him under wraps cause he does have some good qualities in his play calling.

Spot on. 

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I guess for me it’s the same as anyone who is battering our current set up…it’s 3 games…snap judgement to say he won’t have success there long term but they are going to need time…also think it is different than his Denver run where your not hearing a ton of people coming out and hammering him for his leadership…obviously no one will be happy to be 0-3 but if he was 1-2 would people be so down on them? Probably not…losing the way they did to AZ obviously was poor but we saw two other teams have the exact same thing happen to them that weekend…again first year HC…got to let the season play out.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I guess for me it’s the same as anyone who is battering our current set up…it’s 3 games…snap judgement to say he won’t have success there long term but they are going to need time…also think it is different than his Denver run where your not hearing a ton of people coming out and hammering him for his leadership…obviously no one will be happy to be 0-3 but if he was 1-2 would people be so down on them? Probably not…losing the way they did to AZ obviously was poor but we saw two other teams have the exact same thing happen to them that weekend…again first year HC…got to let the season play out.

I agree, I kind of grade by quarter-season increments. This quarter has sucked for him no doubt though. 

I do get a kick out of the fact the ppg for and against are almost identical to last season - when they won 10 games - to now when they are winless. All this while a Russell Wilson-led Broncos are 2-1 scoring only 14ppg. Granted DEN's defense is killing it but still. 

Atm we have scored more points than GB, DEN, SF, DAL, TB and TEN. All while Fields has had bottom-Tebow level production. The NFL is freaking weird. 😆 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 8:07 PM, Heinz D. said:

I will take a shot.

I would say it's too early to say for sure.  But it's certainly not looking good.

They lost all 3 games by 13 combined points.  They dominated Cardinals and blew second half being too conservative (which is bad coaching I think - but most coaches do it - Fangio who is a good coach always does it).  

Other two teams they played are good teams.  Chargers at full strength in game 1 was a tough draw.  Much weaker now.  

Most first year coaches get a year to acclimate and I don't think he has final say on acquisitions.  But ones with big reputations usually don't for whatever reason.   

This was a bad team last year.  Almost all of their early picks of last 4 years or so are not working out or off team for various reasons.  One is on our team.   That decimated their talent base and he plays in one of toughest divisions in football at moment.   

They made a big FA acquisition were Adams and Chandler Jones.   Jones is washed and doing nothing.   Carr has not improved with new coaches.

That being said many people really root for this guy to fail.    So everyone talks about him negatively.    Media hates him.  Denver fans hate him.   Indy fans hate him.   People who hate Patriots hate him.   Other people feed off that energy.

Look at Urban Meyer and Saban and Lou Holtz.  Legendary coaches at college level at multiple stops - but people said they were absolute morons in pros.  I think they all did make a ton of mistakes in pros, but they could have adjusted without constant criticism.   

I think is hard to operate in an environment where you are getting constant criticism and negative press.   It effects everything around you.   

I think there is no question he knows football, question is can he lead and administrate and over come the massive negative press he is getting.

Most people fail and the negative momentum has started in earnest.   So odds aren't good he will recover.  A new QB isn't coming in door anytime soon.    We will see.

• Like 1

To say Fangio is a bad coach too I think is unfair, but that is perception of him now.

I think situation and start matters a lot.   My point with big reputation college coaches was just that people seem to want them to fail in pros and will go negative really fast.

McDaniels is in that same boat.

NFL totally botched obvious Tua concussion then he got the dreaded quick 2nd concussion which is worst case scenario.

There is a large possible law suit there.   They clearly violated their own protocols.   

The back injury only excuse is very weak.  

• Like 1