2022 Around league

dll2000

Detroit has added a ton of talent last two years and has two number 1 choices this year.  

They underachieved this past year.  People saw their start to season and said same Ol Lions.  

If they can find better QB play they may be the team that takes North and doesn’t give it back for a bit.  

I want to trade with them if they offer big, but part of me hopes they stick with Goff who doesn’t scare me.  

Although any NFL level QB can play well if team around him is stacked enough.  

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

At least Duke Shelley finally vindicated my draft opinion of him on the Vikings this year.  

I was disappointed he didn’t play better for Bears.   

Funny that Pace didn’t go after him for Falcons. 

I remember seeing Shelley say the Bears misused him by only trying him in the slot. He’s been a boundary corner for MIN and was really effective. Along those same lines, I liked what I saw from Gordon when he was on the boundary this year too. I get the value of the slot in Flus’ scheme, but just because Gordon can play there doesn’t necessarily mean he’s not potentially better outside. 

• Like 2

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

I remember seeing Shelley say the Bears misused him by only trying him in the slot. He’s been a boundary corner for MIN and was really effective. Along those same lines, I liked what I saw from Gordon when he was on the boundary this year too. I get the value of the slot in Flus’ scheme, but just because Gordon can play there doesn’t necessarily mean he’s not potentially better outside. 

Making him rotate nickel to slot in his rookie year was a mistake. That is too hard.  

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Shelley body makes you think he is natural nickel.  But not everyone fits like that.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Shelley body makes you think he is natural nickel.  But not everyone fits like that.  

Agreed, and just because Gordon has the quickness to play nickel shouldn’t devalue that same skill set on the outside. Especially because he has boundary corner size. 

26 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Detroit has added a ton of talent last two years and has two number 1 choices this year.  

They underachieved this past year.  People saw their start to season and said same Ol Lions.  

If they can find better QB play they may be the team that takes North and doesn’t give it back for a bit.  

I want to trade with them if they offer big, but part of me hopes they stick with Goff who doesn’t scare me.  

Although any NFL level QB can play well if team around him is stacked enough.  

You watched the Lions all year and decided it was Goff who was the problem? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

You watched the Lions all year and decided it was Goff who was the problem? 

I have watched Goff for years.  

Put a lot of guys on 2022 Lions and they will do what Goff did or better.  He had a lot of weapons and a solid OL. 

He is a middling QB.   They will eventually figure out what Rams already figured out. 

I believe the plan in Detroit with Stafford trade was to use Goff as a bridge QB in a rebuild.   I think they may have drafted a rookie last year, but for the dearth of quality QBs in 2022 draft.

Now that they added a lot of talent and Goff looked good in 2022 they may decide to keep building around Goff.  I think that would be a mistake for them.  

As a division rival I hope they do it.

5 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

was just about to say that. Goff had a great year

He did have a good year.   I believe that was more about his team than him.

Jalen Hurts looked like best QB in league this year.   He was good too, not saying he wasn't.  

Tua looked amazing this year.  

Brock Purdy is statistically playing like best QB in league right now with a healthy 49ers team. 

None of those guys are as close to as good as Mahomes.   

Team matters. 

Though it could be an interesting strategy to try.   I think you still want best QB you can find as it is easier to keep a stud QB around than to maintain stacked rosters. 

Edited by dll2000
though not thought