2022 Around league

dll2000

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I believe the plan in Detroit with Stafford trade was to use Goff as a bridge QB in a rebuild.   I think they may have drafted a rookie last year, but for the dearth of quality QBs in 2022 draft.

Now that they added a lot of talent and Goff looked good in 2022 they may decide to keep building around Goff.  I think that would be a mistake for them.  

As a division rival I hope they do it.

I think your point doesn’t acknowledge the shift into the nfl being an instant gratification league. Yeah, maybe this could’ve happened back when coaches were allowed to win 5 games a year for 2 decades in the hope they’d figure it out but the fact of the matter is if the lions regress in record next year after sniffing the playoffs this year, his time may be up. You don’t take risks replacing an established acceptable starter at qb and restarting. Also can’t afford to use a high draft pick on offense when the defense is largely the reason they started as poorly as they did. Can start talking about a rebuild/qb restart once he proves to Detroit his vision will benefit them the most

33 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I think your point doesn’t acknowledge the shift into the nfl being an instant gratification league. Yeah, maybe this could’ve happened back when coaches were allowed to win 5 games a year for 2 decades in the hope they’d figure it out but the fact of the matter is if the lions regress in record next year after sniffing the playoffs this year, his time may be up. You don’t take risks replacing an established acceptable starter at qb and restarting. Also can’t afford to use a high draft pick on offense when the defense is largely the reason they started as poorly as they did. Can start talking about a rebuild/qb restart once he proves to Detroit his vision will benefit them the most

GM Holmes just started in 2021.   He has time to do his plan.   I think the plan was to build team first then go rookie rather putting a rookie on a bad team like most teams do.  

They accomplished that.  

I think the plan wasn't Goff (since Stafford trade), but he was to be bridge.  But it could be new plan now if they are sold on Goff going forward.   I wouldn't be.   

If Lions draft Young or Stroud I don't think they suck in 2023 because there is a lot of talent around him, but even if they have a similar record or a little worse to this year I don't think anyone will panic because it was QBs first year.

They may draft Young or Stroud and still keep Goff so rookie can "sit and learn" (I never like doing that) but a lot of people like that strategy. 

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I think the plan wasn't Goff (since Stafford trade), but he was to be bridge.  But it could be new plan now if they are sold on Goff going forward.   I wouldn't be

We’re on the same page there. Goff was a part of the deal to fill a temporary gap/he had no further value staying in LAR. But I think they’re pretty happy with what they’ve gotten from him and won’t be in a rush to replace him until he shows he’s the reason they’re losing. If the lions don’t go defense in the first, it’ll be a colossal F for their franchise imo. 

3 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

We’re on the same page there. Goff was a part of the deal to fill a temporary gap/he had no further value staying in LAR. But I think they’re pretty happy with what they’ve gotten from him and won’t be in a rush to replace him until he shows he’s the reason they’re losing. If the lions don’t go defense in the first, it’ll be a colossal F for their franchise imo. 

If they dump Goff they have 38.5 mil plus in cap space for 2023 without even making any other moves to free space.  

You can sign some players in FA.  They have 2 one's and 2 two's.   With that ammo they can trade with Bears and maintain a full slate of 2023 picks.   They can still find defense in draft.  

Or they want the can sit at 6 and probably get 3rd QB in draft if they like him and keep all their picks and load up.  

Or keep Goff, without the extra space and load up in draft.

Good for Bears draft trade value(s) that Brady’s desirability is looking down arrow.  

Feel bad his marriage came apart at same time he is finally hitting professional athlete wall.   Tough year.  

Even people who seemingly have perfect life’s from outside  - don’t.