• Dolphins
    • Eagles
    • Packers
    • Saints
    • Vikings
    • None - it's all justified
    • Other

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

All I'm going to say is, Chiefs beat writers really really like retweeting pro-Charger predictions every offseason, its become an annual meme, and any narrative you can spin about how this year is different for the Chargers, I can promise you I've heard a version of it for like a decade. I'm physically incapable of believing it until I see it. Every year, there are this is the year the Chargers step up, most talented roster in the AFC West, will finally pass Peyton's Broncos/Mahomes's Chiefs, great sleeper superbowl pick, takes. I have literally seen this every season since we got Alex Smith. Someone in like April starts floating the Chargers as a good sleeper pick to win the West and go on a run because of that talented roster on paper. And every year....it's just the same. Like, I get Bearerofnews saying 4 years ago doesn't matter, but a 4 year (probably longer if I were to look it up) trend does matter.

I mean I think fans often fail to realize that NFL rosters are 53 players. You can probably find preseason hype for a lot of teams that ended up being bad. 

The Chargers have always had a solid 5-6 players, but the actual rosters had holes everywhere. The Chargers perform pretty in line with what Vegas has their O/U preseason. 

I don’t really have any problem if people say this team needs to prove it first. But this roster is way more complete than anything the Chargers have had since 2006-2007.

Edited by Bolts223

5 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Those are just people's opinion, no different than my opinion. Here's another one that has them 7th:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33899053/nfl-power-rankings-2022-offseason-1-32-poll-plus-players-benefited-most-draft-trades

I have them at 8th optimistically. so not that far off. Here's one that has them at 6th:

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/nfl-power-rankings-2022-chiefs-packers-patriots/ygtdit6py824cfud98myytcw

It really isn't all that crazy to think the Ravens, Bengals or Browns have a better roster.

Agree to disagree.  You are conflating best teams with rosters. Chargers as 8th best team isnt crazy.

8th best roster, kinda is. But it is what it is. 

20 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

That’s not really true though. 

Last year (and basically every season the past decade)  we went in the season knowing that we were going to have some pretty obvious bad players in starting positions, particularly on defense. And we had next to no depth at any position. 

That’s not the case this year. 

I just did some quick research involving preseason odds and such to argue this but it seems the facts for my case are currently not existing atm so therefore I don't really care about the accuracy, I'm still pushing the narrative.

OVERHYPED.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean I think fans often fail to realize that NFL rosters are 53 players. You can probably find preseason hype for a lot of teams that ended up being bad. 

The Chargers have always had a solid 5-6 players, but the actual rosters had holes everywhere. The Chargers perform pretty in line with what Vegas has their O/U preseason. 

I don’t really have any problem if people say this team needs to prove it first. But this roster is way more complete than anything the Chargers have had since 2006-2007.

You are not wrong, Vegas will not reflect what I'm saying here. Given my disinterest in digging up past years of tweets and predictions, all I have is my word here. But to be clear, they were never a safe or consensus pick. Vegas would've never had them high because it wasn't like the world was unanimous on Charger success. Vegas is based on averages, so you aren't going to see 11 wins there or anything. My point is more that they've always been a trendy pick. They've always been that talented team that will step up. So when you're saying, no, this time is different, this time they're really talented and they really will step up, it just feels like deja vu.

And hell, I bought in a bit last year. I think incredibly highly of Herbert. Thought that might finally be the difference. And then we got the Raiders in the postseason instead. LAC lost to the Texans at in December. Somehow.

I won't be surprised if LAC goes 12-5 this year. They seem to have the pieces to do so. I'd be equally unsurprised by 7 to 9 wins and a playoff miss, because it just seems on brand. And I'm not trying to be rude or anything here. It's just what I've watched happen.

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

You are not wrong, Vegas will not reflect what I'm saying here. Given my disinterest in digging up past years of tweets and predictions, all I have is my word here. But to be clear, they were never a safe or consensus pick. Vegas would've never had them high because it wasn't like the world was unanimous on Charger success. Vegas is based on averages, so you aren't going to see 11 wins there or anything. My point is more that they've always been a trendy pick. They've always been that talented team that will step up. So when you're saying, no, this time is different, this time they're really talented and they really will step up, it just feels like deja vu.

And hell, I bought in a bit last year. I think incredibly highly of Herbert. Thought that might finally be the difference. And then we got the Raiders in the postseason instead. LAC lost to the Texans at in December. Somehow.

I won't be surprised if LAC goes 12-5 this year. They seem to have the pieces to do so. I'd be equally unsurprised by 7 to 9 wins and a playoff miss, because it just seems on brand. And I'm not trying to be rude or anything here. It's just what I've watched happen.

No real disagreements here.

56 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I think the hype last year came after we beat you week 3 in KC and started 4-1, not necessarily pre-season. (Our defense somehow was decent to start the year before it showed it’s true colors)

And FWIW, this team had a legitimate shot at the 1-seed up until our Week 15 loss to you. Defense was just godawful down the stretch once teams realized you could run the ball and get a guaranteed 5 yards every time. (And also just throw at whoever Campbell or Chris Harris Jr was covering) AFC was also just really weird in general last year. We missed the playoffs and yet we were only 3 games worse than the 1-seed Titans. (And one game worse than the Bengals who went on to win the AFC)

I have no problem if people wanna say KC should be the favorite for the division, but the Chargers are the only team in the division that’s demonstrated any ability to consistently play you close and win against you. So if anyone is going to take you down this year, I’d say we’re by far the best bet to do so. 

Edited by Bolts223

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

You'll be weak at ST Coordinator as always, idgaf what he did in Minny.

Our ST actually got a lot better as the year went on last year. I have fairly decent hopes that it'll at least be average this year. (I actually feel like we have a solid kicker, so that's a start)

I think Staley has a lot to prove (Because for an alleged defensive guru there's no excuse for our defense being as godawful as it was last year. But for now I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt just because he and Gus run entirely different schemes and we had a lot of really bad players starting on the defense. For reference - our CB #1 last year is likely going to be our CB #4 this year.)

But one thing he has demonstrated so far is that he can identify and fix problems. In 2020 we had one of the worst O-lines in the league. Staley/Telesco really invested in it last offseason with the additions of Feiler/Linsley in FA and then Slater in the draft. It ended up being a top 10 o-line.

After 10 games last year I'm pretty sure our ST was on track to be one of the worst of all time by DVOA. Staley went out and got Andre Roberts, Dustin Hopkins and changed some other things up and we actually finished something like 26th in DVOA on ST. (Which probably means it played like an average ST unit in the second half)

This offseason we've mostly gone all in on fixing the defense. So I have fairly high hopes that it will be improved. The real question is by how much.

Edited by Bolts223

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’d swap Philly and San Fran with Cleveland and Denver.

Why are the chiefs ahead of the rams?

Why is anyone ahead of the Rams? lol

Swap Bills and Rams
Swap Chargers and Bucs

imo

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 9:38 PM, Bolts223 said:
  • Ravens were 11-5 and a wild card in 2020. They put up 3 points against a Bills team who was blown out by KC the next week. The 1-seed year was 2019. But if we're going back that far I guess I should bring up the Chargers were 12-4 in 2018. I don't really see 2018 or 2019 as relevant anymore.
  • Yeah I disagree with that the Ravens roster is better. Herbert is a much better passer than Lamar, our skill players are better and we're just as strong in the trenches with D-line and O-line additions. The only thing they really have over us is a much better Tight End in Mark Andrews and a better secondary.

I don't disagree with the Bucs, Rams, Chiefs, Bills, Packers. I might even throw the Bengals in there as well.

Ravens & 49ers I think are debatable. I'd put us around the same as the niners and slightly ahead of the Ravens.

How is bringing up the Ravens scoring 3 points in the 2020 divisional round in Buffalo relevant when comparing who's a better team currently? The Chargers didn't even make the playoffs that year. Nor did they the previous year. Or the year after that. 

Last year when the Ravens were only missing about half their team on IR and not the 90% they would be later in the season they absolutely smacked the Chargers 34-6 in route to being the #1 seed in the AFC before Lamar went out with injury week 12. If the Chargers have a better roster they certainly didn't show it last year when both teams had their actual starters playing games for them. And in my opinion the Ravens had just as good of an offseason as LA, if not better. 

5 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

The Rams didn't get better and other teams at the top did. As a Rams fan, no problem seeing some teams ahead. 

Not sure I agree the Chiefs got better than the Rams, the Chargers covered that much ground, or even that the Bills are the best team in football - but that's okay.

My point is just that if we are asking why the Chiefs are ranked over the Rams, then we can make the same argument for everyone else above them.

These are just subjective dart throws at a wall, like everyone's offseason rankings.