Steelers to promote Omar Khan to General Manager

TheRealMcCoy

And, they’re taking Andy Weidl from the Eagles who was the top guy under Howie Roseman. Eagles have now lost 4 of their front office members to Assistant General Manager jobs which is just insane. I’m a little salty, but happy for all the ones who got promotions. Kinda cool Weidl gets to go back home. Believe he started his career in Pittsburgh and then went to the Ravens and learned under Ozzie before coming to the Eagles under Howie. 

I thought Brandon Hunt might get the job over Omar Khan, but I figured Pittsburgh would keep it in house cause that’s usually how they do things. Hopefully we now hire Brandon Hunt away from them to make up for the top spot that Weidl is now vacating.

6 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

after all that, they're going with the in house option

?

It’s the Steelers lol. Like I said in the OP that is what they do, but it is funny they had such an extended search and then go with one of the options we probably figured they would. They picked the cap/contracts guy to go along with the more football guy they are taking from the Eagles in Weidl. It’s basically like the Eagle set up has been with Howie Roseman (smart cap guy) and great football minds underneath him.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

12 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Let's see if any of those work out.

I mean we brought Joe Douglas as second in command and won a SB 2 years later and he just had a great offseason. Andrew Berry has been great for Cleveland although I don’t think we can take credit for him as he was only here for a year when he came here from Cleveland then went right back the next year as GM.

But, yeah as far as the others it’s a wait and see. Still pretty cool we got 3 minorities (Weidl being the only exception) as second in command of 3 different organizations in one offseason.

It was more me going off Ari saying they are a front office factory and in turn making fun of Howie for the QB factory comment he made a couple years ago after we drafted Jalen Hurts.

It was painfully obvious they were staying in house for the top job when they let Colbert stay on through the draft and take a QB in R1. This is the Steelers, they do what they do.

Team badly needed new blood and voices. So, they at least added an outsider. But I don't see the need for giving the top position to Khan. What he does from a cap perspective isn't anything special. It's tough because we as fans don't really know what decisions or input these guys have behind closed doors, but I'd rather have the top guy be a strong football guy...

But, who really cares. It's Tomlin's team. They aren't going anywhere.

• Like 1

I wanted Khan as the Texans GM following Bill O’Brien/Jack Easterby. Korn Ferry identify him as the best possible candidate for a GM role in that 2020 cycle and the Texans were even negotiating with Khan for the job - that is until Easterby went and did whatever he did to bring in Nick Caserio.

Good to see Khan get the promotion, he should be a GM by now.

I honestly don't mind them going in house. Khan was in conversation for the Falcons role. Brandon Hunt there was considered as well. Either way, they were gonna go with a minority in-house candidate. Outside candidates had no real shot.

13 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

after all that, they're going with the in house option

?

It wouldve been far dumber to bring someone from the outside in AT THIS POINT, since an outsider wouldve came in this late to a team he had no say at all in how the offseason went and then asked to adapt to the culture and the players that were drafted for him.    Khan and Brandon Hunt at least know this team and have worked with Colbert for years.

That being said,I am not a fan.   This team is in desperate need of a major change in culture and team philosophy.    This just feels like more of the same.    It makes sense given how we approached it....but this couldve and should have been coordinated much better.    Seems like were not at all prepared to lose Colbert.    It was like a college student doing a crash study session the night before the final exam.   

On 5/24/2022 at 9:49 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

How you feeling Steelers fans?

The only question mark I have is his draft knowledge.  Idk is exertise level there. Beyond that, I like the hire tbh. I do not think the huge list of candidates was for show. I think it is just the way this organization does business.  They're thorough. I'm on board with it for better or worse.

• Like 1