Who will be the surprise QB of 2022?

brownie man

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

There are a number of receivers that have played well with mediocre QB play though. And how are you so confident that Hackett is a massive upgrade or some great offensive mind? He didn't call plays for the Packers and in his other stops his offenses have been among the worst in the league.

Baker Mayfield is likely headed to the Panthers. 

Rodgers had two of the best QB seasons of ALL time under Hackett, and a tremendous offense. You’re overrating the play-calling perspective. He will be installing the same scheme in Denver. He is also very good with QB’s. Two Rodger MVP years and took Blake Bortles to an AFC Championship. He made Bortles look like a Top 20ish QB, when he’s not even a Top 100 QB. 

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Rodgers had two of the best QB seasons of ALL time under Hackett, and a tremendous offense. You’re overrating the play-calling perspective. He will be installing the same scheme in Denver. He is also very good with QB’s. Two Rodger MVP years and took Blake Bortles to an AFC Championship. He made Bortles look like a Top 20ish QB, when he’s not even a Top 100 QB. 

I'd give Matt LaFleur the guy calling the plays and Rodgers credit for ARods success more than I'd say it was because of Hackett. Do you think that McDaniel deserves credit for the 49ers offensive success or whoever the Rams OC is should be viewed as a future high level head coach?

He took Bortles to an AFC championship game, sure. But he had average production (3,600 yards/21 TD/13 INT). They were good because their defense was 2nd in both ypg/ppg allowed and 1st in takeaways and their running game was 1st in yards and 2nd in TDs. Bortles production was identical in year 1/2 under Hackett, their team was just way better overall, and then he fell off a cliff in year 3. 

Are we pretending like the coaches are the reason Rodgers had two recent MVP seasons?

He was an all time great playing in his 16th and 17th years in the league.

Hell, he had comparable seasons in 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2016 which is 4 out of the 9 fully healthy seasons (44%) prior to Hackett.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Do you think that McDaniel deserves credit for the 49ers offensive success or whoever the Rams OC is should be viewed as a future high level head coach?

Yes… the Run Game in SF, especially the Deebo stuff, was mostly Mike McDaniel. I expect the Dolphins and Vikings to have great offenses this year, especially Minnesota. Look for Cousins to finish as a Top 10 QB and Jefferson as WR1. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yes… the Run Game in SF, especially the Deebo stuff, was mostly Mike McDaniel. I expect the Dolphins and Vikings to have great offenses this year, especially Minnesota. Look for Cousins to finish as a Top 10 QB and Jefferson as WR1. 

Shanahan has had elite run games with different teams and McDaniel was actually the brains behind the operation? Why didn't the Jets OC that left their staff have any success last year without him?

Tua has to be better than he has been for the Dolphins offense to be good. The Vikings offense has been good for a while but Thielen looks like he's slowly declining and they don't really have a ton outside of him and Jefferson in the passing game.

5 hours ago, Soggust said:

Are we pretending like the coaches are the reason Rodgers had two recent MVP seasons?

Hell, he had comparable seasons in 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2016 which is 4 out of the 9 fully healthy seasons (44%) prior to Hackett.

I think it was Hackett tbh, the dude that didn't even call plays and had two years with Blake Bortles where he didn't look completely terrible, lol.

On 6/14/2022 at 9:22 PM, BayRaider said:

As for the Broncos TE, I think Albert O is total trash (sorry Bronco fans, I’ve praised you to this point) and will lose his starting job to Greg Dulcich. Look out for Dulcich to also have the best Rookie TE year with Wilson at the helm. 

i feel the same way about the bolded

i think Dulcich is going to pop off with Russ

he reminds me of a baby Kelce

one of my draft crushes

I think Fields shows out well enough to look like an average starter, which is actually damn impressive considering how poor the talent is around him.

Tru has a chance to surprise some people. Nagy was holding him back by being incompetent and unable to adapt. He'll never be prime Big Ben but I think he has a chance to be a solid player. Think along the lines of Dalton or Flacco for his top play. Not someone your team feels like is a top player but good enough to garner a lot of wins if the team is talented around them.

I think Lawrence gets a big boost this year. Meyer is gone, they went and paid for players, etc. He has talent for sure and now has a cast around him, maybe the coaching makes a big change and helps him.

On 6/14/2022 at 8:58 PM, Soggust said:

I would like to think his late career renaissance is because he finally accepted he isn't as mobile as he used to be but we have had a very good team around him the last few years. I still expect him to play well but I would be suprised if he wins his 3rd straight MVP.

On 6/14/2022 at 10:04 PM, BayRaider said:

Yes… the Run Game in SF, especially the Deebo stuff, was mostly Mike McDaniel. 

How do you know this with that much certainty?

Not even saying you’re necessarily wrong. Just seems like a hard thing for anyone to really have an opinion on.

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I think Fields shows out well enough to look like an average starter, which is actually damn impressive considering how poor the talent is around him.

Tru has a chance to surprise some people. Nagy was holding him back by being incompetent and unable to adapt. He'll never be prime Big Ben but I think he has a chance to be a solid player. Think along the lines of Dalton or Flacco for his top play. Not someone your team feels like is a top player but good enough to garner a lot of wins if the team is talented around them.

I think Lawrence gets a big boost this year. Meyer is gone, they went and paid for players, etc. He has talent for sure and now has a cast around him, maybe the coaching makes a big change and helps him.

If Fields looks like an average starter that'll be a huge testament to him because the Bears really haven't done much to help him. 

I agree that Trubisky has a chance to be solid, the Steelers have a lot of good pieces around him. 

And I'm optimistic about Lawrence as well, Pederson helped Wentz make a big leap in year two with the Eagles.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If Fields looks like an average starter that'll be a huge testament to him because the Bears really haven't done much to help him. 

I agree that Trubisky has a chance to be solid, the Steelers have a lot of good pieces around him. 

And I'm optimistic about Lawrence as well, Pederson helped Wentz make a big leap in year two with the Eagles.

Yeah, I'm far from impressed with the team right now but you can see a plan moving forward (at this point at least). Poles is choosing to take the lumps with dead cap this year rather than stagger it out over the next 3 years so i can get behind that. Should have over $100 mil in next year IIRC so that's a LOT of room to mold the team with "his" guys if he wants. I would have been more offense-centric with my moves for sure though, even my real time draft was built around Fields.

Hopefully Getsy shows something with being able to scheme around Fields' athleticism. One of the posters in the Bears forum posted a link that said Nagy only called 19 rollouts for Fields, which is absurdly stupid. But Nagy took those calls away from Tru after his first year too and tried to force him to be a pocket passer even with how raw Tru was so it wasn't something new in Bears QB Purgatory. 

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yeah, I'm far from impressed with the team right now but you can see a plan moving forward (at this point at least). Poles is choosing to take the lumps with dead cap this year rather than stagger it out over the next 3 years so i can get behind that. Should have over $100 mil in next year IIRC so that's a LOT of room to mold the team with "his" guys if he wants. I would have been more offense-centric with my moves for sure though, even my real time draft was built around Fields.

The only concern that I'd have is that we've seen young QB's struggle to recover after taking lumps early in their careers. If Fields has another meh season where he gets hit a ton with limited talent around him you might have to bring in another QB.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 9:04 PM, BayRaider said:

I've had him at like number 7 since 2017.  He is always among the top 10, but he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that other players get.  

• Like 1