Browns lock up David Njoku for 4 years / 56.75 million

TheRealMcCoy

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’ll say we can tell the train went off the rails if we see extensions like this to Donovan Peoples-Jones, Grant Delpit or Greedy Williams - guys who have value on cheap rookie deals, but little upside on second contracts.

Just purely speculating on my part, but Berry usually drafts guys replacements a year or 2 in advance. We drafted JC Tretters replacement in Nick Harris. I’d bet a lot of money we drafted Kareem Hunts replacement in Jerome Ford. 

Greedy Williams - Martin Emerson

Donovan Peoples Jones - I hope he breaks out, but we draft WRs every year.

Grant Delpit - Nobody yet

Paying Watsons money kinda forces us to do this and hope for the best. It’s what every franchise with an elite paid QB has to do.

However, I still don’t like this Njoku deal. His run blocking has improved tremendously, but he’s never going to be Kittle / Gronk. I don’t care how athletic he is.

• Like 1

I get that he had a scrub QB throwing to him but he's done nothing to earn that money. If he was a 2014 Gronk level blocker it would still be too much.

475 and 4 last year with 675 and 4 as his peak?

That's crazy giving him Travis Kelce money.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I think there is an aspect of Berry where he has to start getting ahead of some moves, finding extensions before the value is apparent to work around the Deshaun Watson contract.

This isn’t BECAUSE of the Watson contract, mind you - Berry had some solid doubles into the gap with this extension game, getting really good value on extensions to Denzel Ward, Nick Chubb, Joel Bitonio, Kareem Hunt, etc (I think he was Hunt, right?) Now, he’s got to hit those moves repeatedly, every extension he lands needs to have Jedi-like anticipation on a big jump in performance; That IS due to the Watson contract, he’s got to do more of what he did before, and at a greater frequency.

I’ll say we can tell the train went off the rails if we see extensions like this to Donovan Peoples-Jones, Grant Delpit or Greedy Williams - guys who have value on cheap rookie deals, but little upside on second contracts.

We’ll see.

Not sure what you mean could have signed MAYFIELD and Ward for deshaun plus still have 3 numbers 1s

Plus ojabo.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I feel like a lot of the recent tight end contracts have been "overpayments."  Maybe we're the ones undervaluing the position and/or the demand.

Regardless what the dollar amount is, Njoku isn’t worth top 5 TE money.

13 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

#NERDS

Rate stats like this are what happens when a guy with <40 touches has one go for 71 yards. It's how Quez Watkins and Kendrick Bourne wound up way up there in efficiency stats as well. Unless he can manage another 70+ yard reception, more volume will 100% make his efficiency go down.

• Like 5

I have seen a few people make the argument that his production now with Watson may turn out to be worth this. But, by that logic, couldn't they get a cheaper TE, and have Watson make them produce like that, instead? Like, George Kittle, Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews, those guys are going to produce with whoever. So sure, give them $15M per year.  Njoku is proven to not be that.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Rate stats like this are what happens when a guy with <40 touches has one go for 71 yards. It's how Quez Watkins and Kendrick Bourne wound up way up there in efficiency stats as well. Unless he can manage another 70+ yard reception, more volume will 100% make his efficiency go down.

to play devils advocate, it could also simply mean more of a 'get him more targets' comparison and a good predictor of future success with more involvement. Not saying Njoku is Travis Kelce, but if you give him 153 targets a year like Mark Andrews gets its very easy to have good counting stats to match.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

to play devils advocate, it could also simply mean more of a 'get him more targets' comparison. Not saying Njoku is Travis Kelce, but if you give him 153 targets a year like Mark Andrews gets its very easy to have good counting stats to match.

I mean, statistically, if you give almost anyone 153 targets a year they'll produce some amount of bulk. Like, Jaelen Raegor, as one of the league's least efficient WRs, would've gone for 800 yards with that target share. But a huge part of getting those targets, is that you target the guys getting open. A player who deserves 153 targets will get it. Like, it isn't like Njoku was open constantly over the past 4 or 5 years, and just no one on the Browns has cared. So to target him 153 times, you're probably going to be throwing a ton more passes to a covered Njoku. Kelce, for instance, got 134 targets last year because the dude is open freaking constantly. Njoku is not open constantly. Or he would've already gotten more than 53 targets.

• Like 2