After Minicamps, How Well Do You Like Your Draft?

onejayhawk

For the Chiefs, the haul gets more impressive the deeper you look. In a year dominated by older players--due to COVID--the Chiefs had one of the youngest drafts. Four of five picks in the first three rounds are age 21. Throw in Justyn Ross and Mike Rose as UDFA and it all looks wicked.

OTAs and Minicamp are mostly about receivers. Skyy Moore impressed with his routes and his hands.

It's probably not coincidence that the team cleared a lot of roster space in advance of the draft. If nothing else, there are ST openings for all the DBs to fill. 

Edited by onejayhawk

I'm pretty excited for the Falcons draft. They drafted a lot of guys who fit the "humble, but hungry" motto that the front office and coaching staff seems to be looking for. Their personalities say, "So what, I wasn't first overall. I'm gonna work for it."

More than that, if they hit on London and Ridder, this team is gonna be nasty and have a lot of money (around 90M next offseason) to play with to really build out the team. But if Ridder doesn't hit, the FO will basically be gone in 3 years. 

I’m excited to see how the team uses Marcus Jones and Tyquan Thornton. Interested to see if Strong and Jack Jones can get many snaps this year. Strange was a reach but the expectation is that he walks in and fills the void at LG. 

I don’t hate it quite as much.

8 hours ago, scar988 said:

I'm pretty excited for the Falcons draft. They drafted a lot of guys who fit the "humble, but hungry" motto that the front office and coaching staff seems to be looking for. Their personalities say, "So what, I wasn't first overall. I'm gonna work for it."

More than that, if they hit on London and Ridder, this team is gonna be nasty and have a lot of money (around 90M next offseason) to play with to really build out the team. But if Ridder doesn't hit, the FO will basically be gone in 3 years. 

Do you think Ridder would stop you from taking someone like Stroud or Young next year?

I still like it a lot.  I really, really like what the Packers did.  I would have liked a true safety type player, and probably would have gone with an edge rusher earlier than they did.  But I am pretty high on almost all of the players drafted as either players I think are going to be good, or at least good prospects to try to develop.  Like, I think it is a real good investment to take Rasheed Walker in the 7th.  Will he ever amount to anything? Probably not.  But he has good tools to develop.

50 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I stopped trying to figure out what they were doing. Guess will see if two assets at 32 and 34 are better than 12 and 46. If Cine and Booth pan out, at least the secondary will be setup pretty well. 

There were reports that the same Packers trade was available for 32 as 34.  Do you think that the Vikings thought that Cine was in danger of being selected in the next two picks? Or did they just want to make sure that they had the 5th year option? Or, what I think was really stupid, but reported nonetheless, they wanted to keep the Packers from having the 5th year option on whomever they picked?

8 hours ago, scar988 said:

Agreed with everything but the last sentence. If the FO is gone in 3 years, it won't be because they missed on a third round pick. 

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Do you think Ridder would stop you from taking someone like Stroud or Young next year?

Nope. They'll have a year to get a pretty good feeling of what they have in Ridder. If they're picking top 5 and have someone like Stroud or Young as a "surefire" franchise QB and don't think Ridder is that, you take the QB. That's the beauty of taking Ridder in the 3rd. Gives them a shot at a QB, while not losing any flexibility whatsoever moving forward. 

• Like 2

Just now, swoosh said:

Nope. They'll have a year to get a pretty good feeling of what they have in Ridder. If they're picking top 5 and have someone like Stroud or Young as a "surefire" franchise QB and don't think Ridder is that, you take the QB. That's the beauty of taking Ridder in the 3rd. Gives them a shot at a QB, while not losing any flexibility whatsoever moving forward. 

And a decent back-up QB taken in the third round isn't terrible either.  Probably not exactly what you want, but there certainly are worse things.

• Like 2