Current Josh Allen Or Peak Russell Wilson?

CP3MVP

Josh Allen or Peak Russell Wilson?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Josh Allen
    • Peak Russell Wilson

I was thinking about this yesterday, I think we can all agree that Josh Allen is now better than Russell Wilson currently even though Russ is still a top ten or so QB. The question I’m asking is, Is Josh Allen currently better than Russell ever was? Like whatever you consider Russell’s peak is(2018,2019, 2020 etc) would you take those versions of Wilson over Current Josh Allen? 

Tougher call than it seems at first glance IMO. 

Russ was probably more consistent overall. Maybe didn’t have quite the ceiling - Josh on his “A” game is tough to beat, that goes for anyone. I think Russ was a little smarter about using his legs, despite not being the outright running threat that Allen is. Allen’s still young and has been a hair reckless at times. Russ’ moon ball was probably the prettiest we’ve seen since Favre, while Allen has the howitzer. 

Can’t go wrong either way. I’d say Russ if I had the weapons, Allen if I needed hero ball. In a vacuum, probably lean Allen just because I’d gamble on him improving/refining his game, whereas Russ’ prime is more or less defined.

20 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’d say Russ if I had the weapons, Allen if I needed hero ball. In

This sums it up pretty well. Wilson has always been a much more consistent player, and consistent at a high-level. It will be interesting to see what he can do in Denver (possibly the best WR/RB core in the NFL in Sutton/Jeudy/Hamler/Patrick/Javonte/Gordon, and better offensive coaching than Seattle). 

Allen can provide you higher ceiling games than anyone in the NFL IMO, so if you need hero ball, he’s the dude… but he his floor games are pretty damn horrible. 

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This sums it up pretty well. Wilson has always been a much more consistent player, and consistent at a high-level. It will be interesting to see what he can do in Denver (possibly the best WR/RB core in the NFL in Sutton/Jeudy/Hamler/Patrick/Javonte/Gordon, and better offensive coaching than Seattle). 

Allen can provide you higher ceiling games than anyone in the NFL IMO, so if you need hero ball, he’s the dude… but he his floor games are pretty damn horrible. 

I don’t see how a team that doesn’t have one single elite skill position talent can be the best WR/RB core in the league. 

You hope guys like Jeudy and Sutton can be elite they haven’t proven it yet 

• Like 1

I used 2014 - 2017 as Russell Wilson's "prime", though I don't really know how you can define his "best" seasons when he's been solid every single year except 2021. Anyways, here's the results for Josh Allen 2021 vs. Russell Wilson 14-17 on a per-game basis:

Passing Rushing
Rk Player From To Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds Att Yds TD
1 Josh Allen 2021 2021 24.1 38.0 259.2 2.1 0.9 1.5 9.6 7.2 44.9 0.4
2 Russell Wilson 2014 2017 20.4 31.8 245.3 1.7 0.6 2.7 17.5 6.1 35.1 0.2

Allen has the edge in every category except INT's/game, which makes sense because Wilson's greatest strength was always his efficiency and Allen is more of a gunslinger and plays in a pass-happy offense vs. the exact opposite for Russell Wilson (though it is surprising to see Wilson only averaged 4 less passing attempts per game than Allen in 2021).

If you include 2020 for JFA:

Passing Rushing
1 Josh Allen 2020 2021 24.4 36.9 271.2 2.2 0.8 1.6 9.8 6.8 35.9 0.4
2 Russell Wilson 2014 2017 20.4 31.8 245.3 1.7 0.6 2.7 17.5 6.1 35.1 0.2

He still leads, if not by even more. Including playoffs:

Passing Rushing
1 Josh Allen 2020 2021 25.0 36.4 290.8 2.8 0.2 2.0 22.0 8.4 55.8 0.2
2 Russell Wilson 2014 2016 17.9 29.4 240.1 2.0 1.4 3.3 20.4 4.9 26.4 0.1

It's even larger in favor of JFA. So when you look at this statistically, there's no argument in favor of Russell Wilson. 

• Like 8

I don't think Allen has hit peak form yet, which is scary. He had his down games last year vs lesser competition. If he (and the team) clean up those games they took for granted, then watch out. MVP is a real possibility. He absolutely lights up the tougher competition, though, and that can't be understated since those are the types of teams faced in the playoffs. Allen is showing to have ice in his veins during the biggest games. Hard not to take a guy like that. 

There's little doubt in my mind that Allen ends up the better QB between the two with the higher ceiling barring a crazy injury (which is possibly with his playing style).

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

I don't think Allen has hit peak form yet, which is scary. He had his down games last year vs lesser competition. If he (and the team) clean up those games they took for granted, then watch out. MVP is a real possibility. He absolutely lights up the tougher competition, though, and that can't be understated since those are the types of teams faced in the playoffs. Allen is showing to have ice in his veins during the biggest games. Hard not to take a guy like that. 

There's little doubt in my mind that Allen ends up the better QB between the two with the higher ceiling barring a crazy injury (which is possibly with his playing style).

This is exactly where I'm at with JA as well. 

On 6/8/2022 at 12:07 PM, WizeGuy said:

Yeah he’s not at his peak. I think when he hits that he will be the best QB in the NFL