Houston Texans added as defendants in Deshaun Watson sexual misconduct civil trials

ET80

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Ooooooooooh… goodness, hadn’t even thought of that.

honestly, i think it's very possible. the people who run these franchises are just the right combination of powerful and stupid to think they can get away with something like that. for hell, all i know, they still might.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lark25 said:

Dude should be in jail no question 

I think so too, but hopefully for our collective sanity he is somehow exonerated beyond any doubt or else actually had a criminal case stick. I don't generally consider myself quick to assume guilt, but man does everything about this scream guilt. The grand jury not indicting it's troubling, though, for clarity. I guess we'll see.

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

Why? The Browns “did their own investigation” into Deshaun Watson, per Jimmy Haslem himself. Why do they get a redo on a decision they made on a guy with 22 pending civil cases? 

The risk was always there, Cleveland just chose to ignore it. They shouldn’t be bailed out.

Vacate the picks entirely, go with 31 picks in the first round next two drafts. Houston should feel the consequences, but Cleveland shouldn’t be absolved of their poor decision making on this one.

Exactly how i feel. I also dont like the precedent set of the NFL bailing out teams poor decisions.

If the owners were smart in the future they would try and add an amnesty clause like the NBA did at one point. You get 1 mulligan over the course of the CBA agreement to cut a guy without cap penalty. Team still has to pay but it wont ruin them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xenos said:
10 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

He played the Browns like a fiddle. If he wasn’t a sociopath and sexual predator, his cunning would almost be admirable 

The Browns didn’t get played. Willful ignorance is on them

Bingo. Don’t let the Browns off the hook on this, they created this by basing their decision on the criminal complaints not reaching charges (which we later find out - was HEAVILY influenced by Rusty Hardin, moreso than most situations involving a defense lawyer and prosecution team).

The Browns had full access to Buzbee, the 22 women bringing charges against Watson, Lisa Freel and the NFL investigative team - none of them were contacted in the Browns’ discovery session. The Browns only  spoke to Hardin and Mulagetta who both have vested financial interest in making Watson look as innocent as possible - Hardin probably has an ongoing tab that has to be in the eight figures by now, and Mulagetta’s financial incentive as Watson’s agent is self explanatory. Watson getting that new deal means both Hardin and Mulagetta would get paid - so of course they’re going to say what they need to say.

The Browns are 10,000% responsible for any sort of consequences they’re feeling in this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Bingo. Don’t let the Browns off the hook on this, they created this by basing their decision on the criminal complaints not reaching charges (which we later find out - was HEAVILY influenced by Rusty Hardin, moreso than most situations involving a defense lawyer and prosecution team).

The Browns had full access to Buzbee, the 22 women bringing charges against Watson, Lisa Freel and the NFL investigative team - none of them were contacted in the Browns’ discovery session. The Browns only  spoke to Hardin and Mulagetta who both have vested financial interest in making Watson look as innocent as possible - Hardin probably has an ongoing tab that has to be in the eight figures by now, and Mulagetta’s financial incentive as Watson’s agent is self explanatory. Watson getting that new deal means both Hardin and Mulagetta would get paid - so of course they’re going to say what they need to say.

The Browns are 10,000% responsible for any sort of consequences they’re feeling in this.

I never said the Browns weren’t responsible. They knew the risks. But I do think that Watson played them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xenos said:

Nah this beats all of those things. Including the move.

No it doesn’t. You can at least go through mental gymnastics that Watson is a great football player and “worth the risk.”

Considering Ernest Byner was suicidal and Art moved this team from a constant sellout and competitive brand while he fired 2 of the 3 best coaches in the history of the game (Bill B was fired by Baltimore btw), it’s not close.

The move you won’t get a single Browns fan to agree with you on.

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No it doesn’t. You can at least go through mental gymnastics that Watson is a great football player and “worth the risk.”

Considering Ernest Byner was suicidal and Art moved this team from a constant sellout and competitive brand while he fired 2 of the 3 best coaches in the history of the game (Bill B was fired by Baltimore btw), it’s not close.

The move you won’t get a single Browns fan to agree with you on.

And for the record, I don’t care to go down this road. My point being this is a recency prisoner of the moment “worst ever” conversation, and while I loathe Watson and Haslem/The FO for doing this, there’s about a 4-7 decade track record of a bunch of other awful decisions from a purely football standpoint.

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Maybe they looked at how the NFL handled Robert Kraft who was caught getting happy endings/hiring prostitutes from a place busted in a human trafficking sting....and the NFL slapped him on the wrist.

Not to defend Robert Kraft, but prosecutors later said there was no evidence of human trafficking in that specific case.

However, you're totally correct that the NFL are massive hypocrites with a record of letting human trafficking slide, considering that Dan Snyder trafficked his cheerleaders to wealthy buddies a few years back and absolutely nothing happened to him. 

53 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I never said the Browns weren’t responsible. They knew the risks. But I do think that Watson played them. 

Could you please enlighten me on how an early 20's dude dumb enough to put his entire life on the internet is going to successfully hide his private life from a team with millions of dollars in resources for private investigators and interviewers? Like, how massive does that conspiracy have to be, and how bad at using the internet do those detectives have to be. And was getting sued 23 times part of the plan?

The Browns didn't do a real background check and are getting hammered for it. Not everything has to be 5D chess.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Not to defend Robert Kraft, but prosecutors later said there was no evidence of human trafficking in that specific case.

However, you're totally correct that the NFL are massive hypocrites with a record of letting human trafficking slide, considering that Dan Snyder trafficked his cheerleaders to wealthy buddies a few years back and absolutely nothing happened to him. 

Not to get into the weeds here because you’re right, but it’s also very difficult to prove human trafficking in the instances of adults/consenting adults.

We are even seeing this to some extent with the foreshadowing defense that Watson’s attorney, Saul Goodman (source unverified) is using with the whole “Happy Endings aren’t illegal unless extra payment occurred” angle. He’s setting it up to argue consent and evidence very similarly to the Kraft precedent on a consensual “sex act”.

It is reprehensible, but in a court of law, it works so long as other hard evidence (no pun intended) doesn’t surface ala specific messages, videos, etc.

The Browns deserve to get hammered on this via the draft compensation they gave up for not having done their homework as they transparently lied about, and the Texans deserve to get nailed to the wall infinitely more for having enabled a predator to harm dozens of women as they were willing accomplices in these alleged and likely heinous crimes. They weren’t just aware, they legitimately gave him the means to commit them with paid rooms and NDAs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

And for the record, I don’t care to go down this road. My point being this is a recency prisoner of the moment “worst ever” conversation, and while I loathe Watson and Haslem/The FO for doing this, there’s about a 4-7 decade track record of a bunch of other awful decisions from a purely football standpoint.

You don’t care and yet you posted that ridiculous drivel. Should just delete your original post then because it shows a lack of awareness.

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

Closest comparison I have is Penn State and Jerry Sandusky.

The coach who had to follow Paterno had a really weird and tough job to move forward and reestablish the integrity and the direction of the PSU football program.

He did a really good job there. Its so weird who he is and how he is at the start of this story too.

It was also strange how many morons attacked the Ravens announcer on social media because he was named Gerry Sandusky.