NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

33 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I guess my point is that just because small ball is working right now (for a few teams), doesnt mean its the future of basketball. Loading up on guards and wings sounds good, but is your team committed to the develpment process and sure in 2-3-4 years from now that will be the winning formula still?

Its not out of the question that the game changes styles. The 3 best players this year (Giannis, Jokic, Embiid) are all Bigs. With additional young studs on the ride like Sengun, Bam, Mobley, Allen, Zion there are likely to be just as many premier bigs than guards in a not so distant future.

Just like 10 years ago when we saw everyone transition from half court offenses to 'small ball'--we could very well see a league dominated by skilled bigs very soon and teams that have 2 or 3 skilled bigs are going to be in the drivers seat.

Well again, those top players were the bigs on their team, well Giannis is a PF that plays 1-5.  They definitely don't run a slew of C's out there. Each team has a C, some are better than the other but no teams other than the Cavs have tried 3 PF/C's at once.  I think we will see more skilled big men coming out. Guys like Chet and Jabari and Paolo who can play on the perimeter. The game has transitioned to an outside game so bigs are learning guard skills and shooting early on before growing.  I dont think any of those guys will see regular minutes at the 3 like KD and guys like Robert Williams, Looney, Gobert, etc wont even see time at the 4 given their offensive limitations. Basketball will always evolve, but it will be skills that evolve more than positions.  You wont find Embiid or Jokic playing the 3 or 4 on a regular basis.  

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Rozier and Hayward for the brodie.

I feel like thats a trade both teams win and lose with.  Like it will help the Lakers now because Russ sucks.  It will suck because those long term contracts and when Lebron is gone that team will be trash. 

The Hornets would be pretty much tanking this year with Russ, probably still good enough to sniff the play in with Bridges and Ball, and waste a year of contract and youth and have another mid round draft pick.  

It makes a lot of sense for both sides, but both sides will also lose. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I feel like thats a trade both teams win and lose with.  Like it will help the Lakers now because Russ sucks.  It will suck because those long term contracts and when Lebron is gone that team will be trash. 

The Hornets would be pretty much tanking this year with Russ, probably still good enough to sniff the play in with Bridges and Ball, and waste a year of contract and youth and have another mid round draft pick.  

It makes a lot of sense for both sides, but both sides will also lose. 

They likely only have one year of LeBron left so they have to try to make the most of it. Hayward only has two years left on his deal so they'd really only be committing to Terry Rozier. 

I don't even think that they'd ask Russ to play for them, I think that it'd be a similar situation to what we saw with John Wall in Houston.

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Rozier and Hayward for the brodie.

No thank you.   I'd be so disappointed in bringing in Westbrook.   This team doesn't need a ball dominant guard to take the ball out of Melo's hands.   I know our coaching situation is a mess but this team is built to be a ball movement offense which is why we had one of the highest assist rates.   We don't need the growth of our growing stable of young players to be stunted as they stand around the court and watch Russ dominate the ball.      

Terry and Hayward (when he's healthy) are very efficient scorers and excel at catch and shoot rates.   Terry had a slow first 15 games of the season and then scored over 20 pts a game for the 2nd year in a row.   He's a good player and will be well worth the extension (without even considering the leadership role he plays on the team).   I'm okay packaging him in a move for a bigger #2, #3 but that player needs to be a younger, long-term piece not a 1 yr rental or pay-not-to-play wasted roster space.   Hayward's salary is hard to stomach as he's missed the 2nd half of each of the last two seasons and his leg issues aren't going to get any better.  At this point he's in danger of spraining or breaking his ankle if an opponent sneezes in his direction.

Shedding salary early doesn't help when we aren't signing any new big-money FA after Gordon anyway

1 minute ago, Kampfgeist said:

Shedding salary early doesn't help when we aren't signing any new big-money FA after Gordon anyway

Trading away Hayward/Rozier would allow you to extend LaMelo/Bridges and still have roster flexibility. 

On 6/18/2022 at 4:40 PM, beekay414 said:

I wouldn't want to coach them either. Their locker room is a mess and they're already talking about trading away players so they can "afford" to extend LaMelo.

I don't understand the locker room comment?   By all accounts the team was exceedingly tight-knit.   Players took some exception with Borrego and playing time but nothing directed between players.    Bouknight wanted more playing time (which he deserves(ed) and had a little spat with Borrego.    He never had an issue with the players though.    Ball and Bridges and Rozier are besties too and Bouknight and Kai Jones are highly complimentary of the "older" players.     

1 minute ago, Kampfgeist said:

I don't understand the locker room comment?   By all accounts the team was exceedingly tight-knit.   Players took some exception with Borrego and playing time but nothing directed between players.    Bouknight wanted more playing time (which he deserves(ed) and had a little spat with Borrego.    He never had an issue with the players though.    Ball and Bridges and Rozier are besties too and Bouknight and Kai Jones are highly complimentary of the "older" players.     

Harrell just got caught with a bunch of weed, LaMelo has a bunch of off the court drama, and Bridges just posted a photo of himself drinking cough syrup, lol.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Knicks are reportedly trying to move Nerlens Noel and Alec Burks so they can offer Brunson $25M APY.

And are currently working on a new deal with Mitchell Robinson.

Also read the suns are trying to trade away depth pieces to clear space to resign Ayton.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Harrell just got caught with a bunch of weed, LaMelo has a bunch of off the court drama, and Bridges just posted a photo of himself drinking cough syrup, lol.

Add in PJ Washington and his Brittany Renner drama lol

They have no guidance in that locker room 

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

And are currently working on a new deal with Mitchell Robinson.

Also read the suns are trying to trade away depth pieces to clear space to resign Ayton.

The Suns don't need to clear any space to resign him, I think they have his bird rights?

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The Suns don't need to clear any space to resign him, I think they have his bird rights?

Can’t speak to that, I’m not that familiar with their situation. But the report was saying they’re looking to move Johnson for a pick.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Trading away Hayward/Rozier would allow you to extend LaMelo/Bridges and still have roster flexibility. 

Having roster flexibility implies we might bring in a good player via trade or FA.   We aren't bringing in any high level FA that requires roster flexibility - so that's out.   We aren't close to competing for anything other than the #6 seed and MK says he's not trading for a big name before we have a real shot to compete.   So that's out in the near term.   Gordon was a shock signing and it took a big overpay to bring him in.    We couldn't find playing time for Bouknight, Kai Jones or JT Thor (who has the potential to be a very impactful player) and we might be adding two more rookies at #13/#15 to sit on the bench.   I'm hoping we don't lose Rozier for the prospect of bringing Russ in for a year and maybe re-signing PJ Washington, all so MJ can avoid playing the luxury tax.    Rozier is a talented player, I hope we can use his salary to acquire real talent and not as a salary dump

7 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Having roster flexibility implies we might bring in a good player via trade or FA.   We aren't bringing in any high level FA that requires roster flexibility - so that's out.   We aren't close to competing for anything other than the #6 seed and MK says he's not trading for a big name before we have a real shot to compete.   So that's out in the near term.   Gordon was a shock signing and it took a big overpay to bring him in.    We couldn't find playing time for Bouknight, Kai Jones or JT Thor (who has the potential to be a very impactful player) and we might be adding two more rookies at #13/#15 to sit on the bench.   I'm hoping we don't lose Rozier for the prospect of bringing Russ in for a year and maybe re-signing PJ Washington, all so MJ can avoid playing the luxury tax.    Rozier is a talented player, I hope we can use his salary to acquire real talent and not as a salary dump

What's the point of paying the luxury tax for a team that's at best the 6-8 seed? You have two foundational pieces, best to keep flexibility around them. If Kai, Bouknight, and/or whoever you draft at 13/15 are good you guys have the young pieces to potentially pull of a trade for the third star player.

• Like 1