NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Not sure but Marc Stein confirmed that a lot of people around the league think Rudy will get traded and that the Bulls are the most likely landing spot for him.

I was just making a lame joke about the wording of the tweet.  Makes it sound like the Bulls are hearing from outside sources about a deal sending Rudy to the Bulls. 

40 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What would that deal even look like? Nikola Vucevic, Patrick Williams, Coby White, #18, 2027 1st?

I'm not sure that we want Vuc or White so I think they're looking to move them in separate deals to acquire more draft capital. Ideally we'll get Williams and Ayo back plus significant draft capital. 

14 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

I was just making a lame joke about the wording of the tweet.  Makes it sound like the Bulls are hearing from outside sources about a deal sending Rudy to the Bulls. 

Its interesting to see how all of these trade rumors this offseason so far (the 4 days of it) have been around Centers. Teams like CHI/CHA/DET going after guys like Rudy Gobert, John Collins and Myles Turner.

Not being facetious or anything but I wonder how much of this has to do with Cavs shredding conference rival teams with a 'tall ball' lineup last year when everybody thought the Center position was dead. Now it feels like teams are making pushes to get one of these type of guys on their roster once they realized they cant just play with a undersized C as a space eater.

Is Tall Ball becoming a thing? Will we see more teams going all out with a 3-4 man rotation of bigs after seeing how well it creates mismatches. I just find it weird that so many teams are going after bigs and not guards like they have been for years now

Edited by AkronsWitness

23 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its interesting to see how all of these trade rumors this offseason so far (the 4 days of it) have been around Centers. Teams like CHI/CHA/DET going after guys like Rudy Gobert, John Collins and Myles Turner.

Not being facetious or anything but I wonder how much of this has to do with Cavs shredding conference rival teams with a 'tall ball' lineup last year when everybody thought the Center position was dead. Now it feels like teams are making pushes to get one of these type of guys on their roster once they realized they cant just play with a undersized C as a space eater.

Is Tall Ball becoming a thing? Will we see more teams going all out with a 3-4 man rotation of bigs after seeing how well it creates mismatches. I just find it weird that so many teams are going after bigs and not guards like they have been for years now

I don't think a team finishing 9th in the East and losing in the play in games is changing the way teams are playing.  Some of the better players that are expiring or free agents this year bigs.  I think thats really the only thing driving it.  People are holding onto their wings because thats what wins, see Boston and GS.  So the market drives what is available more than people craving to add bigs.  I think teams have wanted length forever if they are skilled enough on the perimeter to play the 3 and 4.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think a team finishing 9th in the East and losing in the play in games is changing the way teams are playing.  Some of the better players that are expiring or free agents this year bigs.  I think thats really the only thing driving it.  People are holding onto their wings because thats what wins, see Boston and GS.  So the market drives what is available more than people craving to add bigs.  I think teams have wanted length forever if they are skilled enough on the perimeter to play the 3 and 4.

I mean for 3 months of the season they were actually the #2/#3 seed until injuries to 75% of their roster essentially derailed their entire year where they dropped down to 6th. They definitely had something there in a way no other team did until the injuries became insurmountable 

Teams can keep chasing their tail trying to replicate GS, but it wont happen because its the system more than the individual players. BOS was a terribly constructed team which was ultimately their downfall--they were the only team Ive ever seen make the Finals without a single player on their roster who could pass or dribble a basketball.

The wing position I agree on because there are so few who can actually be real 2 way threats and they are like gold--but that cant be the only way you can build a championship roster. Loading up on a bunch of guards has been the choice for many in the past decade, but again thats just chasing the GS model because 6'2" guards who can run and shoot are easier to find than a 6'11" big who can do the same.

Im just wondering when the next shift in playstyle will happen, because its going to soon I think. Having a bunch of skilled bigs isnt something that has been done before CLE last year and they had great success with it. I wonder if we see more teams trying to go a different route is all, instead of trying to overdraft 3/D wings trying to find the next Kawhi or loading up on 6'2" guards just because its the path of least resistance. 

59 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean for 3 months of the season they were actually the #2/#3 seed until injuries to 75% of their roster essentially derailed their entire year where they dropped down to 6th. They definitely had something there in a way no other team did until the injuries became insurmountable 

Teams can keep chasing their tail trying to replicate GS, but it wont happen because its the system more than the individual players. BOS was a terribly constructed team which was ultimately their downfall--they were the only team Ive ever seen make the Finals without a single player on their roster who could pass or dribble a basketball.

The wing position I agree on because there are so few who can actually be real 2 way threats and they are like gold--but that cant be the only way you can build a championship roster. Loading up on a bunch of guards has been the choice for many in the past decade, but again thats just chasing the GS model because 6'2" guards who can run and shoot are easier to find than a 6'11" big who can do the same.

Im just wondering when the next shift in playstyle will happen, because its going to soon I think. Having a bunch of skilled bigs isnt something that has been done before CLE last year and they had great success with it. I wonder if we see more teams trying to go a different route is all, instead of trying to overdraft 3/D wings trying to find the next Kawhi or loading up on 6'2" guards just because its the path of least resistance. 

Sorry, they are copying the GS, Boston, Miami, Dallas, Phoenix, Brooklyn, Milwaukee, Toronto, Memphis etc model.  All of the teams that are winning and consistent have a ton of wings, play small ball and their bigs are either not overly involved on offense or are versatile.  Philly and Denver are the only ones with a focus on bigs but still the players around their one big are all versatile length with outside ability. Utah is trying to move Gobert because having that much money ties up in a C that can't play the final few minutes of a game hurts them. 

Cleveland had a good start to the season, but I dont think they scare anyone for real and definitely are not changing the game.  If they put it together, stay healthy and win a championship or at least a playoff series with that style, maybe people will consider it but literally none of these guys being traded/signed is being talked about going to a situation where there is more than 1 other big getting minutes. 

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

My predictions is that GP2/Looney come back. Otto I’m not sure of. Think a could come in with a nice offer to get him away. 

I think OPJ will run it back for at least one more year, he was a former max player so he has made a ton of money over the course of his career. If he does move on Nic Batum just opted out today.

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Sorry, they are copying the GS, Boston, Miami, Dallas, Phoenix, Brooklyn, Milwaukee, Toronto, Memphis etc model.  All of the teams that are winning and consistent have a ton of wings, play small ball and their bigs are either not overly involved on offense or are versatile.  Philly and Denver are the only ones with a focus on bigs but still the players around their one big are all versatile length with outside ability. Utah is trying to move Gobert because having that much money ties up in a C that can't play the final few minutes of a game hurts them. 

Cleveland had a good start to the season, but I dont think they scare anyone for real and definitely are not changing the game.  If they put it together, stay healthy and win a championship or at least a playoff series with that style, maybe people will consider it but literally none of these guys being traded/signed is being talked about going to a situation where there is more than 1 other big getting minutes. 

I guess my point is that just because small ball is working right now (for a few teams), doesnt mean its the future of basketball. Loading up on guards and wings sounds good, but is your team committed to the develpment process and sure in 2-3-4 years from now that will be the winning formula still?

Its not out of the question that the game changes styles. The 3 best players this year (Giannis, Jokic, Embiid) are all Bigs. With additional young studs on the ride like Sengun, Bam, Mobley, Allen, Zion there are likely to be just as many premier bigs than guards in a not so distant future.

Just like 10 years ago when we saw everyone transition from half court offenses to 'small ball'--we could very well see a league dominated by skilled bigs very soon and teams that have 2 or 3 skilled bigs are going to be in the drivers seat.

Edited by AkronsWitness