NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Harrell just got caught with a bunch of weed, LaMelo has a bunch of off the court drama, and Bridges just posted a photo of himself drinking cough syrup, lol.

None of which has any bearing on the locker room or camaraderie.   None of this affects on-court play and LaMelo/Bridges/Rozier/Hayward/Washington all had good relationships with Borrego.  Two years ago PJ Washington showed up out of shape and got called out, that's kind of it.   

Harrell isn't on the team.   And it's weed.  It will soon be legal in half the States (maybe soon the country). Bet the first reaction from most players in the league was - "3lbs?  That's weak."

What drama from LaMelo?   Think that perception is overplayed because of the last name and he's an incredibly hard worker.  He's a gym rat.    He's shown some high maturity too - there's a story of Ish Smith getting hot in a game and when Borrego told him to go in he told Borrego to ride the hot hand and let Ish close it out (we won btw).  Not a common story for a young All-Star

Bridges is an idiot.   Not a locker room issue though.

Young rich dude Washington making questionable lady choices.   umm...not an outlier in professional sports

Coaches, GM's aren't idiots.  They know what a bunch of 20 year old dudes are doing across the NBA.     

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What's the point of paying the luxury tax for a team that's at best the 6-8 seed? You have two foundational pieces, best to keep flexibility around them. If Kai, Bouknight, and/or whoever you draft at 13/15 are good you guys have the young pieces to potentially pull of a trade for the third star player.

I agree.   But those players aren't proving themselves this year.  By the time they do Hayward's contract and Batum's $9M are off the books.  Terry will have put 5 highly productive, above average seasons in a row and with two years remaining and 30 yrs old still have trade value to actually start targeting high level trade targets.

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Kenny backing out isn't a great look.

No.  Big black eye.   Some rumors it's tied to unwillingness of the team to pay for the assistants he wanted.  They wanted to retain most of the coaching staff on current contracts.   Bottom 5 team on assistant coaching salaries.   Don't believe for a second it's tied to "locker room issues"

I like to think "the team is hesitant to pay Bridges" rumors are just Agent driven to get teams involved and driving negotiations --same stuff was put out be John Collins' agents before he settled for a below max contract.   Part of me worries MK told him they might not bring him back and Atkinson said he's not coming to a team with only Ball as an All-Star talent.  Mostly I just think it's not being able to bring his own people in and not having enough input on draft decisions

Edited by Kampfgeist

35 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:
37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Suns don't need to clear any space to resign him, I think they have his bird rights?

Can’t speak to that, I’m not that familiar with their situation. But the report was saying they’re looking to move Johnson for a pick.

yeah, they said the pellies 8th pick for cam so they don't have to spend money resiging both cam and ayton

17 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

No.  Big black eye.   Some rumors it's tied to unwillingness of the team to pay for the assistants he wanted.  They wanted to retain most of the coaching staff on current contracts.   Bottom 5 team on assistant coaching salaries.   Don't believe for a second it's tied to "locker room issues"

I like to think "the team is hesitant to pay Bridges" rumors are just Agent driven to get teams involved and driving negotiations --same stuff was put out be John Collins' agents before he settled for a below max contract.   Part of me worries MK told him they might not bring him back and Atkinson said he's not coming to a team with only Ball as an All-Star talent.  Mostly I just think it's not being able to bring his own people in and not having enough input on draft decisions

I never mentioned anything about locker room issues, I was just pointing out what the perceived issues were to fans.

26 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I agree.   But those players aren't proving themselves this year.  By the time they do Hayward's contract and Batum's $9M are off the books.  Terry will have put 5 highly productive, above average seasons in a row and with two years remaining and 30 yrs old still have trade value to actually start targeting high level trade targets.

If you move Hayward/Rozier it opens up minutes for your young players. 

The Los Angeles Lakers offered Russell Westbrook, Talen Horton-Tucker and a 2026 first-round draft pick to the Indiana Pacers for Malcolm Brogdon, ESPN’s Jonathan Givony reported on The Lowe Post podcast (1:47:10 mark). That offer was reportedly rejected

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

The Hornets are expected to gauge trade interest in Terry Rozier, PJ Washington, Kelly Oubre Jr. and Mason Plumlee in advance of Bridges’ restricted free agency.

Mike Brown had lunch with Fox during the playoffs and FaceTimed with Richaun Holmes. Fox, Holmes, Mitchell, and Davis we’re all in attendance for his presser. Holmes might not be leaving the Kings, team friendly deal in his prime  and a fan favorite, just have to figure out the fit and minutes with Sabonis.