NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

Just now, agarcia34 said:

Tax bill doesn’t mean anything to the Warriors. 

Your GM said that the goal was to keep it around $400M and you're projected to be around $500M. Is a rookie that won't even be in the rotation worth the fees? Probably not which is why you're already working to move the pick.

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

LOL, that would be a very Pistons thing to do.  If that happens I would hope we just fire everyone and start over again.  It wouldn't shock me if we sign someone like Schroeder as it would be very similar to us signing Olynyk last year.  Overpay a  vet who is good enough to start on a bad team in the league nut nothing to really move the needle on the success of the team as they would be a 7th-9th man on a good team.  

Bagley I am indifferent on.  He played ok down the stretch and if he signs the $7M offer sheet or a 2 year $10-12M deal then I am all for it.  Thats about what Josh Jackson got and they are in similar standings.  I don't think he should impact any moves we make in the draft or free agency aside from being a player on the roster.  But again, we will probably give him more than that and run out a team similar to last years with the addition of Benedict Mathurin.  

Side note, I am not sure I want any part of Brunson.  I would have to see the contract but I have him in that Sexton type range where I am not really sure he fits or will be worth what his next contract is. 

16 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

LOL, that would be a very Pistons thing to do.  If that happens I would hope we just fire everyone and start over again.  It wouldn't shock me if we sign someone like Schroeder as it would be very similar to us signing Olynyk last year.  Overpay a  vet who is good enough to start on a bad team in the league nut nothing to really move the needle on the success of the team as they would be a 7th-9th man on a good team.  

Bagley I am indifferent on.  He played ok down the stretch and if he signs the $7M offer sheet or a 2 year $10-12M deal then I am all for it.  Thats about what Josh Jackson got and they are in similar standings.  I don't think he should impact any moves we make in the draft or free agency aside from being a player on the roster.  But again, we will probably give him more than that and run out a team similar to last years with the addition of Benedict Mathurin.  

Side note, I am not sure I want any part of Brunson.  I would have to see the contract but I have him in that Sexton type range where I am not really sure he fits or will be worth what his next contract is. 

If I was Detroit the only players that I'd offer significant deals too would be DeAndre Ayton, Miles Bridges, and/or Collin Sexton.

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If I was Detroit the only players that I'd offer significant deals too would be DeAndre Ayton, Miles Bridges, and/or Collin Sexton.

Same here.  Well add Zach Lavine but sounds like he is resigning in Chicago.  I doubt we get any of those but would try for them. 

Sexton I am iffy on too.  He and Buxton are similar IMO.  Sexton the better scorer, Brunson the better defender/facilitator.  They are the exact same size and neither are true ball dominant guards but can score.  Sexton had more volume until last year but shot similar efficiency as Brunson.  I think of the contracts are the same, Brunson is better right now but Sexton has more upside if he can play defense.  But I don't want to overpay either but given the weak FA class, both likely will be overpaid. 

35 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Sexton I am iffy on too.  He and Buxton are similar IMO.  Sexton the better scorer, Brunson the better defender/facilitator.  They are the exact same size and neither are true ball dominant guards but can score.  Sexton had more volume until last year but shot similar efficiency as Brunson.  I think of the contracts are the same, Brunson is better right now but Sexton has more upside if he can play defense.  But I don't want to overpay either but given the weak FA class, both likely will be overpaid. 

I think Sexton is worth significantly more than Brunson. Sexton has at least proven that he can be a 24 ppg guy on good efficiency and he's two years younger than Brunson. I also think that Sexton is better right now but there's recency bias towards Brunson because he fried Mike Conley in the playoffs while Sexton missed all of last season. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I think Sexton is worth significantly more than Brunson. Sexton has at least proven that he can be a 24 ppg guy on good efficiency and he's two years younger than Brunson. I also think that Sexton is better right now but there's recency bias towards Brunson because he fried Mike Conley in the playoffs while Sexton missed all of last season. 

I agree, but Sexton is also one of the worst defenders in the league.  And if he isn't getting the volume that he did on a bad team two years ago, I don't want him having to need to have value defensively.  We have seen how far a 30 points per game scorer gets you with Beal when they dont play defense and need the ball in their hands.  I think Sexton is a perfect 6th man or starting SG next to Cade if we have another 1 or 2 primary scoring options. 

Brunson has similar efficiency with less volume being he played next to Luka for 3 years.  But he had similar efficiency to Sexton and is used to playing with another ball dominant wing in Luka.  Age doesn't matter as a 4 year deal, both would still be in their primes at the end.  

15 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Forgot the Nets have Ben Simmons

Also KD is gonna be 34… Just realized this. That’s crazy. Time is ticking. Hopefully we don’t see his last couple years waisted 

Edited by agarcia34

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree, but Sexton is also one of the worst defenders in the league.  And if he isn't getting the volume that he did on a bad team two years ago, I don't want him having to need to have value defensively.  We have seen how far a 30 points per game scorer gets you with Beal when they dont play defense and need the ball in their hands.  I think Sexton is a perfect 6th man or starting SG next to Cade if we have another 1 or 2 primary scoring options. 

Brunson has similar efficiency with less volume being he played next to Luka for 3 years.  But he had similar efficiency to Sexton and is used to playing with another ball dominant wing in Luka.  Age doesn't matter as a 4 year deal, both would still be in their primes at the end.  

I think a lot of Sexton's defensive shortcomings were due to playing with Garland so he had to defend SGs instead of PGs. I think he'd get plenty of volume for the Pistons, he was significantly more efficient than Cade who was averaging 16 FGA per game, who else do you have that can consistently create offense?

Beal has also been on some of the least talented teams in the NBA with guys like Rui Hachimura and Davis Bertans as his best teammates. 

I think Brunson is a prime candidate to be a guy that gets overpaid based on playoff success and then falls off when he's in a worse situation. 

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Also KD is gonna be 34… Just realized this. That’s crazy. Time is ticking. Hopefully we don’t see his last couple years waisted 

Simmons didn't play at all, Harris hardly played, and Kyrie hardly played as well. If the Nets keep their team intact getting those three for a full season will make them a completely different team next year.

35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm surprised the Hawks are so eager to move John Collins.

So am I honestly, looking into him a bit more with the kings rumor dude seems kinda nice. From what I’ve read seems extremely capable on the defensive end as well, haven’t watched the Hawks play all that much.