NBA Offseason Thread: Durant will remain in Brooklyn

NYRaider

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The situation is just kind of weird because he has to decide if he's going to opt in by Wednesday. If he opts in it leaves the window for a potential trade open because teams like the Lakers/Clippers can still acquire him despite being over the luxury tax. If he opts out he can't be S&T to either LA team because they'd go over the hard cap so the only way that he could end up with the Lakers would be if he signed the tax payer MLE but in doing so I think he'd also give up his bird rights so he'd be ineligible for a max next offseason.

He’d still make great money, on the team he wants to be on with the teammates he wants to play with, in theory of course. Most logic, and anything said by Kyrie can be thrown out the window when dealing with Kyrie. Maybe the Lakers promise to pay him top dollar, or all that they can next year and that appeases him? I hope he does take the MLE away from the Lakers, I want Monk on the Kings running and gunning with Fox like back at Kentucky 

7 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

He’d still make great money, on the team he wants to be on with the teammates he wants to play with, in theory of course. Most logic, and anything said by Kyrie can be thrown out the window when dealing with Kyrie. Maybe the Lakers promise to pay him top dollar, or all that they can next year and that appeases him? I hope he does take the MLE away from the Lakers, I want Monk on the Kings running and gunning with Fox like back at Kentucky 

He lost $17M by sitting out for a good portion of last season and would be taking the largest pay cut in NBA history if he opted out and signed for the MLE. Kyrie doesn’t want to leave Brooklyn because of teammates, he wants a long term deal and they don’t want to give it to him. 

I also think the Lakers would be limited with the max deal they could offer him next off-season. And who knows what their plans will be with LeBron set to hit free agency. 

44 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

There are rules in place to keep that from happening. The Lakers couldn't offer him more than a 10% raise until they earn his Bird Rights, which is after year 3.

• Like 1

This whole dynamic in Brooklyn is frustrating. Kyrie dont want to leave the Nets obviously bc its close to home, he get to play for the team he grew up as a fan in the Nets, and KD is there which we know they are boys. Brooklyn FO fell like they cant trust Kyrie and rightfully so. He has given them no reason to feel like they can trust him. KD is radio silent. I get that KD want to just hoop but push has come to shove and he need to speak up.

As much as I love both KD and Kyrie and I would prefer them to stay in Brooklyn, this situation has gotten to the point where I dont care if they both go. Kyrie is the worst leader and KD doesnt even try to lead. Plus I trust the FO of the Nets more than I do Kyrie and KD combined. When the Nets were so bad with no light in sight, the GM Marks did wonders to get the Nets to be relevant again. He brought in Atkinson, he drafted and Atkinson developed well. I think the Nets will do fine after Kyrie and KD. Sign and trade Kyrie for a nice deal and then if KD wants to leave then get an historically great deal for him.

@NYRaider How do you feel about this Nets situation?

12 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

There are rules in place to keep that from happening. The Lakers couldn't offer him more than a 10% raise until they earn his Bird Rights, which is after year 3.

Kyrie could take the MLE then next year when the Lakers have all that cap space they can give him a bigger contract. It wont be as much as he could make with the Nets but he will still get paid way more than what he would get paid this offseason if he just walks and signs with the Lakers for the MLE. To me Kyrie is weird in his thinking. Yes he want the money and I think the Nets would run to give it to him if they felt like he could be trusted. Him going to the Lakers maybe LeBron could spark something. Maybe Kyrie would be motivated at least for a year or so to be on his absolute best behavior. But that would be fools gold just bc if he couldnt do right in the perfect situation in Brooklyn for him, what makes anyone think he would do right any where else? To me he is no different than Harden now and we know we cant trust Harden. The 76ers are going to give him that big contract and be screwed. The Nets are basically telling Kyrie.. "no sir, not me" lol. They arent going to lock someone in long term that they cant trust. And as I said before, if KD feels some type of way about the Nets "lack of understanding Kyrie" then the Nets should tell him "to the left, to the left" lol. Let GM Marks work his magic and get an historically great deal for KD that will set the Nets up nicely for the future as they start to rebuild again.

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Kyrie could take the MLE then next year when the Lakers have all that cap space they can give him a bigger contract. It wont be as much as he could make with the Nets but he will still get paid way more than what he would get paid this offseason if he just walks and signs with the Lakers for the MLE. To me Kyrie is weird in his thinking. Yes he want the money and I think the Nets would run to give it to him if they felt like he could be trusted. Him going to the Lakers maybe LeBron could spark something. Maybe Kyrie would be motivated at least for a year or so to be on his absolute best behavior. But that would be fools gold just bc if he couldnt do right in the perfect situation in Brooklyn for him, what makes anyone think he would do right any where else? To me he is no different than Harden now and we know we cant trust Harden. The 76ers are going to give him that big contract and be screwed. The Nets are basically telling Kyrie.. "no sir, not me" lol. They arent going to lock someone in long term that they cant trust. And as I said before, if KD feels some type of way about the Nets "lack of understanding Kyrie" then the Nets should tell him "to the left, to the left" lol. Let GM Marks work his magic and get an historically great deal for KD that will set the Nets up nicely for the future as they start to rebuild again.

I think they'd only be able to give him like $7.2M.

Line movement on odds like that mean nothing. It’s about the reports that come out that move the line and that report is that the Nets expect to lose both so it’s only fitting that a team who has Ayton to trade wouldn’t have such crazy odds.