Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

Can someone tell me what makes CJ Stroud different from Dwayne Haskins?

His deep passing metrics are infinitely better for one.

Secondly, they run a more pro style offense now with reads, option routes, and passing trees.

Haskins ran a lot of crossing routes with predetermined bubble routes from guys like Paris Campbell and Curtis Samuel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Secondly, they run a more pro style offense now with reads, option routes, and passing trees.

Haskins ran a lot of crossing routes with predetermined bubble routes from guys like Paris Campbell and Curtis Samuel.

These WRs at Ohio State the past few years have been unbelievable. CJ Stroud the past 2 years has thrown to Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Marvin Harrison Jr, and Ekema Egbuka. Most likely, that is 5 first round pick receivers and Marvin Harrison Jr will be the best WR prospect in years. I have to grade him on a curve for that.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Stroud's release is a whole lot quicker than Haskins as well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

These WRs at Ohio State the past few years have been unbelievable. CJ Stroud the past 2 years has thrown to Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Marvin Harrison Jr, and Ekema Egbuka. Most likely, that is 5 first round pick receivers and Marvin Harrison Jr will be the best WR prospect in years. I have to grade him on a curve for that.

As well as you should. That’s what makes guys like him and anyone who plays at Alabama so hard to grade, not even taking into account their elite OL play with multiple high drafted running backs.

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

Stroud's release is a whole lot quicker than Haskins as well.

Correct

He is probably a slightly better athlete too and from everything I’ve read and heard a very level headed and mature person too.

IMO his floor is a guy like Cousins. I’m not sure what his ceiling is, but I think his foot is high. JMHO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO his floor is a guy like Cousins. I’m not sure what his ceiling is, but I think his foot is high. JMHO

I'd say his floor is more like post injury Wentz.  Cousins may not be a top tier NFL QB, but he's pretty good.

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Burrow had Chase and Jefferson to throw to with CEH in the backfield.  Jalen had incredible WR prospects.

I'm not saying ignore it, but I don't think you can grade them on a curve.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Burrow had Chase and Jefferson to throw to with CEH in the backfield.  Jalen had incredible WR prospects.

I'm not saying ignore it, but I don't think you can grade them on a curve.

Burrow now has Chase, Higgins, and Boyd in the NFL, and Hurts has AJ Brown and Devonta Smith. If you can match the college conditions in the NFL, then fine, you don't have to consider it. But if you can't, you absolutely have to. Let's not forget Hurts did not look good as a passer at all in 2021 without AJ Brown.

• Like 1

Stroud reminds me of Jared Goff and it wouldn’t surprise me if he has a similar career projection. Surround him with the right coach and supporting cast and he’ll flourish into top 10 QB range. Don’t and you’ll be looking/hoping for a better option behind center.

13 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Stroud reminds me of Jared Goff and it wouldn’t surprise me if he has a similar career projection. Surround him with the right coach and supporting cast and he’ll flourish into top 10 QB range. Don’t and you’ll be looking/hoping for a better option behind center.

Yep, and it's funny that some people would want Stroud at #6 if available to the Lions. Basically a younger, cheaper Goff

16 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Stroud has a significantly better arm than Goff. I think Stroud is going to be a great pro in the same realm as prime Matt Ryan.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I'd say his floor is more like post injury Wentz.  Cousins may not be a top tier NFL QB, but he's pretty good.

His release is a lot more compact than Wentz though. I chose Cousins because of the accuracy metrics with some flaws like holding the ball too long. He can make every throw but winning games for you is something yet to be determined. 

9 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

My question with Stroud is, was the UGA game an outlier or the beginning of him reaching another level? For me, that’s the difference between him being Jared Goff as I previously mentioned or a Joe Burrow level guy.

It’s definitely an outlier, but it also shows you what he’s capable of in terms of efficiency, scrambling ability, progressions, reading a defense, and making off platform throws. I’ve seen guys get drafted high on less from a film standpoint. Danny Dimes went Top 10 because of 5 Senior Bowl snaps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Burrow now has Chase, Higgins, and Boyd in the NFL, and Hurts has AJ Brown and Devonta Smith. If you can match the college conditions in the NFL, then fine, you don't have to consider it. But if you can't, you absolutely have to. Let's not forget Hurts did not look good as a passer at all in 2021 without AJ Brown.

If you don't provide a good enough supporting cast for a young QB, then you're probably fired in a couple years.

Hurts was in his first year starting in 2021 and while Brown is a top 3 WR at worst, Hurts made a ton of improvement in his own right.