Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

10 hours ago, Trojan said:

The weirdest part of Hendon Hooker's offense is the weird stacking of WRs to get easy releases off the snap to hit deep shots right? Isn't that more a knock on Hyatt than Hooker? Like assuming NFL WRs are capable of beating press he still makes reads then hits his route? Are the progressions weird by stacking WRs like that or it's just the early intermediate stuff that's a little different?

edit: obviously snaps under center would be different I guess, but a lot of prospects are heavily out of shotgun it seems.

Heupel's offense does a great job of scheming guys open and flooding the zones with too many receivers for a college defense to cover. Things are a lot easier on the QBs and WRs wherever Heupel goes. It happened at Missouri, UCF, and Tennessee. It's hard to really judge guys in that scheme to project as pros.

4 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Heupel's offense does a great job of scheming guys open and flooding the zones with too many receivers for a college defense to cover. Things are a lot easier on the QBs and WRs wherever Heupel goes. It happened at Missouri, UCF, and Tennessee. It's hard to really judge guys in that scheme to project as pros.

Correct. They don’t see a lot of man coverage due to their tempo, which gets guys in space with ease. That’s what tempo in a spread offense can do. 

17 hours ago, -Hope- said:

i don’t agree with this assessment of levis at all. levis ran a pro style offense and displayed as much ability to execute pre and post-snap reads as any QB in the draft class. what you’re talking about is pocket presence, which levis definitely lacks, but that doesn’t at all mean that he’s just an arm talent/size/athleticism guy. i don’t love him because i think pocket presence is a big deal and his accuracy has also been inconsistent, but i don’t think his floor is nearly as low as a lot of people seem to think it is.

Maybe I didn't express it right, but you're kind of agreeing with what my point was supposed to be. Levis has multiple years of starting experience - he should be better at the pre and post snap reads. IMO those are things that come with experience. What I've felt he lacks every time I see him is the innate ability to navigate the pocket, find throwing lanes, step up, etc. Richardson still has a LONG way to go in the art of reading the defense but he's showing that instinctual ability (in more flashes than Levis IMO, by a long shot) that most great quarterbacks have. That's something that I feel is either you have it or you don't kind of thing, whereas you can get better at reading defenses the more you play. Honestly don't have that much faith that either will reach their ceiling, but I'd bet on Richardson way more than Levis. Personally, I wouldn't touch Levis in round 1

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What are the odds that Will Levis pans out and becomes a franchise QB?

Excellent.  The ratings show he's the second best QB in the draft but he will need WRs who can get downfield fast either with (YAC after a 1-5 yarder) or without (#1 at 21-30 yards) the ball.

Raiders?  Hell, yes.

Atlanta?  Okay.

Indianapolis?  Not so much.

Just now, Dr A W Niloc said:

Excellent.  The ratings show he's the second best QB in the draft but he will need WRs who can get downfield fast either with (YAC after a 1-5 yarder) or without (#1 at 21-30 yards) the ball.

Raiders?  Hell, yes.

Atlanta?  Okay.

I think Indianapolis would be a solid fit. Shane Steichen has worked with Phillip Rivers, Justin Herbert, and Jalen Hurts so he has experience working with top tier guys and helping young QBs make the transition. They need to get better up front but having Jonathan Taylor to lean on would help him, Pittman is a solid WR, and Alec Pierce showed some flashes last year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think Indianapolis would be a solid fit.

I like the staff in Indi and predict a bounceback.  2023 was a ridiculous anomaly.  However, they seem geared toward a more orthodox yardstick-oriented offense.  Will Levis is at his best throwing well short of or well beyond the first down marker. 

Today's Chicago-Carolina trade drastically reduced the chances of the Colts getting Stroud or Young.  Anthony Richardson would seem an even less appropriate choice than Levis for them.  It will be interesting to see what Chris Ballard has up his sleeve.

31 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Raiders?  Hell, yes.

Atlanta?  Okay.

What ratings?