Let’s be honest: which projected starter on your team sucks?

Soko

39 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

He's like the least mobile tackle in his draft class and has huge issues bending at the waist. He had very long arms but also reaches a lot which messes with balance, letting him get beaten by power. Issues with speed that people assumed would be mitigated because HiS aRmS are TwO iNcHeS lOnGeR tHaN tHe OtHeR gUy.

Watching him individually, he was NOT an NFL starting T which is why a good chunk of people had him as a mid to late rounder with a huge frame. The hype was more an issue of people scouting the school and the production, and not the actual player. If you win ugly in college, it doesn't always translate against better competition. 

I had him as a 2nd round LG in the pros. I don't understand why they are using him at tackle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

He's like the least mobile tackle in his draft class and has huge issues bending at the waist. He had very long arms but also reaches a lot which messes with balance, letting him get beaten by power. Issues with speed that people assumed would be mitigated because HiS aRmS are TwO iNcHeS lOnGeR tHaN tHe OtHeR gUy.

Watching him individually, he was NOT an NFL starting T which is why a good chunk of people had him as a mid to late rounder with a huge frame. The hype was more an issue of people scouting the school and the production, and not the actual player. If you win ugly in college, it doesn't always translate against better competition. 

Add to it he's ALWAYS had a penchant for penalties. 

Alabama's talent gap is large enough to overcome these and go largely unnoticed. 

Las Vegas' is not. And some of his penalties were absolute back breakers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

I had him as a 2nd round LG in the pros. I don't understand why they are using him at tackle.

Yeah, G seems like an actual viable spot for him in a gap scheme. He has that super impressive frame, but he's not mobile and he knows it, which leads to the penalties. Dude could develop, but I am massively skeptical of him as a perimeter player.

Packers:  Let me tell you at the end of pre-season.

It is possible that the OL will have a couple of weak links.  It is also pretty likely that the TE position is underwhelming.  WRs need to fulfill their roles, there probably is no star in this group, this season.  Defense looks pretty good on paper.  

• Like 1

For the Cardinals, it had to be offensive guard. Justin Pugh is talented, but there's a good chance that Rodney Hudson is done as a Cardinal and Pugh plays center full time.

Which would leave our starting guards as... Giants reject Will Hernandez? 6th-round rookie Lecitus Smith? 7th-round rookie Marquis Haynes? Justin Murray? Josh Jones? So much uncertainty, and everyone is either an uninspiring unknown or hasn't played well at guard thus far.

Also, cornerback. Guys like Marco Wilson and Christian Matthew are late rounder draft picks from the past two years with great athletic potential and nothing else. Wilson was super hot and cold last year as a rookie. Matthew is from Valdosta State.

The only proven starter is Byron Murphy, our slot corner. He's probably one of the better slot corners in the league, but he plays the same way Marcus Peters does. Either completely shutting down someone who should be better than him or getting burned super badly on a gimme.

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Wylie was actually respectable last year, both are JAGs really. Clark gets paid a lot of be a JAG though

Oh I agree with ya, on Clark, broski I just have an unhealthy dislike for Wylie (as a player).

We got rid of Niemann and Sorenson....I just need one more player scratched off my "hit" list haha

11 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Oh I agree with ya, on Clark, broski I just have an unhealthy dislike for Wylie (as a player).

We got rid of Niemann and Sorenson....I just need one more player scratched off my "hit" list haha

unfortunately, With his knowledge of the system and “versatility” , Hes not old enough yet for Reid to let go. i think he loses to Kinnard in camp and platoons as a backup/extra lineman across the line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I never understood how Sorensen got so many snaps for such a long time…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I never understood how Sorensen got so many snaps for such a long time…

He was more good than bad most of his time here. 2016, 2018, 2019, all years he got appropriate snap counts and played reasonably well within them. Even graded out well with PFF there. He was kept within his role, which was a shallow zone coverage guy, could tackle better than most DBs, cover better than most LBs, so he was a solid dime LB/S split. 2017 he started, and was actually probably our best safety. That was the year we lost Berry unexpectedly, and he honestly stepped up quite well. Had a top 10 defense, and he was definitely better than Ron Parker or Eric Murray that year.

The problem was just he was limited. So his failures typically stemmed from those limitations not being respected. After Thornhill got hurt late in 2019, for whatever reason, they were reluctant to bring him back to his full role, and they gave it to Dan, and he was not built for that. Parker/Sorensen in 2017 kind of worked, because Parker was in the mold of a deep centerfield S. At that point, Parker couldn't handle that anymore, but it meant Dan took Berry's role, largely being in the box, lined up against TEs or RBs or blitzing, and he could handle that, most of the time. Sorensen/Mathieu was a terrible idea from the start, because they didn't want to restrict Mathieu to being deep, when he's so good roaming the shallow areas of the field, manning up on slots, blitzing, and just generally having freedom to roam. So you have Sorensen in deep zones. And that's a disaster. Sorensen at 24 couldn't keep up with 90% of NFL WRs running deep downfield. Sorensen at 30 could maybe have kept up with Packer legend Devin Funchess, and that's really about it. The coaches just trusted Sorensen far more than they should've, and took weeks too long to adjust. And it really tainted his legacy here, because he was, on the whole, a more positive than negative player. Even when in some of his mismatched situations, he made some really insanely clutch plays over the years, running down plays on effort or instinct or reaction time that he had no business stopping. His game winning plays outweigh his game losing ones, with ease, in my book. The last two years the coaches just put him in situations he absolutely never should've been in. Him being the deepest DB in a zone defense against Stefon Diggs was basically having Tom Brady run the sprint option. It was throwing a fade to Darren Sproles. Asking Trindon Holliday to chip J.J. Watt on release. Yeah, the dude failed at what he was asked to do, because it was moronic what they were asking him to do. Week 10 and on when he was getting a 50% snap count playing dimebacker and blitzing and handling shallow zones, dude was fine.

He was the kind of guy, give him to Belichick, he would've had a long successful career. Give him to Paul Guenther, you have one of the worst players in NFL history. Give him to guys like Sutton and Spags, and it winds up being a bit of a mixed bag. It was always just scheme and usage, with Dan.

• Like 2