2023 NBA Draft Discussion Thread

Texansfan713

29 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

My roommate was playing 2k and doing the era thing. Started as the Timberwolves. Blew the entire team up minus Garnett to collect picks. Ends up with picks 1, 5, 9 and 28. Packages 5/9/28 for 2. Drafts LeBron/Wade and Ridnour in the 2nd round. One year rebuild into dynasty. 2k can be real dumb.

Yeah, some of the trades the computer offers, rejects, and accepts are wild. Seemingly no consistency whatsoever but easy to take advantage of by just offering packages for a couple minutes.

On 10/31/2022 at 11:00 AM, seminoles1 said:

Yeah, some of the trades the computer offers, rejects, and accepts are wild. Seemingly no consistency whatsoever but easy to take advantage of by just offering packages for a couple minutes.

The key is to offer crappy players for unprotected first rounders 3 years from now. Some of them will inevitably end up in the lottery and you'll land a superstar. Then you trade the superstar when he's about to decline for the #1 overall pick that's guaranteed to become another superstar.

Also in the first few years of your franchise when you still have cap space to actually sign free agents because you're not chock full of max contracts, trade them for free draft picks.

All this crap is so cheesy but I've been addicted to it for years. At least you can't just increase the potential of 4 players every offseason anymore!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 10:08 AM, seminoles1 said:

I started a franchise with the Pacers.  Obviously wanted to tank, so I made some moves.

-Did the Hield-Turner for Westbrook and 2027 1st trade.  Sent an additional 2nd rounder for Max Christie.  Immediately waived Westbrook
-Tanked hard.  Had the worst record and got the 1st pick.  Also had picks #25, #28, and a 2nd
-Picked Victor #1, then...
-Packaged those picks for #16.  For some unknown reason, OKC offered me Cason Wallace (who they picked 7th overall) for #16 and Max Christie.  I noticed the Spurs also offered Keldon Johnson straight up for #16...
-Traded Chris Duarte, Keinrich Williams, and 2 2nds for Keldon Johnson
-Noticed a 75 overall 19-year-old named Jordan Walsh was available in free agency with 0 offers.  Signed him

So after 1 year, my core is:

PG: Tyrese Haliburton (87)
SG: Brandon Mathurin (78)
SF: Keldon Johnson (85)
PF: Jalen Smith (77)
C Victor Wembanyama (85)

6th: Cason Wallace (77)
7th: Jordan Walsh (75)
Some random vets to fill out the rest.

I hope my owner will let me pay all of them since no one is older than 23.

Playing with Wemby on 2K is fun as hell and cheesier than prime Yao.

9 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

The key is to offer crappy players for unprotected first rounders 3 years from now. Some of them will inevitably end up in the lottery and you'll land a superstar. Then you trade the superstar when he's about to decline for the #1 overall pick that's guaranteed to become another superstar.

Also in the first few years of your franchise when you still have cap space to actually sign free agents because you're not chock full of max contracts, trade them for free draft picks.

All this crap is so cheesy but I've been addicted to it for years. At least you can't just increase the potential of 4 players every offseason anymore!

The fact that it's so easy is why I only play 30 team user control now. Way more fun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

The fact that it's so easy is why I only play 30 team user control now. Way more fun.

Same.  I have to play with at least trade approval on, and house rules for trades to get sustained joy out of it.  Winning championships with a loaded roster, while also holding multiple top picks, is only fun for so long.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Same.  I have to play with at least trade approval on, and house rules for trades to get sustained joy out of it.  Winning championships with a loaded roster, while also holding multiple top picks, is only fun for so long.  

When you're only competing against yourself, cheating the games logic isn't that beneficial. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

A couple versions ago I had a team that was on the cusp of 82-0 every year and had literally every first round draft pick! It was hell fighting out how to cut my roster to 15 and ensure that all my best young players would grow properly.

Gotta admit that I miss being able to dump 18 year olds in the G-League and have their ratings grow by 10 after a year. Also miss picking guys with two years overseas who'd become 90-somethings with 4 year rookie contracts.