2023 NBA Draft Discussion Thread

Texansfan713

10 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd trade that 29 pick then, and move Bogey to the Hornets who need a 3 to teach Whitmore or whoever they like at 5 and take of pick 14.  Moving down 3 spots in a draft if they dont love Miller/Scoot is not a far drop and they get a little for it.  

Wiseman/Bagley/Hayes don't have value as potential superstars but value as depth.  I get we as Pistons fans are over them, albeit Wiseman would fit much better if we didn't have Duren and is an expiring if you don't want to extend him.  Same with Hayes, except he would be better than any PG NO has aside from Scoot and would be a solid backup for Ball.  I don't think they are super valuable, but they have enough to fill in the gaps.  Bagley is a decent 5th/6th option and is slightly overpaid but again its his fit on our roster that's the bigger issue than him not being productive.  He would be a solid replacement for Zion in NO or at least a quality 6th man to come in at PF or C off the bench.  In Charlotte, he would be battling PJ Washington for the starting spot and probably would win it.  

if they want that pick i'd trade it too, i just don't think either team will view it as valuable unless you make it completely unprotected since i don't think you can roll it over to the following year yet

i guess killian could be a clifford guy for his defense but alvarado and dyson daniels are both better than him right now

there's no way you said bagley could be a solid replacement for zion. i have to be reading that wrong

13 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

if they want that pick i'd trade it too, i just don't think either team will view it as valuable unless you make it completely unprotected since i don't think you can roll it over to the following year yet

i guess killian could be a clifford guy for his defense but alvarado and dyson daniels are both better than him right now

there's no way you said bagley could be a solid replacement for zion. i have to be reading that wrong

I am not saying he will be Zion, I am saying they don't have much at PF, and he can step in as a 5th option and fill the void.  He could play the 5 in small ball lineups with Herb Jones and BI at the 3/4.  Where we have too many players like him, they have none.  

And as much as I am disappointed in Hayes development, his ability to run the offense and defend is better than either Alvarado or Daniels at this point.  They had no PG last year and Daniels averaged 3 points and 2 assists on almost as bad shooting numbers.  Alvarado was similarly bad offensively and Hayes is the most versatile defender of them at this point.  

Again, I am not trying to sell them as great pieces, just decent fillers and pieces that won't make you get to the playoffs but can help in the right situation.  Given people talk about Zion straight up for 2, I am wondering what it would take to go from 5 to 2.  And I dont think a package of 5, Bogey, and a future pick is bad comp for the three spot jump if you are trying to move down.  If you replace Bogey with any of the others mentioned or add them in, it makes it better for the other teams, even if we dont like their fit here. 

There won't be a trade. The Hornets are notoriously tight lipped in the Kupchack era.  Any reports you see are made by others simply speculating.

Again, I'm fine with either player. I watched both quite a bit and would prefer Miller but would be excited for Scoot. They aren't moving that pick. 

4 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

Also I think we overrate the word generational too much. 

People use that term way too much. Should apply to things like Curry's shooting or LeBron overall, and that's basically it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

Was about them firing an assistant coach. Zion has generational talent. His prime could easily be a 30/6/6 guy with elite efficiency. *Obviously health the biggest factor

43 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Was about them firing an assistant coach. Zion has generational talent. His prime could easily be a 30/6/6 guy with elite efficiency. *Obviously health the biggest factor

Yeah Zion is not a guy who is called a "generational talent" and doesn't deserve it lol. Dude scores damn near 30 PPG on over 60% shooting. The only concern is and always has been health. 

For the record, I don't think we trade Zion either. David Griffin would have to be REALLY in love with Scoot to do that lol, I hope firing Weatherspoon is a way to get Zion out of his comfort zone though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingram said:

That comment wasn't about Zion.

Edited by Supersuavesky

6 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

Yeah Zion is not a guy who is called a "generational talent" and doesn't deserve it lol. Dude scores damn near 30 PPG on over 60% shooting. The only concern is and always has been health. 

For the record, I don't think we trade Zion either. David Griffin would have to be REALLY in love with Scoot to do that lol, I hope firing Weatherspoon is a way to get Zion out of his comfort zone though. 

It also seems like Willie is finally able to build his own staff after keeping all of the holdovers from the SVG era. Already made a huge addition with Borrego. Hopefully another move is in the works to beef up the assistant coaches.

15 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

Griffin moved off of AD for a haul, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him get moved.

But this would be selling low. Which is never great and out of character for Griffin. 

Saying this, I'd move Zion to get back Scoot + pieces/picks. Reset the deck, get a guy who can actually play. 

51 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Griffin moved off of AD for a haul, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him get moved.

But this would be selling low. Which is never great and out of character for Griffin. 

Saying this, I'd move Zion to get back Scoot + pieces/picks. Reset the deck, get a guy who can actually play. 

Pelicans announced they have no intention of moving Zion or BI. 

It was obvious from the start that Charlotte and Portland were driving the rumors. 

8 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Pelicans announced they have no intention of moving Zion or BI. 

It was obvious from the start that Charlotte and Portland were driving the rumors. 

and what if Zion wants to be traded? Guy didnt exactly rush back to play again this season. 

Rumors get swirled, NOLA denies them, Zion says "Well now that you mention it..."

42 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

and what if Zion wants to be traded? Guy didnt exactly rush back to play again this season. 

Rumors get swirled, NOLA denies them, Zion says "Well now that you mention it..."

Tough cookies. He’s got 5 years left on his deal.