2023 NBA Draft Discussion Thread

Texansfan713

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Limited athlete, awful in the NBL, awful defender

Yeah he was a bad defensive player. Got locked out on screens from mid sized guys at best. That was a flaw I distinctly remember for sure. But that was about it. His shooting percentages were not good IIRC, but his shooting form was great and his quick release/size was incredibly encouraging. 

13 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah he was a bad defensive player. Got locked out on screens from mid sized guys at best. That was a flaw I distinctly remember for sure. But that was about it. His shooting percentages were not good IIRC, but his shooting form was great and his quick release/size was incredibly encouraging. 

Sure, the size was there but despite that size, he was soft, his finishing was subpar and he's an underwhelming athlete. Defensively, he was a mess and someone that could easily be hunted. That's still a problem. He was far from a great prospect and he was definitely not the best PG prospect of the last decade. He's a bigger Trae Young. They'll get theirs and they'll be great for your fantasy teams but other than that, look elsewhere if you're trying to win a title. 

I had Tyrese Haliburton rated higher than LaMelo in that draft. I, and since we're talking massive misses here, also had Killian Hayes rated higher. 

Edited by beekay414

21 hours ago, beekay414 said:

He doesn't have the toolset to be an impact player. He's a bigger Trae Young. You don't win with those guys as your #1s. He needs to be a secondary player in order to be on a good team. 

As a Hornets fan this is correct. He's a 2nd star.

14 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

As a Hornets fan this is correct. He's a 2nd star.

Sure, in a perfect world on a championship contender. But if Melo (healthy) is a 2nd star, how many #1 stars are there really? Especially if we're factoring in the idea that LaMelo is not even close to his prime yet & will likely be ascending.

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Sure, in a perfect world on a championship contender. But if Melo (healthy) is a 2nd star, how many #1 stars are there really? Especially if we're factoring in the idea that LaMelo is not even close to his prime yet & will likely be ascending.

I don't know, how many #1 stars are there compared to Zach LaVine?

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 8:02 PM, beekay414 said:

Melo's a box score stuffer that's yet to impact winning. He's closer to Trae Young than he is a Ja Morant. I never bought the Melo hype and I still don't. Ja's a significantly better player than Melo is, both as a prospect and as a player.

Ja is also a box score stuffer who doesn't impact winning much. But I agree he's better than LaMelo when he's not pulling out a gun. 

On 5/28/2023 at 9:22 PM, beekay414 said:

Sure, the size was there but despite that size, he was soft, his finishing was subpar and he's an underwhelming athlete. Defensively, he was a mess and someone that could easily be hunted. That's still a problem. He was far from a great prospect and he was definitely not the best PG prospect of the last decade. He's a bigger Trae Young. They'll get theirs and they'll be great for your fantasy teams but other than that, look elsewhere if you're trying to win a title. 

I had Tyrese Haliburton rated higher than LaMelo in that draft. I, and since we're talking massive misses here, also had Killian Hayes rated higher. 

Accusing someone of being Trae Young on defense is a serious accusation. LaMelo is mediocre but nowhere near the team killer that Trae is on D.

3 hours ago, Mox said:

Ja is also a box score stuffer who doesn't impact winning much. But I agree he's better than LaMelo when he's not pulling out a gun. 

It's a pretty stupid thing to say about LaMelo this early in his career, especially considering how their record improved significantly in his first two years, and just happened to crater when he played an injury-plagued partial season. Knowing the stubbornness of bk, he'd probably attribute that effect singlehandedly to Miles Bridges.

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Accusing someone of being Trae Young on defense is a serious accusation. LaMelo is mediocre but nowhere near the team killer that Trae is on D.

Melo is a turnstile and is someone that you hunt, the same as Trae. He's awful on defense, both on man and in a team D setting. 

52 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

It's a pretty stupid thing to say about LaMelo this early in his career, especially considering how their record improved significantly in his first two years, and just happened to crater when he played an injury-plagued partial season. Knowing the stubbornness of bk, he'd probably attribute that effect singlehandedly to Miles Bridges.

As opposed to having to be someone that's solely a contrarian to anything I say? Melo is a #2 and that's fine. Acting like pointing out what I've said is an insult or in any way "stupid" is stupid in and of itself. But, per usual, you always know better than me. 

And the Hornets had nowhere to go but up. Trae did the same thing for the Hawks. Does that make Trae a #1 too? No. Solid #2 types can lift bad teams out of the bottom of the barrel based on their own offensive skill set but they aren't doing more than that. You don't bottom out with good #2s. Use your head. 

19 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Ja's trajectory completely turned the Grizzlies franchise around. 

Did he? Or did they come into a bunch of good pieces all at the same time? Like a DPOY and one of the most underrated players in the NBA who is a legitimate star in his own right. We have a ton of evidence that the Grizzlies are already good without Ja.

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Most players have little impact on winning, especially early in their career. Ja isn't a championship #1 either.

Edited by Mox