2023 NBA Draft Discussion Thread

Texansfan713

Dariq Whitehead might be the biggest wildcard of the entire draft.

On one hand, two foot surgeries before you enter the league isn’t ideal. On the other hand, if this 2nd surgery truly helps him return to his high school athleticism, to go along with the shooting promise showed at Duke then you’re really cooking with gas. Add the fact he’s among the youngest players in the draft and you could be looking at a major steal in the late 1st/early 2nd.

15 hours ago, catcheryea said:

i've reached the point where i've seen too many pistons fans think hendricks should be the pick at 5 to feel comfortable about it anymore

I still haven't seen him go above 9 in a mock so I am shocked that many people are good with it.  But I am, especially given everyone else's weaknesses in that range.  

13 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Dariq Whitehead might be the biggest wildcard of the entire draft.

On one hand, two foot surgeries before you enter the league isn’t ideal. On the other hand, if this 2nd surgery truly helps him return to his high school athleticism, to go along with the shooting promise showed at Duke then you’re really cooking with gas. Add the fact he’s among the youngest players in the draft and you could be looking at a major steal in the late 1st/early 2nd.

I'd be all over him if he makes it to 31 but I highly doubt he will.  Seems like the kind of guy that Weaver targets like Wiseman, Bagley, Duren etc that had a lot of hype coming out of high school and then it faded some.  

Apparently the Rockets might be considering Cam Whitmore at 4.  I personally wouldnt mind it.  I love Whitmore as a prospect.  He is still 19 and has room to grow as a player.  Not buying the "he is selfish" part either.  If he gets drafted I am willing to bet Udoka can get him to play team ball given his background with the Spurs. 

51 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I still haven't seen him go above 9 in a mock so I am shocked that many people are good with it.  But I am, especially given everyone else's weaknesses in that range.  

i think he's great and i'd consider him as high as 3 for us, but when my opinions line up with the people who thought the 19-20 team was one marcus morris away from a top 4 seed and that cory joseph, josh jackson, trey lyles, and kelly olynyk was one of the best benches in the league, i start to reconsider some things

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 4:59 PM, beekay414 said:

Melo is a turnstile and is someone that you hunt, the same as Trae. He's awful on defense, both on man and in a team D setting. 

On this we don't agree. LaMelo greatly improved on his defense this year.

He's not good but he's not a complete liability like other years. Clifford did some work with him.

I look at the nba draft almost like the mlb... I don't know any of these dudes and it all seems like a crapshoot

Iirc, last year nobody knew who was going #1 and panchero was a pretty big surprise when Silver announced it..... my question is, who could be that guy but at the #2 slot this year? Or do these Henderson and Miller fellows seem to be locked in for that 2nd tier?

10 hours ago, adamq said:

I look at the nba draft almost like the mlb... I don't know any of these dudes and it all seems like a crapshoot

Iirc, last year nobody knew who was going #1 and panchero was a pretty big surprise when Silver announced it..... my question is, who could be that guy but at the #2 slot this year? Or do these Henderson and Miller fellows seem to be locked in for that 2nd tier?

Banchero was a shock only because of so many reports that they were taking Smith.  But the top 3 were the top 3 we expected.   I think this year it could be more likely than last given there are a couple from the Overtime Elite league and one from the G League in the mix for top 5.  I don't see anyone as of now jumping ahead of Miller and Henderson for the top 3 however but wouldn't shock me if someone fell in love with another prospect.  

• Like 2