2023 NBA Draft Discussion Thread

Texansfan713

3 hours ago, catcheryea said:

i don’t like this, and frankly, i don’t understand it

I feel like thats an upgrade to Killian Hayes but thats not what you are hoping for at 5, or even in a trade down.  Drafting someone in the lotto you are hoping they become a starter in a year or two, not one who is a guaranteed backup.  He could potentially play the three but he is another that needs the ball to be most effective.  Still seems Hendricks, Walker, Whitmore, Thompsons, Coulibaly, Grady D, or Lamar Miller should be the pick no matter where we pick.  And if Whitmore is not showing it during private workouts, then there are plenty of wings that are showing just fine.  I am still pulling for Hendricks though.  Coulibaly is intriguing but after Hayes its hard to pull that trigger.  His length and defense would be ideal for us on the wing and if his outside shot can stick in the 35% or higher range with more repetition, he would be perfect along side Ivey and Cade. He shot 45% on super low volume last year so it could be real.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, catcheryea said:

i don’t like this, and frankly, i don’t understand it

I’d rather trade down to 9 and get Hendricks than stay at 5 and get Walker. If we can get a solid wing at 16 to along, that’s even better. If Utah is willing to give up 9 and 16 to get to 5, I jump at that chance. I’m not sure there’s that big of a drop off from 5 to 9.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I feel like thats an upgrade to Killian Hayes but thats not what you are hoping for at 5, or even in a trade down.  Drafting someone in the lotto you are hoping they become a starter in a year or two, not one who is a guaranteed backup.  He could potentially play the three but he is another that needs the ball to be most effective.  Still seems Hendricks, Walker, Whitmore, Thompsons, Coulibaly, Grady D, or Lamar Miller should be the pick no matter where we pick.  And if Whitmore is not showing it during private workouts, then there are plenty of wings that are showing just fine.  I am still pulling for Hendricks though.  Coulibaly is intriguing but after Hayes its hard to pull that trigger.  His length and defense would be ideal for us on the wing and if his outside shot can stick in the 35% or higher range with more repetition, he would be perfect along side Ivey and Cade. He shot 45% on super low volume last year so it could be real.  

15 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’d rather trade down to 9 and get Hendricks than stay at 5 and get Walker. If we can get a solid wing at 16 to along, that’s even better. If Utah is willing to give up 9 and 16 to get to 5, I jump at that chance. I’m not sure there’s that big of a drop off from 5 to 9.

if they have ausar, whitmore, walker, and hendricks all basically in the same tier, i'd be fine with trading back if they know one of them will still be on the board. but i think there's a small cliff after that group and if they're just moving back to move back and they'd be ok with wallace or ****, or especially jhs, that'd be egregious. i think you can make a 3 team deal with dallas and utah work in theory and effectively get 9 and 10 for 5, bojan, and bagley or something, but if all 4 of those guys are gone, there's no point. but if whitmore and/or hendricks slip a little bit and they can get both or one of them and another wing they're high on, that would be fantastic

connecting some dots and interpreting things, i think if they stay at 5, they'll take ausar

1 hour ago, catcheryea said:

if they have ausar, whitmore, walker, and hendricks all basically in the same tier, i'd be fine with trading back if they know one of them will still be on the board. but i think there's a small cliff after that group and if they're just moving back to move back and they'd be ok with wallace or ****, or especially jhs, that'd be egregious. i think you can make a 3 team deal with dallas and utah work in theory and effectively get 9 and 10 for 5, bojan, and bagley or something, but if all 4 of those guys are gone, there's no point. but if whitmore and/or hendricks slip a little bit and they can get both or one of them and another wing they're high on, that would be fantastic

connecting some dots and interpreting things, i think if they stay at 5, they'll take ausar

Based on the fact that the draft is always a crap shoot after the first couple of picks, I am pretty sure one or 2 of them will be there at 9.  Just need 1 player to move into the top 8 that isn't on our list which is very likely.  I wouldn't mind JHS even if we get Hendricks/Thompson/Whitmore/Walker at 9 since we could use a backup PG/SG type and he has size and upside.  It would be nice to two of that initial group but one and JHS/Grady D, Coulibaly, Miller etc would be solid too to get more darts to hope for someone to be a legit starting 3 or at least help the depth.  

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

My top 5 favorite draft fits

1.  Jarace Walker and the Pacers

2. Dereck Lively and the Mavericks

3. Jett Howard and the Rockets

4. Keyonte George and the Lakers

5. Gradey **** and the Raptors

Walker to the Pacers is spot on. He’d fit next to Turner really well. He could even create a little on the short pick and roll with Haliburton and Mathurin. 

• Like 1

Final Mock Draft.  I'm so mad I forgot to email the entire mock with analysis to my home email at work yesterday since I'm off today.   So I'm going to just put who I remembered mocking to each team without analysis.

1.  San Antonio Spurs:   C Victor Wembayama

2.  Charlotte Hornets:  SF Brandon Miller

3. Portland Trailblazers:  PG Scoot Henderson

4.  Houston Rockets:  PG Amen Thompson

5.  Detroit Pistons:  PF Jarace Walker

6.  Orlando Magic:  SG Ausar Thompson

7.  Indiana Pacers:  PF Taylor Hendricks

8. Washington Wizards:  PG Anthony Black

9.  Utah Jazz:  SF Cam Whitmore

10. Dallas Mavericks:  C Dereck Lively

11. Orlando Magic (via Bulls):  PG Cason Wallace

12.  Oklahoma City Thunder:  SF Bilal Coulibaly

13. Toronto Raptors:  SF Gradey ****

14. New Orleans Pelicans:  PG Jalen Hood-Schifino

15. Atlanta Hawks:  SG Jordan Hawkins

16. Utah Jazz (via T-Wolves):  PG/SG Kobe Bufkin

17.  Los Angeles Lakers:  SG Keyonte George

18. Miami Heat:  SF Leonard Miller

19.  Golden St. Warriors:  PG/SG Nick Smith

20.  Houston Rockets (via Clippers):  SG Jett Howard

21.  Brooklyn Nets (via Suns):  SG Rayan Rupert

22. Brooklyn Nets:  PF Noah Clowney

23.  Portland Trailblazers (via Knicks):  SF Brice Sensabaugh

24. Sacramento Kings:  PF Kris Murray

25.  Boston Celtics (via Grizzlies):  SF Dariq Whitehead

26.  Indiana Pacers (via Cavs):  SG Brandin Podziemski

27.  Charlotte Hornets (via Nuggets):  C James Nnaji

28. Utah Jazz (via Sixers):  SF Maxwell Lewis

29. Nuggets (via Celtics):  SF Jaime Jaquez Jr.

30.  Los Angeles Clippers (via Bucks):  PF Gregory Jackson

• Like 1