UPDATED: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

G08

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

The Saquon Barkley argument is going to be very interesting. I’m intrigued by it and at this point I’m not ready to rule him out.

I wouldn't be opposed to Barkley, honestly....

but... it'd require one of the following:

1.-Cohen to WR 90%+ of the time

-Barkley used as a WR a -bit-, not unlike we did when we had Forte.

-More OL talent/depth, for how insanely run oriented we will become in order to get Howard and Barkley and Cohen enough touches each week.

-An extremely talented OC/HC to balance getting them each on the field and enough touches.

Or 2. Trading Howard

Don't really see either of those options being all that likely, tbh...but from a pure "BPA" perspective, Barkley is imo easily a top 5 pick/talent in this draft class.

I would love to find a way of getting Chubb then moving back to a 4-3 with an Elephant End and a Leo...

Even if we couldn't get him play Hicks at Elephant and Floyd as a Leo with Goldman and another massive DT inside like DaQuan Jones...those three upfront would dominate the line of scrummage and let our LBs run free behind...4-2-5 with some 3-4 concepts is the way to go in the NFL...see the Jags and Seahawks.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I think @pigsooie5 mentioned it in another thread but Arden Key is one and Clelin Ferrell is another. Harold Landry as well.

If not Chubb then Landry is my guy on the edge among the other 1st round guys. To me that’s draft need #1 and it’s not particularly close. We definitely need another stud pass rusher across from Floyd, and FA is pretty bare. Outside of QB that to me is the single biggest game changing position on the field.

I also expect we will address WR and CB in FA to the extent that they won’t be 1st round needs come April, and I don’t see OL as a 1st round need. I think we need developmental depth to compete with Massie. I like Nelson a ton but I can’t see taking a guard in the top 10. Sitton is aging but still really good, and healthy Long which we should be getting back in 2018 is a stud. Whitehair struggles the first month with snap issues but has since rectified them and gotten back to being a building block at the pivot IMO. 

I am not sure how much we can rely on Long and Sitton moving forward.

Sitton is clearly on the decline, still good, but falling off each year. This year has been worse than last.

Long is beat to hell. I am not 100% he ever totally gets over that ankle injury.

Fat guys heal and age differently.

I think Jordan Morgan got a redshirt year this season to get stronger and if the Bears like what they see out of him I wouldn't be surprised to see Sitton cut in the off-season. Then again, we might prefer to use him as depth if we don't believe Sitton is on the decline.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

If not Chubb then Landry is my guy on the edge among the other 1st round guys. To me that’s draft need #1 and it’s not particularly close. We definitely need another stud pass rusher across from Floyd, and FA is pretty bare. Outside of QB that to me is the single biggest game changing position on the field.

I also expect we will address WR and CB in FA to the extent that they won’t be 1st round needs come April, and I don’t see OL as a 1st round need. I think we need developmental depth to compete with Massie. I like Nelson a ton but I can’t see taking a guard in the top 10. Sitton is aging but still really good, and healthy Long which we should be getting back in 2018 is a stud. Whitehair struggles the first month with snap issues but has since rectified them and gotten back to being a building block at the pivot IMO. 

I'm with you AZ. Pass rusher is without a doubt the biggest need. I don't see the value in investing a 1st round  pick in this WR class.  There will be guys available in the mid rounds and they will have FA to address WR along with Meredith and White being back.  I'm not worried there.

14 minutes ago, G08 said:

I think Jordan Morgan got a redshirt year this season to get stronger and if the Bears like what they see out of him I wouldn't be surprised to see Sitton cut in the off-season. Then again, we might prefer to use him as depth if we don't believe Sitton is on the decline.

Morgan and also Kush are really the wild cards here. Both are under contract next year for essentially nothing. I suspect the plan is that they are at worst our depth interior OL next year (Kush can play C) and ideally one of them excels to the point where a salary like Sitton’s becomes expendable, though I suspect we’d probably carry Sitton in that scenario through preseason before letting him go. 

3 hours ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Rumors are that Texans could move on from Bill O Brien, which would be strange, but it would probably also make them the top opening at HC

Especially since he had Watson playing so well before the injury. Nobody would go to the Super Bowl with Tom Savage as the QB, not sure what expectations would be with him in this situation.

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure how much we can rely on Long and Sitton moving forward.

Sitton is clearly on the decline, still good, but falling off each year. This year has been worse than last.

Long is beat to hell. I am not 100% he ever totally gets over that ankle injury.

Fat guys heal and age differently.

I like the idea of stealing Corey Linsley away from GB and moving Whitehair to one of the guard spots.

I'm in no rush to move Whitehair from C. He has so much strength in his lower half that he can stand up some NTs one-on-one (he's the anti-Grasu in that regard). Keep him there, let him continue to hone his craft.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm in no rush to move Whitehair from C. He has so much strength in his lower half that he can stand up some NTs one-on-one (he's the anti-Grasu in that regard). Keep him there, let him continue to hone his craft.

I am not in a rush to move him, but it is a stacked free agent class.

I will be very interested to see who our DC is as that could have a huge impact on CBs that we go after.

Archived