Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Something that pisses me off about Okoro- Why does he suck at rebounding? I know he’s only 6’5, but Curry averages double the amount of rebounds he does.

He's always on the perimeter...usually in the corners. And to the earlier point, yeah, our bigs eat them up. He doesn't allow consistent drives to the lane, so he doesn't get as many boards as guys like Curry or even D-Mitchell.

He is a fine rebounder and does a good job on the offensive glass when he's down there...he's just a perimeter dude that isn't asked to get boards.

I don't see Okoro struggling to box people out or go up and get the basketball. Rebounding is the "tackles" of the NBA. It's not a supremely important statistic to look at if you place it contextually.

9 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He's always on the perimeter...usually in the corners. And to the earlier point, yeah, our bigs eat them up. He doesn't allow consistent drives to the lane, so he doesn't get as many boards as guys like Curry or even D-Mitchell.

He is a fine rebounder and does a good job on the offensive glass when he's down there...he's just a perimeter dude that isn't asked to get boards.

I don't see Okoro struggling to box people out or go up and get the basketball. Rebounding is the "tackles" of the NBA. It's not a supremely important statistic to look at if you place it contextually.

I mostly agree with this. Cavs rank 15th in oreb% (which is mostly scheme - we dont crash) and 4th in dreb%.  So we are a strong rebounding team. Isaac stays on the wings/perimeter and boxes out. 

Isaac also just in general isn't a gifted rebounder. Curry is a natural at tracking the ball. 

Isaacs best strength on offense (by far) is transition scoring and he leaks out early and gets a lot of free layups as well. 

I'd say its 60% scheme, 40% its not his strength. But overall I think it doesnt hurt us. 

27 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

I mostly agree with this. Cavs rank 15th in oreb% (which is mostly scheme - we dont crash) and 4th in dreb%.  So we are a strong rebounding team. Isaac stays on the wings/perimeter and boxes out. 

Isaac also just in general isn't a gifted rebounder. Curry is a natural at tracking the ball. 

Isaacs best strength on offense (by far) is transition scoring and he leaks out early and gets a lot of free layups as well. 

I'd say its 60% scheme, 40% its not his strength. But overall I think it doesnt hurt us. 

I think it just takes time.

It took LeBron a little while to have a good jumpshot

I got to go to the Washington game with my daughter, was a blast. Totally dominant performance and super well-rounded. Three dominant games in a row now with Indy and Detroit. Not great teams, but we're doing what we're supposed to do.

I can't make my mind up on Levert. He's trying, he's got a great attitude, he's putting in work. But if Garland/Mitchell are playing 36-38 minutes a pop in the playoffs I don't see a great fit for Levert over Wade/Okoro. 

On 2/7/2023 at 1:47 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

They played a bottom feeder team without Beal. I want to see this consistently vs playoff teams. 

Your relentless negativity is good to be able to count on.

But it's not really warranted. We were expected by most to be the 6th-8th seed this year and need the year to adjust and grow. Instead, we're the favorite to host a playoff series, maybe even make the #3 seed. It's a great year so far and it's been tons of fun, even with the frustrating moments.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, FGK said:

I got to go to the Washington game with my daughter, was a blast. Totally dominant performance and super well-rounded. Three dominant games in a row now with Indy and Detroit. Not great teams, but we're doing what we're supposed to do.

I can't make my mind up on Levert. He's trying, he's got a great attitude, he's putting in work. But if Garland/Mitchell are playing 36-38 minutes a pop in the playoffs I don't see a great fit for Levert over Wade/Okoro. 

I think the fit is if someone goes down he’s capable of stepping in and being that other guy who can assume some of the scoring burden.

If not, he’s gonna be the odd man out.

9 hours ago, FGK said:

Your relentless negativity is good to be able to count on.

But it's not really warranted. We were expected by most to be the 6th-8th seed this year and need the year to adjust and grow. Instead, we're the favorite to host a playoff series, maybe even make the #3 seed. It's a great year so far and it's been tons of fun, even with the frustrating moments.

I think people forget just how young and inexperienced this team is. We have one key piece over 25.  DG, Mobley and Okoro are all under 23. 

It’s gonna take time.

A realistic expectation for this season is to make the playoffs and HOPEFULLY win a series.  If they can get 2 playoff series under their belts that’s huge moving forward.  

The idea of playing for a ring shouldn’t enter anyone’s head for like another 2 seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think people forget just how young and inexperienced this team is. We have one key piece over 25.  DG, Mobley and Okoro are all under 23. 

It’s gonna take time.

A realistic expectation for this season is to make the playoffs and HOPEFULLY win a series.  If they can get 2 playoff series under their belts that’s huge moving forward.  

The idea of playing for a ring shouldn’t enter anyone’s head for like another 2 seasons.

The only thing I disagree with is that I'd be okay making a "let's get a title" move next year if there is an obvious one that fits.

Having been at the game Monday in Washington, man, Okoro is figuring it out. He looks completely different than how he did at the start of the year. He's playing efficient offense, really good point of attack D, he's actually PASSING pretty well, and his threat on the 3 has been obvious (a BIG reason Allen has dominated the last few games is that Okoro's man isn't floating as far into the paint as they have been early in the season). I think his D actually gets UNDERrated because we put him on the opponent's best offensive perimeter player, so he gets cooked more than he would just lining up and guarding whoever is across from him positionally. 

Mobley is making the little steps now that we're into the season that many of us expected right away into year two. Being more aggressive with his quickness inside, being a nightmare for opposing offenses, even doing a little playmaking and making great passes from the top of the key and in 4/5 two man game around the hoop. Really fun to see.

I'm just having so much fun with this year. We probably won't win a chip, heck we probably should even be favored to make the ECF. But we have a puncher's chance on both and who would've guessed that at the start of the year?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, FGK said:

The only thing I disagree with is that I'd be okay making a "let's get a title" move next year if there is an obvious one that fits.

I just meant with the current roster.  We have  2 guys with notable playoff experience and one of them is Love’s irrelevant arse.

Having been at the game Monday in Washington, man, Okoro is figuring it out. He looks completely different than how he did at the start of the year. He's playing efficient offense, really good point of attack D, he's actually PASSING pretty well, and his threat on the 3 has been obvious (a BIG reason Allen has dominated the last few games is that Okoro's man isn't floating as far into the paint as they have been early in the season). I think his D actually gets UNDERrated because we put him on the opponent's best offensive perimeter player, so he gets cooked more than he would just lining up and guarding whoever is across from him positionally. 

I was at the Pacers game Sunday and thought the same thing.  He’s figuring it out. He just need to be more consistent long term, but he’s getting there,

Mobley is making the little steps now that we're into the season that many of us expected right away into year two. Being more aggressive with his quickness inside, being a nightmare for opposing offenses, even doing a little playmaking and making great passes from the top of the key and in 4/5 two man game around the hoop. Really fun to see.

He’s so absurdly mobile for someone with his length.  Once he learns the game a bit and gets stronger… whew. Turner gave him the business on Sunday, but he’s a load.

I'm just having so much fun with this year. We probably won't win a chip, heck we probably should even be favored to make the ECF. But we have a puncher's chance on both and who would've guessed that at the start of the year?

Yep.  It’s been a lot of fun.

• Like 1