Training camp news and discussion

JAF-N72EX

9 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Yet it isn’t otherwise the teams wouldn’t be able to just cut players still under contract. Which you haven’t said yet, are you ok with the teams doing that?

I am okay with that, 100%. Focus on guaranteed money when signing your deals.

13 hours ago, G08 said:

This will be the last from me, but the "say" they have in it is when their union agrees to the CBA. This is black-and-white.

Roquan was in high school when the CBA was collectively bargained. You can argue he had no representation in that negotiation.

I agree with your premise in general, but the NFL has a very common precedent of re-working star players' contracts in the final year. Roquan is not doing anything extraordinary here.

22 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

"What's the deal with this Musterpher guy anyway? I wanna see Doug Kreamer, the local kid!"

I think Mustipher or Whitehair have to go to center now.   Kramer as starter would be surprising.  Or another vet signing off street.  

15 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Borom and Jenkins are the only two young guys on the OL who look like they could be potential long term fixtures --Braxton Jones maybe to some degree if you believe the reports.  If Borom and Jenkins don't get the start then it's absolutely giving up on them. By definition. Which again would be stupid. Especially in Jenkins case. The man was considered a R1 prospect and you don't even give him a chance after 1 year?!

Why do these guys just get handed starting spots? They (more so Jenkins) clearly aren’t earning them, and the Coaching staff doesn’t believe at this time they are the best option. 

This Staff and Front Office have ZERO invested in these guys. They are sunk costs, so unless they play at a high enough level to earn reps, they aren’t going to play. Seems simple, and seems like you are responding off an emotional attachment (by way of draft capital) to them

15 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

No team wants an entire OL filled with fringe starters and stop-gaps. That can get Fields killed. We've seen this movie before.

Ofcourse no one WANTS all stop gaps, but sometimes you have to do what is needed in the short term. 

Sliding in guys like Reiff and Schofield, reliable yet uninspiring veterans, are the exact things being done in order to not get Fields killed

Your suggestion to blindly play Jenkins and other young guys regardless of performance level just to “get them reps” and let them “figure it out” is the exact thing that would put Fields in danger.

Anyone starting to think Teven Jenkins might be out with covid? Adam Jahns says he saw him day 1 of TC then he disappeared…no one has seen him since…if it was an injury you would expect him to still be around the facility getting treatment and Flus only termed it as “woke up with something” maybe he is being told to stay away to cut down the risk of infection.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Anyone starting to think Teven Jenkins might be out with covid? Adam Jahns says he saw him day 1 of TC then he disappeared…no one has seen him since…if it was an injury you would expect him to still be around the facility getting treatment and Flus only termed it as “woke up with something” maybe he is being told to stay away to cut down the risk of infection.

There has been a lot of speculation that it is covid, but he's working with trainers today. So, it's gotta be something else. Very weird that we haven't been told what...

• Like 1

Everything I am reading and seeing today is saying the offence is starting to look better and more on par with the defence…Fields locked in…Velus Jones looking like he will become the #2 receiver quickly…Jones & Carter still getting reps with the 1s…roll on Tuesday so we can get some padded practice in…defensively I really want to see Robinson who apparently has been getting plenty of pressure so far…if he can deal with the physical side of the game then that could be a steal for us…hoping for Mark Anderson 2.0

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Everything I am reading and seeing today is saying the offence is starting to look better and more on par with the defence…Fields locked in…Velus Jones looking like he will become the #2 receiver quickly…Jones & Carter still getting reps with the 1s…roll on Tuesday so we can get some padded practice in…defensively I really want to see Robinson who apparently has been getting plenty of pressure so far…if he can deal with the physical side of the game then that could be a steal for us…hoping for Mark Anderson 2.0

Carter continuing to get run with the 1s even after Schofield is now rotating in is noteworthy to me. Let’s see it in pads though. I wonder if he still would be had Mustipher not had to shift over with the Patrick injury. I’m curious to see if Jones keeps getting 1 reps with Reiff getting more up to pace in the coming days too.

Getting harder and harder to see where Jenkins is going to fit in when he gets back. This regime has no ties to him, so if he’s not gonna even be our swing tackle this year I wonder if they’d look to move him in a preseason trade. Depending on how the preseason plays out I wouldn’t hate the idea of swapping him to the Giants for Darius Slayton. As it looks right now both players may be looking at pink slips at the end of August. The Giants don’t need starters at tackle, but they also don’t have anything of note behind as depth at OT either. Slayton is buried on their depth chart. His deep speed is a great fit here, and he’s got a history with some NFL success. He’d bring a $2.5M price tag for 2022 after which he is a UFA. If he worked out he’d make sense to bring back (he’s 25 years old), and if he ended up elsewhere he’d be a plus in next offseason’s comp pick formula. If Poles & Co. see Jenkins as a complete miss then may as well get something for him now if you can - a 2022 season on the bench for him before replacing him anyway gets you nothing at all. Same can seemingly be said for the Giants and Slayton.

Edited by AZBearsFan

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

He said he is working through something with trainers… why he vague if it is Covid.

The weird vagueness makes me think it is his back again