Jim Harbaugh vs Kyle Shanahan

biggie.

Better HC  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Harbaugh or Shanahan

• Jim Harbaugh
    • Kyle Shanahan

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I think Kyle is a good coach but I'd still say Harbaugh was better and I think Kyle is pretty overrated.

I think Kyle is pretty flawed as a head coach when it comes to decisions. Brilliant offensive mind with a scheme that bails him out of some of his own issues when it comes to coaching decision. If we were to comp him to a player he's the guy with insane athletic gifts who doesn't really know how to play football, but still gets some stuff done. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think Kyle is pretty flawed as a head coach when it comes to decisions. Brilliant offensive mind with a scheme that bails him out of some of his own issues when it comes to coaching decision. If we were to comp him to a player he's the guy with insane athletic gifts who doesn't really know how to play football, but still gets some stuff done. 

I'm interested to see how he develops Trey Lance and if having a QB with elite physical tools unlocks his scheme. He has a lot riding on him panning out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'm interested to see how he develops Trey Lance and if having a QB with elite physical tools unlocks his scheme. He has a lot riding on him panning out.

I'm not super bullish on it right now, but I'm not overly scared or worried. I have a hard time seeing him just be actively bad, so it should be okay. I think he'll be fine, but I am not sure he's going to be a super star or anything. If the team stays afloat during his rookie contract, Kyle is probably just fine. Sort of a weird situation where the rest of hte roster is so good, it may make up for him not getting the QB to be a stud. 

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Kyle has 2 winning seasons in 5 years and is 39-42 overall, Harbaugh never had a losing season in SF and was 44-19-1 in 4 years. Kyle love fest is weird to me.

Look at the context of situations. Jim walked into a completely loaded roster from the get go. He also does not offer much in terms of scheme and play calling. Kyle has the most innovative scheme in the entire NFL. 

On 7/26/2022 at 4:33 PM, GW21 said:

Harbaugh is perfect for college football IMO. Our players were getting sick of his antics by his third or fourth year here; I specifically remember Alex Boone calling him out. He’s great if you are looking to kickstart a team, but I think his behavior can get tired. I was really hoping he’d get that Minnesota job as I think they could have made a deep run with him at the helm.

I literally stopped being a UM fan because of his clownshow. How can you root for that?

58 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I literally stopped being a UM fan because of his clownshow. How can you root for that?

After a decade of absolutely awful football in SF, it was really easy to get on board. He always stuck up for his players and was an exciting coach. 

I haven’t really followed him at UM, so I can’t speak to what he’s been doing there, but I know they just beat Ohio St for the first time in a decade last year. 

*Edit* 
I also didn’t really say I was rooting for him either. I know how much of a child he can be, and I’m left wondering if the exodus of players we had before his last year might have been less had he not been around.

Edited by GW21

Jim is clearly better. He help Alex Smith career start to be good and then he took a QB in Kaep who shouldve not been ready to really compete for the starting job until at least his 3rd season. He took him in a year and half and made him work. At one point people thought Kaep not only was the best QB in the league but a future HOF'er. Thats how good he was with Jim. And Im confident enough to say with Jim, the Niners wouldnt have blown two 10pt 4th quarter leads one in the Superbowl and the other in the NFCCG.

Now with Kyle, I really like him and his reputation is definitely tied to Lance. Lance can technically be to him what Kaep was to Jim. Just like Smith was to Jim and obviously Jimmy G is to Kyle. If Lance is anything close to what Kaep was with Jim then Kyle is going to look like a genius for what he did by going up to get Lance. If Lance falls on his face then Kyle wont be the coach for the Niners too long and he will be looked at in a lesser light.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 7:33 AM, GW21 said:

Harbaugh is perfect for college football IMO. Our players were getting sick of his antics by his third or fourth year here; I specifically remember Alex Boone calling him out. He’s great if you are looking to kickstart a team, but I think his behavior can get tired. I was really hoping he’d get that Minnesota job as I think they could have made a deep run with him at the helm. 

I think Kyle is all ball 24/7 and doesn’t play the games that Harbaugh played pitting people against each other. Im super jacked that we’ve got Shanahan and hope he sticks around for a long time.

Yeah, but Alex Boone came off as a doofus with what he said. I believe the quote was "We already got over the mountain", when in reality the 49ers hadn't won anything. And shortly after that Alex Boone was never heard from again. 

Anyway, Shanahan >>>>>> Jim Harbaugh, but one shouldn't utilize Boone's words of wisdom to get to that conclusion heehaw.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

13 hours ago, Forge said:

People are misremembering the pre-Harbaugh years as though the 49ers were awful. Mike Singletary was only 4 games under .500 as the head coach preceding Harbaugh. They weren't bad, they were just largely mediocre with bad coaching. Honestly, one of Harbaugh's biggest contributions to the win total was the staff that he brought with him and then just stabilizing the coaching on his end and not being incompetent. We had one of the highest paid assistant coach groups in the NFL and he brought studs and very competent coaches with him.  But a lot of the pieces were there and then some more pieces were added by Baalke in that first year Harbaugh was there. 

Really? I thought the Singletary years were borderline unwatchable record be damned. Couldn't even capitalize on a division that had a 7-9 winner one year. 

I guess despite having acquired some talent, the thought of Singletary as head coach made me gag reflex enough times, that I saw no future with him around. The feeling of no light at the end of the tunnel is the worst as a fan. 

Off point, but yeah. 

• Like 1

Like some have already stated, situation matters. There was a point after 1982 where Don Coryell was 92-55-1 as a head coach of the Cardinals/Chargers, and Marv Levy was 31-42 as head coach of the Chiefs. No one in their right mind would have thought Marv would be the one that would end up in the HOF and Coryell would still not have made it by 2022 20 or so years after Marv's induction. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Shanny.

The only reason Jim is being brought up is another case of recency bias due to his last season in college. He is what 7-8 years removed from the NFL? Trying to maintain a group of unpaid kids in college is far easier to do than dealing with a group of grown men who are getting paid at a significantly more complex level.

43 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Really? I thought the Singletary years were borderline unwatchable record be damned. Couldn't even capitalize on a division that had a 7-9 winner one year. 

I guess despite having acquired some talent, the thought of Singletary as head coach made me gag reflex enough times, that I saw no future with him around. The feeling of no light at the end of the tunnel is the worst as a fan. 

Off point, but yeah. 

The coaching staff during those years was just so bad. A Jimmy raye offense? Dear God. Just cruel.  Talent wasn't awful though imo. I think they were a mediocre team that was made worse by coaching

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Look at the context of situations. Jim walked into a completely loaded roster from the get go. He also does not offer much in terms of scheme and play calling. Kyle has the most innovative scheme in the entire NFL. 

Absolutely no one thought SF would come a muffed punt away from reaching the Super Bowl in Harbaugh's first season.