What is you favorite / or most hated football colloquialism?

brownie man

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

Not a colloquialism, but the overuse of the term "lucrative deal" is cringe to me.  

Anytime anyone someone refers to an injury as "he/I have a hamstring/ankle/etc" has always bothered me.  Mostly because I already have two of them,

Oh yeah, to both of them. They're all 'lucrative' deals, it's the NFL

"He's out with a groin." .........finish the sentence, or?...

"Went up to catch the ball at its highest point"- the Ball will follow a parabolic trajectory, the highest point will be something like 15 feet int the air midway between the release point and the catch point, no one catches it there.  What you want is to catch the ball at the highest point *of your jump*, but you're basically catching the ball at the lowest point it's had since shortly after it left the quarterback's hand no matter how you catch it.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 9:36 PM, fluhartz said:

He has Moxie. If it hasn't already been mentioned...  hate that 

I'm with you there.

"He has moxie and plays with passion"

I hate that.  Sure, there a very select few who are only in the game for money but damn near every professional player has drive, moxie, passion, and any other word like it.  That's part of the reason why their pros in the first place.

• Like 2

You guys are a tough crowd, lol. 

I hate “[insert CB here] shuts down half the field”. There’s no single player doing remotely close to that. Even Sherman in that Cover 3 wasn’t shutting down a third of the field (although came a little close vs Rodgers). Just say that they lock up the other team’s receiver, that’s enough. 

Any colloquialism that was associated with Hines Ward is my least favorite.

Building off that "keep your head on a swivel", which is now not really used, probably was my least favorite colloquialism of all time.  The idea that defenders are taught to have 360 awareness while pursuing the ball was always absurd, even when blindside blocks were legal, it would have just sufficed to say "that's unfortunate" instead of suggesting the defender is taught to do something that is physically impossible. 

Edited by Rod Johnson